What's new

Need advice - Onkyo TX-SR800 with JBL N24II? (1 Viewer)

Paul*V

Auditioning
I ordered an Onkyo TX-SR800 and am now looking for new speakers to go with. I'm thinking of ordering the JBL NSP 1II 5 piece speaker set, which includes 4 JBL N24II speakers and 1 JBL N-CenterII speaker. Any thoughts on this combo? Am I running a risk of overpowering the JBL speakers (I notice that these speakers are on the low end in terms of cost, but the N24II seem to have gotten decent enough reviews as far as I can tell)?

(I would have tried a search for this, but the search function is down right now).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Am I running a risk of overpowering the JBL speakers ...
Nope, with a powered-sub and REFERENCED Calibrated, you should be able to achieve a comfortable 106 dB** Fast SPL LFE Peaks (approx. -10 dB below REF LEVEL / RS Meter Dial = 110 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST) easily without the fear of blowing the drivers (**achieved in my 20' x 30' HT/family room). For 2-1/2 years, 106 dB was my AVG SPL for my once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD presentations / AV Receiver = Yamaha RX-V995 - 100w x5, which sounded glorious and better than our local Theaters - a praise I heard a lot by my family & friends over for the Friday NITE DVD movie!!!

My original JBL NSP1 (APR '00) w/AudioSource SW15 are now @ my vacation and my Yamaha RX-V995 will soon follow since I just updated to 6.1 via Yamaha RX-V1300!!! :)

Hope this helps,
Phil

KyleGS

Second Unit
No doubt these will go great with your ONK. If you have a decent sub I would say go for it. BTW- what sub are you running? I suggest crossing over @ ~100hz (most receivers do). I had the same worries as you when setting up my mom's HT with these JBL's. She has a huge room with towering ceilings and the little JBL's did the job. She is only running about a true 45w per spk. and easily reaching deafening levels. Oh- and Phil knows what he is talking about. :p :)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Paul, in my opinion that's a lot of reciever for those speakers. The N and S series are good speakers for what they cost. At one time I had an S-Center and S26's but felt I could have done better....You'll probably be happy but I'd think you should consider something more up to par with your reciever. (also don't go by website reviews, make up your own opinions :emoji_thumbsup: ). Are they going to be more for music or HT ?

Paul*V

Auditioning
Kyle - I actually have a JBL powered sub right now. It's kind of old, and I don't know what model it is (meant to look that up last night).

Anthony - I too was thinking that perhaps better (more expensive?) speakers would be a better match, but was trying to gauge people's opinions as to whether I would be alright going with the JBLs. My setup is almost all HT, and very little music. Any suggestions for alternatives?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Paul, if it's mostly HT you should be OK. If you were maybe 50/50 ht and music I would give Polk a try. They have a forum at the polk site, maybe you should look around the site for ideas..Oh, I almost forgot, I purchased a pair of N26II's for my father in-law as a present, and they do sound pretty good with music ($129/pr at JandR.com).:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks