What's new

New GC owner needing advice (1 Viewer)

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I've owned an Xbox for sometime but recently purchased a GC for my daughters. I currently own Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball 2.

My quesion is, what AAA titles should I be considering that I may have missed?

Thanks for your suggestions.

WallyB

Agent
Metroid Prime would be first on the list. Pikmin is also a fun first-party title that can be had for not much $. You can't go wrong with Zelda:Wind Waker. These are the best GCN exclusives, IMO.

Enjoy.

By the way, I strongly recommend the Wavebird wireless controller. I have 2, and love them.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Thanks for the recommendation. I own two first party controllers but was thinking of getting one more so I can join my girls in som Monkey Party games. How long do the batteries in the Wave Bird last and what is the range on it?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
How long do the batteries in the Wave Bird last and what is the range on it?
Battery life shouldn't be an issue...but you have to remember to switch the WaveBird off when you're done. I've replaced my batteries once, but that's because I accidentally left it on when I was on vacation once.

The range is very good, and it's great that you don't need line-of-sight. I sit 12 feet away from my 'Cube and have no problems. I also highly recommend it.

I am in the .000000000001% of the population that didn't care for Metroid Prime, but that doesn't mean I can't say it was an extremely well made game. My gripes had to do with the control scheme that I was unwilling to adapt to, and all the scanning of things you had to do. I just didn't *care* enough to get into the game. Had I played past the first 2 hours, I would have doubtless felt differently.

Of course, if you got this for your daughters, they may not care for that type of game anyway.

I've heard that Animal Crossing is fun, but I've never played it.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Trevor, are you looking for games for yourself or the kids? ;)

You can get Eternal Darkness for pretty cheap now and it's a GREAT second-party title, scary as heck and a very mature and engrossing storyline.

For the kids, I can't recommend Animal Crossing highly enough. Actually, it's great for everybody. If your girls are creative in the least they'll probably love it to death. It's a lot of fun. And all three of you can have your own houses in a clever virtual community that cycles day and night and follows the calendar.

Metroid and Zelda as also suggested are amazing games themselves.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Mark, I'm looking for games for me of course :).

My daughters are quite happy as it is with the current games that we have. I'm not sure how long it'll keep them happy, but I'll probably end up getting SSB:M next. They've played PowerStone 2 on my DC to death so I think this would be right up their alley.

I'm looking for GC only games (mature) that are worth purchasing. There's only so much Mario and Monkeys this man can take :D .

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
You can get Eternal Darkness for pretty cheap now and it's a GREAT second-party title, scary as heck and a very mature and engrossing storyline.
Here, here. I saw it yesterday at my local Gamestop for $12.99 used; I HIGHLY recommend picking this one up. It is pretty freaky, but a great game for that price.

The only other suggestion I have is Rogue Squadron 2, if you're into shooters or Star Wars. It was a launch game, I'm sure you can find for under $20 somewhere. Have fun!

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
If you like the Batman animated series, I'd recommend Batman: Vengence. Some people don't care for it but as a fan, I love it. And it should be cheap.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 or 4 are definite recommendations. Mario Party 4, Waverace, and Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 are good titles too, depending on prefereces.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
the Resident Evil remake is a blast and has AMAZING graphics. Resident Evil 0 is very good as well. I also second Metroid Prime, excellent game. In addition, if you can find any copies of the Zelda Ocarina of Time bonus disc, pick that one up along with The Wind Waker. while the wind waker was far from perfect it's a damn fine game as is OOT. Animal Crossing is interesting but I couldn't really get into it. I think it'd be a great game to play with your daughters though as you can each have your own towns and do all sorts of other fun stuff. While you have Super Monkey Ball 2, I've heard that monkey target is butchered compared to the version in the original Monkey Ball. My friends and I have spent countless hours playing the original monkey target. Pikmin might be worth a look as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
While the RE series is getting milked, pretty much every game is good enough to buy at some point (except the RE2 and 3 for GCN). Get RE1 and RE0.

Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Brothers: Melee
Pikmin
Rogue Leader
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime

see any recurring titles?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Monkey Target in SMB2 is better because it's multiplayer all at once (instead of turns on SMB1), but they took out fun stuff like the clouds and Spiky Balls. Gotta love cute little monkeys being skewered on Giant Spiky Balls.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Re: Monkey Target 2: My daughters can't get enough of it. That's their favourite game next to Monkey Race and Boxing.

I'm not a big fan of the RE series so I think I'll pass on that.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
You might want to at least give the RE's a rent Trevor, they really sent the graphics through the roof for that one. And if the control was really painful for you, the Cube has Control Scheme C, which I think is the best way to play it myself.

But I love RE, so I have rose-colored glasses ;).

Since you're looking for yourself, definitely try Eternal Darkness. As noted above, you can get it quite cheap, and it was worth a look back when it was brand new.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I picked up a Gamecube recently and here's my two cents:

Metroid Prime (absolutely fantastic)
Zelda: The Wind Waker (different, but also very good)
Rogue Squadron (great, if you like Star Wars)
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil I (the remake)
NBA 2K3 ($15.00 at EB games)
Tiger Woods 2K3 (got it at Target for $15.00- had a blast!)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, forgot to recommend Zelda and Mario. Mario Sunshine should be fun for the kids, albeit really hard in some ways and really simple and fun in others.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since all my first choices have been mentioned (Metroid P, zelda WW). If you like zelda I would definitely recommend the expansion disk that was offered with the new zelda, the OoT: Master Quest is excellent. If you are into RPG's I would also recommend Skies of Arcadia: Legends. It's excellent, and has some interesting elements.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I finally got a GC last week (Metroid only just released here) with the following games:

Metroid Prime: Amazing game, easily the best i've played in a long time. I'm so slow at most games, I am only about 24% complete in about 6hrs of playtime.

Super Mario Sunshine: Haven't played it a whole lot, but from what i've played its been fun - looking forward to sitting down with it for a few hours.

Rogue Leader: Only $30AU, can't go wrong. Bit of a 'meh' game for me. Thought it might have been a bit more fun, maybe its because i've been playing too much Orta on the XBox recently.

Zelda isn't released here until the 9th of May, but its on pre-order and seems to be another must-own.

The Wavebird is definitely a good purchase, despite having no rumble feature. Much better than having an extension cord on the controller.

DavidBelis

Agent
IMO, the 5 best Gamecube games to date are:

1.Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker - this game is truly phenomenal. It's my single favourite game this 'generation' across all platforms. It's not quite as brilliant and epic and Ocarina of Time was when it first came out, but it's still a fantastic game, which will become a classic.

2.Metroid Prime - There's not much to say about this game. It's all been said before. Great graphics, great story, very original gameplay style (the term First Person Adventure isn't just a merketting gimmick. It really is an action/adventure game in the 1st person perspective - not a first person shooter). I highly recommend it.

3.Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader - a great shooter. Amazing graphics and sound, and is a blast to play. It's incrdibly difficult, though. I've had it since Gamecube's launch on November 18th, 2001, and still haven't been able to unlock 2 levels (Yavin and Endurance).

4.Eternal Darkness - Another great, original game. As good as it is, I still think it's overrated, though, as it tends to be quite repetitive at some points. I still highly recommend it, though, if you can find it for a good price.

5.Splinter Cell - a fantastic Xbox game was ported over to the Gamecube nearly flawlessly. The graphics and sound have been slightly downgraded, but there's the addition of a new weapons, GBA connectivity, plus, some great new FMVs.
I haven't beaten the game yet, but so far, I love it. In case you don't you, it's a 3rd person game in which you play Sam Fisher, a spy sent to Georgia (the country). It's all about stealth. It's a very interesting, great game.

Plus, I would also mention Mario Sunshine, but you already have that.

Also, keep in mind that this year, there are plenty more games that look great, such as Mario Kart Double Dash and the sequel to Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, as well as many others. (check out the threads regarding those two games to learn more about them.)

Also, E3 (Electronic Entertainment Exposition) will be taking place in less than 3 weeks. This is an event in which all the developers reveal more about what games they're releasing in the coming year. They may reveal plenty of brand new, great games at this event.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Everyone, thanks for the list. I'll start looking at my local EB's for some of the older games.

I was at BestBuy the other day and was looking at Ledgend of Zelda. I read a couple of reviews that stated that an updated version of Orcarina of time was included. When I looked at the packaging there was no mention of this. Do all copies of Windwaker come with Ocarina of time? I never played OoT so it would be a great bonus for me if I picked this up.

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks