What's new

Central speaker? (1 Viewer)

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I try to set up my 5.1 surround system after moving to a new house. I actually have a Marantz SR6200 and a Marantz DV4100OSE dvd player, connected to Vieta fronts, Mordaunt Short 304 central and Eltax cinemax surround speakers. But if I tell you the trouth, I'd like to change all of them :frowning:
Fronts are pretty ok, surrounds are more or less affordable and central is ugly. I don't remember it being that bad before I moved in, so maybe it got damaged in the transport... I don't know. In this way, i'd like to have your advise on new stuff.
I'd like to buy PMC TB2 fronts (expensive here in Spain), but keep something for rears and central that can be afforder while keeping good quality. Let's say I could pay around 150 to 200 bucks per speaker. What can be a good central in that range?
Thanks!

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
While I'm not familiar with the speakers brands you mention. Does PMC make a center channel to match the front mains you are interested in? If so, that will give you the best timbre match across the front. Then I'd move the Vientas to the back for your surrounds.

The difference in sound after your move most likely has more to do with the change in acoustic properties between the two rooms and/or changes in seating placement to speaker location. Is the room larger or smaller, have more or less reflective(hard) surfaces then the old room? Those things effect how your speakers sound. Have you redone your sound meter readings and speaker distance adjustments on your receiver since moving?

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, PMC does have a center channel also... problem is, as always, $$. These are pretty expensive speakers (at least for my pocket) and I can afford the fronts. Central is more or less as expensive as one front and I can't consider buying one of these right now. Still I can consider waiting until I collect enough money...

And yes, the new room is larger than the old one, and is L shaped. And I believe surface are harder than the previous ones. Regarding receiver adjustment, that's an issue I never solved, since I don't have an SPL meter to calibrate things propperly. Once I went to a local store to buy one and that was bloody expensive. I guess people living in the states have more models to choose. So is there any way to popperly calibrate speakers without one such device?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
A Radio Shack sound meter will set you back $30 in the states. Have you tried using the test tones on your receiver and just doing it by ear? And setting the distances from your "sweet spot" to each speaker.

Also, you might try the discussion forums at audiogon.com for suggestions on your speakers. I believe their are more European participants on that board who may be familiar with what is readily available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks