What's new

External box available to add low voltage trigger for amps without? (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'm using 3 external amps in my system. My Parasound amp has a connection for a low voltage trigger to power it on and off. My other 2 amps, Hafler DH200, do not have such a trigger.

Is there such a thing as a box I can plug the Hafler amps into so that I can use the low voltage trigger on my Anthem AVM20 pre/proc to turn all the amps on/off?

Thanks!
JimmyK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

One possibility is to find something like a power strip, line conditioner, or similar that can accept a 12V trigger. I believe Panamax makes these (or did). The idea is that the trigger would turn on the power strip, which in turn would supply power to whatever was plugged into it.

I have not tried this myself nor have I seen a system with such a setup. The one possible downfall is that the amps connected to this type of power strip would be completely powered off rather than be in a standby mode (if they have one). I leave it to you to decide if there is an issue with the amps warming up.

Michael

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the response!

Right now all 3 amps are plugged in to a power strip that I use to manually turn the amps on/off.

The Parasound has a standby mode, the Haflers do not. Of course when I turn the power strip off, the Parasound amp goes completely off.

JimmyK

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Jimmy,

Since you mention Parasound, Ive seen recomendations for the Parasound SCAMP, a 4# power center with surge protection and basically a delayed timer function. Comesa with 2 outlets and can be daisy chained.

Dont see the price, but it's certainly solid seeming. Lotsa refs off parasound website and in Google.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Here's the $17.99 solution...the Sear's Auto Switcher. 3 Outlets...the tool/component plugged into the top outlet will activate the bottom two "switched" outlets. Plug your parasound into the top...and have your prepro turn the Parasound ON & OFF, then the parasound will activate the switched outlets (for your other two amps).

All three of my parasound amps do not have triggers, so I only have to turn ONE of them on/off as the Auto Switcher takes care of the other two (which, of course, are always "flipped" ON).

You can also plug the Auto Switcher into the Surge Proctector. Also, I tried the Parasound Scamp 3 years ago, drove me nuts!

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924031000

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out and see what will work for me.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks