78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 David Lambert

David Lambert

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,377 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:09 AM

I just sent this news to Gord to publish at TVShowsOnDVD.com:

ComingSoon.net has started off the morning with this news item which states the following:

Fox Home Entertainment has set an August 26 street date for the release of the third season of The Simpsons on DVD. The studio had originally indicated season three would be out by June, then pushed the date back to July.

Season one of The Simpsons sold a record 1.6 million boxed sets, while the second season moved out an estimated 1.25 million copies.

Fox has set a $49.98 suggested retail price for the four-disc collection of 24 episodes from the 1991-92 season. In addition to commentary, the set will include a discussion of animation with Matt Groening, Jim Brooks and Al Jean; outtakes from numerous episodes; audio of a table read for "Treehouse of Horror II"; an 11-song jukebox feature; and Fox promos for the show.
    [/list]We have not yet been able to verify this information with our Fox sources, but Amazon.com is now showing the same release date. We thank the mysterious stranger known only as "DarkSamurai" for alerting us to the ComingSoon.net posting!

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 79 Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:19 AM

Excellent. Some of the best Simpsons moments are from season 3. I'm looking forward to it!
Regards,
Dave

#3 of 79 James Reader

James Reader

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:21 AM

So it looks like the table read on the just announced UK Futurama Season 3 will be audio only. Posted Image

See here
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#4 of 79 Chuck L

Chuck L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 02:29 AM

Alright! (Just more money coming out of an already expensive August!)

#5 of 79 WillG

WillG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 03:21 AM

Wow, just shy of a year from when S2 came out. Keep em coming Fox
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 79 Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:11 AM

wow...

I'd like to have the whole series while dvd is still the format... Posted Image

I'm ready to say ***k the extras. A year in between is insane.
" Maam....maybe you don't understand, you ripped my clients arm off "

#7 of 79 Haden

Haden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:22 AM

Fox also just announced a release date of April 1, 2014 for The Simpsons season 14, now on the HDHDVD format (high definition holographic DVD). Posted Image

#8 of 79 Craig_T

Craig_T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 05:51 AM

Didn't Season 2 come out in early or mid-August of 2002? That's over a year between seasons. The actual first run televised seasons themselves come out faster than this. They're actually losing ground now.

#9 of 79 KerryK

KerryK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:09 AM

Wah wah wah. I guess they just shouldn't release it because of the SHAME of taking a year to get it all together. Or maybe they should skimp on the extras or quality. Or maybe they should all work 24/7 for the good of geekmanity. God knows noone around here has anything else to watch! Posted Image

Let's just be happy we have Futurama and a release date for S3!

#10 of 79 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:11 AM

Amazon just made it available for Pre-Order...
http://www.amazon.co....ref=t_th_em_po

#11 of 79 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:12 AM

So is it really the prep time that takes so long, or are they spreading out the releases for another reason?

#12 of 79 Haden

Haden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:16 AM

I doubt prep time has anything to do with it. I'm sure it's partially due to clearing music rights for certain episodes, and also to maximize sales on previous season releases before putting out the next set.

I bet it's mainly a music rights issue though.

#13 of 79 Craig_T

Craig_T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:46 AM

Hell yea, the Simpsons release schedule is just fine with me! Even if it takes three years between releases it's all for the better. God knows the quality contol on these releases so far has been second to none. What a bunch of ungrateful crybabies. Just be happy you still have your health and are able to buy DVDs at all.

Signed,
A. Tool

#14 of 79 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:54 AM

So long as we have Futurama to tide us over, I don't mind the wait too much. But two per year would be nice Fox. Now if only someone would give us a Sequal to the Simpsons Arcade game to tide us over even further Posted Image..

#15 of 79 JohnS

JohnS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:03 AM

YES! Finally, the Woodrow Wilson episode will be mine!

#16 of 79 WillG

WillG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:11 AM

"I'm ready to say ***k the extras. A year in between is insane."

The sad thing is that, other than the commentaties, there aren't that many valuable extra features.

Where is the deleted footage?
Where are the other Tracy Ullman shorts?
And when can we get a real doc on the creation of episodes, besides the under 10min featurette.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#17 of 79 Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:01 AM

Looking forward to owning this too. It'll be interesting to listen to the quality of the commentaries. One would think they be starting to run of things to say by this point. Posted Image

#18 of 79 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
Didn't Season 2 come out in early or mid-August of 2002? That's over a year between seasons. The actual first run televised seasons themselves come out faster than this. They're actually losing ground now.

Yep. Season 2 was released in early August 2002. Season 3 is being released a little over a year later. But I am happy to hear that Simpsons Season 3 is coming to DVD.

Quote:
Where are the other Tracy Ullman shorts?

From what I have heard, is that the current owners of the Simpsons shorts from the Tracy Ullman Show wont sell the rights for a reasonable price.

#19 of 79 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:27 AM

I still have faith that these season sets will pick up momentum in a few years...once Matt G. is done with the newest episodes.

I tape 4 episodes a day on my ReplayTV...that's enough to keep me happy until the DVD's come out. The commentary tracks are so great that I actually watch the shows on tv and think "I wonder what they'd say about THIS particular part" Posted Image

I can't wait, but if I have to, I will.

#20 of 79 Haden

Haden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, I'm willing to wait for the season sets if they are spending the time to produce extras. I do NOT want bare-bones releases. What would be the point of that, when this show has several episodes reran on tv every day in syndication. The DVD sets should be a definitive collection of the episodes, and therefore it's nice to get something EXTRA in addition to the episodes themselves. At least for these first few seasons, which are easily the best in the series. If they want to put a rush on seasons 10+ when the time comes, then so be it. By then, I doubt there will be much left to talk about in commentaries or documentaries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow