Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Identifying DVDs you've watched and those you haven't

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 07:52 AM

As I'm thinking of changing the way I store my DVDs, I was wondering how everyone identifies those DVDs they've watched and those they haven't. Currently I keep the watched and unwatched DVDs separate. Each group is sorted by category and then alpha within each category. This has worked well, with the exception that I and my friends have to look in two different places to see all the movies in a given category. But, as the unwatched DVDs are about to completely fill up their shelving unit, I'm starting to wonder if another solution is better. On the assmption that I put them all together, here's what I've considered: - Putting the unwatched DVDs in upside down. Of course, this will make it a bit difficult to read the titles. (This is how I currently store TV shows that I haven't watched yet.) - Affix Post-It flags to the spine of each unwatched DVD. That way, I can tell by "color" which ones are unwatched. Note - this means buying a LOT of Post-It flags as I have about 750 or so unwatched DVDs at the moment. --- What have you all done to ID those DVDs you've yet to watch? (Note - as I unwrap and spot check every DVD when I get it, leaving them shrinkwrapped is a non-starter...) Thanks! -greg

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

• 1,413 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:29 AM

I wrote a little database application.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Charles J P

Charles J P

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:31 AM

If they're in my house, they've been watched. Its pretty simple. If you have so many DVDs that you arent sure if you've watched them, please send some of the ones you're sure you've watched to me. It will make sorting your collection easier. Posted Image

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Bryan

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:34 AM

I built a 6'x6' DVD stand that can hold even the larger boxset cases (though not the ET large box). Watched Movie DVD's get alphabeticaly sorted in the main area on the left 3'. The lower left area has all the unwatched DVD's. All Specialty/Documentary, TV Shows, Children (or animated) and Music end up on the right 3' and sorted.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Silver

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:36 AM

I file everything in alphabetical order. All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

• 4,283 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:38 AM

Yep, unwatched = unopened here.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:45 AM

I wrote a custom online database for stuff like that.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Kenneth English

Kenneth English

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:56 AM

[quote] All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened. [quote]
Wow. You definitely have more self-control than I. Even if I'm not going to watch something right away I just have to open them! I can't help myself! I've had this problem since childhood -- you won't find a sticker that's not peeled or a wrapper that's unwrapped within a mile radius of me. Posted Image

I too keep my DVDs in a database. The ones in bold I haven't watched yet. Don't ask how many... :b

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Allan Mack

Allan Mack

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:15 AM

[quote] All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened. [quote]
I haven't done this since the day I opened a brand new DVD and discovered there was no disc inside.

Also, I have discovered a couple of times that a disc was scratched even before I opened it. (No, it did not come off the spindle.)

It's much better to open your DVDs right away so that you can deal with any problems immediately.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:18 AM

My unwatched DVDs are either open or sealed. Strangely enough, even with 350+ DVDs, I know which ones I haven't watched.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:33 AM

That's just outstanding John. Certainly puts my little spreadsheet to shame.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,669 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:36 AM

My unwatched DVDs stay o the shelf by the tv, then after I've watched evreything on them, I archive them chronologically by director. Unfortunatly, I only have 200 dvds, so I don't have a problem with unwatched discs cluttering my entertainment rack Posted Image

I also suggest opening those suckers up the second your in the door (I usually open them in the parking lot of the store, but than I'm a geek). I always give them a spin, just to see that they play ok, even if I don't plan on watching it right away. I've caught a few bad ines this way.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

• 4,171 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:12 AM

I keep mine in basically 3 sections- ones I've watched all the way through (including commentaries and extras, I also listen to the foreign-language dubs if there are any!), ones I've watched partially (just the movie but not the commentary for example) and ones I haven't watched at all- On my shelf I have 15 DIVX discs (which all have been played through the 10-minute screen saying "The Divx Feature is required to view this disc") to separate the "completely watched" ones too! I always open newly-bought discs right away to see what the inside looks like and to catch any problems that might arise.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:14 AM

I use my memory.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

• 2,817 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:19 AM

I use my faulty memory.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:52 AM

I put a note in DVD Profiler.
My Collection

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 11:57 AM

Interesting that several of you use a notation in your database to indicate that you've watched a DVD. I've though of doing something similar. One question: do you therefore keep a printout of the database by your collection so you can reference the watched/unwatched field? -greg

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

• 5,399 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 12:00 PM

[quote] ...I have about 750 or so unwatched DVDs at the moment. [quote]

Wow. I would guess using DVD profiler would be the answer.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 12:21 PM

[quote] Don't ask how many... [quote]
How many Kenneth?

(I feel like living on the 'edge'.) Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 12:33 PM

How 'bout this simple idea......

Slide a note under one of the inside insert clips on all your unwatched titles. If you open a case and spy a note card, you know immediately it's of the "unwatched" variety. Posted Image

I apply the above "note card / index card" method on some titles to remind me that a particular title contains some noteworthy Easter Eggs that I most definitely would forget about looking for if the index card had not been attached. Then it's off to www.dvdreview.com to get the Egg Shortcuts. Posted Image

Also: Does anybody else use notes in the cases to remind them where they left off on a given disc? (Especially useful on TV Boxed Sets ..... i.e.: Have watched thru Ep. 13 of ST-TNG-Season 5.) Being able to tell where you left off is about the only advantage VHS had over DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users