Identifying DVDs you've watched and those you haven't

Discussion in 'DVD' started by gregstaten, Apr 14, 2003.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

As I'm thinking of changing the way I store my DVDs, I was wondering how everyone identifies those DVDs they've watched and those they haven't.

Currently I keep the watched and unwatched DVDs separate. Each group is sorted by category and then alpha within each category. This has worked well, with the exception that I and my friends have to look in two different places to see all the movies in a given category. But, as the unwatched DVDs are about to completely fill up their shelving unit, I'm starting to wonder if another solution is better.

On the assmption that I put them all together, here's what I've considered:

- Putting the unwatched DVDs in upside down. Of course, this will make it a bit difficult to read the titles. (This is how I currently store TV shows that I haven't watched yet.)

- Affix Post-It flags to the spine of each unwatched DVD. That way, I can tell by "color" which ones are unwatched. Note - this means buying a LOT of Post-It flags as I have about 750 or so unwatched DVDs at the moment.

---

What have you all done to ID those DVDs you've yet to watch? (Note - as I unwrap and spot check every DVD when I get it, leaving them shrinkwrapped is a non-starter...)

Thanks!

-greg

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I wrote a little database application.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    If they're in my house, they've been watched. Its pretty simple. If you have so many DVDs that you arent sure if you've watched them, please send some of the ones you're sure you've watched to me. It will make sorting your collection easier. [​IMG]

4. Bryan

Bryan Stunt Coordinator

I built a 6'x6' DVD stand that can hold even the larger boxset cases (though not the ET large box).

Watched Movie DVD's get alphabeticaly sorted in the main area on the left 3'. The lower left area has all the unwatched DVD's.

All Specialty/Documentary, TV Shows, Children (or animated) and Music end up on the right 3' and sorted.

5. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I file everything in alphabetical order. All unwatched DVDs stay wrapped and unopened.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

7. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I wrote a custom online database for stuff like that.

8. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

9. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

10. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

My unwatched DVDs are either open or sealed. Strangely enough, even with 350+ DVDs, I know which ones I haven't watched.

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

That's just outstanding John. Certainly puts my little spreadsheet to shame.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    My unwatched DVDs stay o the shelf by the tv, then after I've watched evreything on them, I archive them chronologically by director. Unfortunatly, I only have 200 dvds, so I don't have a problem with unwatched discs cluttering my entertainment rack [​IMG]

I also suggest opening those suckers up the second your in the door (I usually open them in the parking lot of the store, but than I'm a geek). I always give them a spin, just to see that they play ok, even if I don't plan on watching it right away. I've caught a few bad ines this way.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I keep mine in basically 3 sections- ones I've watched all the way through (including commentaries and extras, I also listen to the foreign-language dubs if there are any!), ones I've watched partially (just the movie but not the commentary for example) and ones I haven't watched at all- On my shelf I have 15 DIVX discs (which all have been played through the 10-minute screen saying "The Divx Feature is required to view this disc") to separate the "completely watched" ones too!
    I always open newly-bought discs right away to see what the inside looks like and to catch any problems that might arise.

14. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

I use my memory.

15. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I use my faulty memory.

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I put a note in DVD Profiler.

17. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Interesting that several of you use a notation in your database to indicate that you've watched a DVD. I've though of doing something similar.

One question: do you therefore keep a printout of the database by your collection so you can reference the watched/unwatched field?

-greg

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

How 'bout this simple idea......

Slide a note under one of the inside insert clips on all your unwatched titles. If you open a case and spy a note card, you know immediately it's of the "unwatched" variety. [​IMG]

I apply the above "note card / index card" method on some titles to remind me that a particular title contains some noteworthy Easter Eggs that I most definitely would forget about looking for if the index card had not been attached. Then it's off to www.dvdreview.com to get the Egg Shortcuts. [​IMG]

Also: Does anybody else use notes in the cases to remind them where they left off on a given disc? (Especially useful on TV Boxed Sets ..... i.e.: Have watched thru Ep. 13 of ST-TNG-Season 5.) Being able to tell where you left off is about the only advantage VHS had over DVD.