What's new

Speaker Cable running under floorboards and in walls (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I am embarking on a big project, and since I basically have the summer off from work, I have a lot of time to work on my HT. My dedicated room is a 2nd story bonus room. I will be running cable in walls and under floorboards for the first time. I'll be using basic Proflex 14/4 cable, jacketed. My surround dipoles are wall mounted (not in-wall, just mounted to the wall. For the surrounds, I will have to go under the floor and up inside the walls to get to the speakers. Do I use a fish tape or push/pull rod of some sort to grab the cable from under the floor and pull it up inside the wall? How big of a hole do I cut into the drywall to be patched up later?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Thanks Wayne. I have a question concerning the baseboard hole. I assume that we are referring the baseboard as the molding on the wall coming up from the floor. I don't understand the hole above the baseboard. I am in a 2nd story room. I start running speaker cable under the carpet along the wall until I get to the point where the cable has to go up the wall. Now you're saying drill a hole above the baseboard for the lower hole? Would the cable not be visible over the baseboard until it feeds into that hole?
Or could I drill a hole in the floor, feed it through and somehow grab it from the wall? This is where I get confused.
Thanks for your input.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David,

I wrote that concerning existing (not new) construction, where the wire is run around the side of the wall between the carpet and baseboard.

Your situation is different, running the wiring under the floor and up through the footer board. Sorry I wasn’t paying attention before.

It’s easier to drop wires in the wall from above than it is to fish them up from below. I suggest drilling a ¾” vertical hole in the footer board directly below where the wire is to come out of the wall. If is critical for the two holes to be aligned on a vertical axis, or as close as possible.

You will need two things for fishing the wire through: First, one of those magnets you get at the auto parts store that telescope like a car antenna. Second, a drop string with about a 6” length of small decorative-type chain tied to the end of it. The chain is the kind of stuff used for hanging planter baskets, and it needs to be a ferrous metal (e.g., not brass).

It may take two people to accomplish this. One person under the floor will stick the magnet up through the ¾” hole in the footer board. The second person above will dangle the drop string/chain down inside the wall. At some point the chain will attach itself to the magnet, then you can pull it down through the ¾” hole. Then tie or tape your speaker wire to the chain, then the person above can pull the drop string up and out of the wall, along with the speaker wire.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Jason, the theater room is getting a complete makeover. The addition of front projection causes all of that. I am hiding the cables, installing new carpet, constructing a stage in front of the screen, adding a Stewart Firehawk screen, re-painting the walls dark burgundy, adding track lighting to both north and south walls, and did I mention the whole back wall? We're cutting into that to eventually add the component rack and dvd/laserdisc shelves and THX-EX/DTS-ES speakers...whew! So much to do...and as soon as my angled ceiling mount gets here I'll be starting the projector mounting and running conduit in the ceiling for the projector cables...Jessica wants to add a motorized curtain in front of the screen and around the stage. It should be interesting...

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Dave,

That sounds amazing! It's awesome that you have the total support of your wife too... and not just support, but she wants to add things! She's a keeper! :)

Can't wait to check it out when you're done...

Not sure how much help I could be, but if you're in a pinch and you need an extra hand, try me...

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I do this for a living and the best way to get wire in a wall on a second floor room is to: Buy or rent a stud finder and mark the width of the studs with tape.You must also find fire blocking between the studs.You will not be able to fish wire if there is blocking.Once your speaker placement is determined and the path your wire will travel in the wall,you can go up in the attic and find the the wall you will be drilling in to.The closer the wall is to the outside of the house the tighter the space gets for drilling down.Inside walls are always easier.A cordless drill with a paddle bit will cut through the 2x4 pretty easily.Once that hole is drilled.Measure the distace from the opposite wall and figure out where you can cut a hole in to your drywall in the room.Rent a fish "rod" not tape because a rod will get through the insulation in the wall much easier.Tape the speaker wire to the rods in the attic and send down the rod to the cutout in the wall below.You can use a blank wall plate to cover the hole in your wall.I recommend you use two people for this and use walkie talkies if you have them.Have fun. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks