Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Which games cost money on X-Box live?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there are any games on X-Box live which require you to pay money each month to play? also are there fees for downloadable content for games like Mech Assault or Splinter Cell? Last, if you are paying $50 for the first year by buying the kit, what is the purpose of MS needing your credit card?especially with no monthly cost for the service. Thanks.
-Keith-       

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 01:10 PM

Phantasy Star Online is the only game I know of that has an outside fee (and it isn't even out yet!)

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there are any games on X-Box live which require you to pay money each month to play?
Only Phantasy Star Online, which actually requires you to have X-Box Live to play it AT ALL offline (lazy programming; MS took the Japanese version, which came with the XBL service, and was too lazy to remove the code that required XBL to run it).
Quote:
also are there fees for downloadable content for games like Mech Assault or Splinter Cell?
For some, yes.
Quote:
Last, if you are paying $50 for the first year by buying the kit, what is the purpose of MS needing your credit card?especially with no monthly cost for the service
So if you get billed for ANYTHING using the XBL service, whether it be downloadable content, a game (like PSO), or renewing your XBL subscription, they can just bill the card without you having to go through some other means. It saves them, and you, time.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott "E"

Scott "E"

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
For some, yes

Which ones would those be, Morgan?

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:41 PM

I think he's talking about future downloads.

Keith, for now all the downloads that have been put up for the service have been free. But Microsoft has stated that there will be charges for downloads in the future.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 07:55 PM

Bottom line as of right now? After the initial XBL activation, it's all free. All of it.
XBL Gamertag: Anderpants
My DVDs are cooler than yours.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Damien

Damien

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 09:39 PM

i have a feeling very few if any dl content will ever come with a fee, since really it is a practice that has been free for the most part on PC, unless something totally new is introduced.(i would pay a little for mechassault CTF, but time for that is running out)

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Bottom line as of right now? After the initial XBL activation, it's all free. All of it.

Except for PSO!
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 04:09 AM

Rumor has it the PSO sit may be changing. I'm hearing that the endless delays are that MS wants to pay off Sega and keep it free.

As of right now, PSO and StarWars Galaxies will cost a monthly fee.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 06:05 AM

Pretty much the only exception to the "get XBL, everything's free" rule is PSO right now.

I heard you get a free month with PSO, though.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 06:13 AM

2 free as it stands right now

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 06:45 AM

Last, if you are paying $50 for the first year by buying the kit, what is the purpose of MS needing your credit card?especially with no monthly cost for the service. Thanks.

It's because it's a revolving subscription and you get renewed until you unscubscribe. It's a very common billing practice with premium online (non-ISP) services.
He'll fertilize the rice in China with the cinders of his remains
Socom Handle - HTF-Orpheus, OCGN - Orpheus, My Games, My Movies

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:23 AM

Star Wars Galaxies is not being ported to the x-box. It is a PC only game.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:31 AM

I thought SW Galaxies was going to be on PS2 and X-Box after the PC version.

http://www.gamespot.....ies/index.html
http://www.gamespot.....ies/index.html

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 07:26 AM

I've never understood the high cost of online gaming. I could see paying $9.99 a month if the initial software was cheap; say, no more than $20. But to have to pay $49.99 and then whatever MS will end up charging per month for Live and another monthly fee on top of that is just ridiculous. That's the reason I refuse to succumb to the online gaming craze. I'll play pc games online as long as there isn't a fee for doing so. XBOX Live will remain a no-sale for me.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
But to have to pay $49.99 and then whatever MS will end up charging per month for Live and another monthly fee on top of that is just ridiculous
All of you who already know my views towards the X-Box and don't want hell to freeze over, avert your eyes, for I am about to say something in defense of X-Box Live!

XBL is $50 for 1 year of service, not 1 month. No games right now charge additional fees. The only one that will is Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II, but it gives you 2 months for free to start with. SW Galaxies might charge additional fees, but those fees would be in place on PC, PS2, and XB, not just on the X-Box.

So you pay only $50 a year (or look at it as just over $4 a month) for online service for EVERY X-Box game out there, period.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 11:41 AM

Yeah the SWG versions that the consoles are getting is more like the EverQuest Online Adventures that PS2 got. So don't expect it to be exactly like the PC version. You guys will find out more about that at this years E3.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 10:40 AM

Morgan,

It's $50 initially, but isn't MS going to start charging a monthly fee once the initial year expires? Plus, paying $50 for what is essentially a P2P service is a little silly. If the games were hosted on dedicated servers, I could possibly understand it. I guess I've been spoiled by PC games.
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 11:04 AM

I look at it as paying for the ability to have one unified friend list between all games & the ease of setup. If they don't start including the ability to restrict a game to just friends though, it'll be worthless to me.

-Dave
DVD List

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   JayV

JayV

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:33 PM

There is an article on Xbox.com that discussing pay-for-play issues.

They mention that fees for PSO, for example, go right to Sega and SonicTeam, not to pad out MS's bottom line.

They add: "This makes sense for them because cool new quests and maps do not come from the content fairy."

They also stress that "this is not the tip of the iceberg or the beginning of the end—there are still lots of games that don't charge anything extra for online play, and there are more on the way."

Quote:
If they don't start including the ability to restrict a game to just friends though, it'll be worthless to me.

Dave, at least MotoGP and Ghost Recon allow you to set up private rooms. I'm sure the others have private games, too.

If, on the other hand, you are suggesting a feature that sets up a "friend game" that doesn't allow anyone to join except friends (thus avoiding the need to invite people into private rooms), that would be a welcome feature.

-j

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow