What's new

Replace SA-HE100 with D811S? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I work for a company that sells high end printers and I am the systems engineer for them. For every copier/printer I install on a customer's network I get points from the vendor of the printer. I can use thes points to buy merchandise from the Canon awards catalog. Much to my surprise one of the items in the catalog is the Pioneer VSX-D811S. I really wanted this reciever before I bought my Panny, but I couldn't afford it then. The problem is that my front speakers are 4 ohm (Klipsch KG2). I now know that the VSX-D811S does not support 4 ohm speakers. I would really like the VSX-D811S, especially since it is basically for free. How about some advice from you guys, you haven't steered me wrong yet.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jim

How big is your room? How loud do you play your stuff? What kind of ventilation would you have for the Pioneer? What do you expect to gain from switching receivers?

If you really want the Pioneer, and it were to run hot with those speakers, you can rig up a little computer fan that would not be audible.

Still, unless there is a compelling reason to use your credits on the Pioneer, save them for something else. If the credits are going to expire, go for it.

Artie

NickSP

Supporting Actor
You already have a pretty decent receiver. Can you use your points for a DVD player or something else?

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I do have a very decent receiver but the D811S has some features that the HE100 does not. For one, the frequency response is rated at 20-20000hz @ .2% THD for the 811 and 40-20000hz @ .9% THD for the HE100. The 811 has preouts for all channels, the HE100 does not. For me the frequency response would be the most compelling reason to switch. If I am not accurate on either of these points I would appreciate correction.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jim

The pre-outs is a compelling reason to get the 811, if you are going to keept the 811 for a while.

With regard to the 40-20,000, that is not really a frequency response issue. It is a power output issue. By cutting off the last octave (20-40) in its rating Panasonic can claim a higher power rating while still keeping the distortion rating under the dreaded 1% mark.

Just to make it very clear: the Panasonic will reproduce 20Hz signals, just with less power and more distortion. You would be surprised at how far some receivers are from delivering rated power. I know that with all 6 channels driven, the Panasonic did 70 watts per channel. I don't have any info on the 811, but More than likely it wouldn't do much better.

In any case, you seem to want the Pioneer, and it won't cost you anything, just do it.

Artie

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Arthur, you are right, I really do want the 811. It was my first choice when buying but I got a great deal on the HE100 and went with it. There isn't anything else that I can trade my points for that I would really like. The only decent DVD player in the catalog is the Panny DVD-XP30. If there was a DVD/SACD or DVD-A, well that would be a different story.

Now all I have to do is convince my wife that we should get a Mits WT42311. This month Mitsubishi will be offering 12 months no interest/no payments. That just might convince her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks