Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD-A or SACD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:28 AM

I'm in the process of purchasing a DVD player and I want them to have either DVD-A or SACD capabilities. I looking at the Sony DVP-NS755V or the Panasonic DVD-CP72 though I am willing to entertain others. If you had to choose which format,what would it be? I'll be mating it with a Sony DA4ES. Thanks............ Tom

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:33 AM

In terms of video quality, there's little question in my mind that the Panasonic player will be a better solution over the Sony. How much do you value the video quality? After you've worked on that angle, then consider the two formats, and what material is available on each. Which format has the most titles you'd like to own? In terms of choosing a format, I have both, because neither format has all the titles I want. On well recorded material I find them to be nearly even, with 24/192K sounding the best to my ears. Others whose preferences run to SACD will have a differing point of view of which sounds best. In the end, buy which is the best for you! Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 01:54 AM

With several universal players to choose from (and many more to be released by the end of the year), why would you go the "either/or" route?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:33 AM

I agree with Chris spend a little more and get a good universal player. the Denon comming out is supposed to be very nice, and i can attest to the yamaha beign exceptional. of course if you insist on getting one or the other I agree with John look at what content you like best, for that that is DVD-A all the way, sure there are twice as many sacd's out there, but i own twice as many dvd-a discs as i do SACD's and i like the dvd-a's more (most of my sacd's were bought more for curiosity than love of the music, basically what i eman there is if all discs were either sacd or dvd-a i would not ahve bought them.
Cheers

John

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the input. Going with a universal player makes sense but I am on a purse string and I have already went a little overboard with the Sony DA4ES. Couldn't turn down the Sony at $559. Now that I have it, I want more. You guys have probably been down this road before.Posted Image Anyway, I looked at the titles and have to admit I like more of the DVD-A's that are available and I am turning my attention toward that format unless somehow I find a universal that meets my budget. I looked at the Panasonic DVD-CP72 but the problem is that I can't find it in black. I never realized that this project would be so complicated but never the less fun.

Anyone care to help please be my guest.............. Tom

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:32 PM

Thomas, Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A universal player for $270 later this year. We'll see how it will rate in the audio and video departments.

If you prefer the titles available on DVD-Audio, you can't go wrong with the Panasonic DVD-CP72 for the money. Although you can't find it in black, the silver version doesn't look too bad. Don't let the color of the chassis color your judgment. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users