What's new

Servo 15 owners - I need some help (1 Viewer)

Jim_Lan

Agent
Just got the Servo-15 hooked up to my system. Followed the instructions to set the sub volume to mid way and then used the volume control on the x-30 control unit to calibrate the system. It also ended up about mid way.. But when I tried some movies, I felt bass was way too soft. I moved the volume on the servo 15 itself (not the control unit) to close to max and it sounded much better. Did I set it up wrong? Should I set the sub to max volume and then calibrate by making adjustments to the control unit? How do you have your systems set?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Many people choose to increase the level of bass a few dB over calibrated levels for movies. I like to listen to music with everything calibrated properly and movies with the sub level at +4dB.

Having said that, what settings did your receiver have when you were done? (i.e. set receiver volume to 'X', calibrated sub level to -2dB, etc.) What receiver (or pre/pro) are you using? Do you have your mains set to small (i.e. routing the bass to the subwoofer)?

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I use Servo driven by Lexicon MC-1, music only.

Once calibrated (no x-30 in the signal path, only Lex :) it is there - running at this same level as other speakers (4xActive-40, 2x Studio ADP).

From time to time I would take grill off to see that it is working - the blend is so transparent. And yes, I do have some CD where bass is very dominant (check Tracy Chapman for example). This smoothless blend was a reason that for a long time Servo was used as an example of very musical sub - not in your face, boomy and loud, but giving lot of effortless support.

Enjoy.

_zjt

Jim_Lan

Agent
Yes, have the speakers set to small. The sub works it just wasn't as loud as I thought it should be My real concern is how to calibrate the sub. Should I set the sub to max volume so that I am using all the range of the sub and then set the volume on the X-30 down to make sure it is all calibrated. If I follow the Paradigm instructions and set sub volume to about midway, it seems like half of the sub volume will never be used.

Marc H

Second Unit
If you are using it in a digital home theatre, would it not be better to remove the X30 completely and just let the receiver or processor do the crossover?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If I follow the Paradigm instructions and set sub volume to about midway, it seems like half of the sub volume will never be used.
Volume and gain are two different things. A gain knob controls the amount of gain (power) delivered by an amplifier. A volume knob controls the level of the input to the amplifier. The servo-15 has a volume knob, not a gain knob.

Let's assume that the sub can reproduce a signal at a maximum level of 100 (mystical units). If a signal arrived at the sub that required a level of 105, it would only play at 100 (compression). When you adjust the gain, you control the maximum level (assuming the driver can handle the power). When you adjust the volume knob, you control the level of the signal entering the amp. In other words, cranking the volume up to full on the sub could compress the signal (i.e. everything would be loud, not to mention poorly calibrated). Incidentally, this is one reason people get better subwoofers... more headroom and less compression (distortion) at high SPLs.

However, the X-30 is another volume control in your signal path (along with the level settings and volume control in your receiver). The sub's amp will receive the sum of each volume control (cut at X-30, boosted at sub, etc.). It's considered ideal to have all volume settings near a middle setting because the extremes are not as controlled.

In summary, follow Paradigm's suggestion. If you like more bass in your movies, boost the sub level for the DVD mode in your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks