Servo 15 owners - I need some help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jim_Lan, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

Just got the Servo-15 hooked up to my system. Followed the instructions to set the sub volume to mid way and then used the volume control on the x-30 control unit to calibrate the system. It also ended up about mid way.. But when I tried some movies, I felt bass was way too soft. I moved the volume on the servo 15 itself (not the control unit) to close to max and it sounded much better. Did I set it up wrong? Should I set the sub to max volume and then calibrate by making adjustments to the control unit? How do you have your systems set?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Many people choose to increase the level of bass a few dB over calibrated levels for movies. I like to listen to music with everything calibrated properly and movies with the sub level at +4dB.

Having said that, what settings did your receiver have when you were done? (i.e. set receiver volume to 'X', calibrated sub level to -2dB, etc.) What receiver (or pre/pro) are you using? Do you have your mains set to small (i.e. routing the bass to the subwoofer)?

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

I use Servo driven by Lexicon MC-1, music only.

Once calibrated (no x-30 in the signal path, only Lex :) it is there - running at this same level as other speakers (4xActive-40, 2x Studio ADP).

From time to time I would take grill off to see that it is working - the blend is so transparent. And yes, I do have some CD where bass is very dominant (check Tracy Chapman for example). This smoothless blend was a reason that for a long time Servo was used as an example of very musical sub - not in your face, boomy and loud, but giving lot of effortless support.

Enjoy.

_zjt

4. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

Yes, have the speakers set to small. The sub works it just wasn't as loud as I thought it should be My real concern is how to calibrate the sub. Should I set the sub to max volume so that I am using all the range of the sub and then set the volume on the X-30 down to make sure it is all calibrated. If I follow the Paradigm instructions and set sub volume to about midway, it seems like half of the sub volume will never be used.

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If you are using it in a digital home theatre, would it not be better to remove the X30 completely and just let the receiver or processor do the crossover?

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

7. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

Greg, Thanks, I'll try that...