-

Photo
- - - - -

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 of 139 OFFLINE   Mark_Waldrep

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:48 AM

I thought it might be of interest to those assembled here that DSOTM will also be issued as a DVD-Audio discs by EMI sometime later this year. This is reliable information as it came directly from the company...that's about all I can say at this point.

With UMG and BMG now firmly committed to the DVD-Audio camp, there should be little doubt that the format will not only survive but prosper. Some very important new acts will be preparing DVD-Audio releases for this year...not just catalog stuff but new albums.

#2 of 139 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:51 AM

Pardon my ignorance, DSOTM??

TIA (thanks in advance),

#3 of 139 OFFLINE   PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:54 AM

Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd

#4 of 139 OFFLINE   Al B. C

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:09 AM

Me thinks this could get interesting. Posted Image

Thanks Mark.

#5 of 139 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:19 AM

Uh-oh, if Dark Side is on both high-res formats, we could end up with a debate over which format is better.

I wonder who will mix it and if it would be significantly different than the SACD.

NP: Marillion, Front Row Club #3

#6 of 139 OFFLINE   Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:41 AM

Quote:
I wonder who will mix it and if it would be significantly different than the SACD.

Per this thread, Mark states the following, if it helps at all:

Quote:
I learned that DSOTM will be issued as a DVD-Audio title later this year. The same mixes AND lots of cool extras...should be interesting to compare. No firm date as yet, just a commitment from EMI.

Doug

#7 of 139 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:51 AM

Quote:
The same mixes AND lots of cool extras

This creates an interesting question: James Guthrie created new mixes in DSD format.

Maybe Guthrie will downconvert to a PCM format from DSD. So you will have both DSD and PCM in the chain.

That will make the comparison less than a "pure DSD" versus "pure PCM" bakeoff.

Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#8 of 139 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:08 AM

Don't have the time or the URL right now, but I thought one article stated that he mixed the 5.1 in analog.

#9 of 139 OFFLINE   Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:31 AM

All technical bullsh!t aside, I will hold off all "one format is better than the other" until I have both copies in my system and can tell myselfPosted Image
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#10 of 139 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:25 AM

You've gotta love the sublte opinionistic bashing of one format by a supporter of the other. LOL

Quote:
Maybe Guthrie will downconvert to a PCM format from DSD

Why not upconvert to PCM from DSD?

#11 of 139 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Why not upconvert to PCM from DSD?

Er, Nick...no bashing intended. There are technical reasons for this. The DSD process was originally designed to allow "downconverting" to PCM formats from the higher sample rate of DSD 2.8 MHZ down to 96 or 192khz with integer based conversion. If you go to Sony's web site, you will see a discussion on process.

Essentially you can't upconvert from DSD to PCM due to the technology implementation.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#12 of 139 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:51 AM

Well, the term "upconvert / downconvert" carries connotations that can be either positive or negative.

I think the term transcode is more accurate, since we are talking about two different encoding schemes.

Regards,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#13 of 139 OFFLINE   Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Well, the term "upconvert / downconvert" carries connotations that can be either positive or negative.
I think the term transcode is more accurate, since we are talking about two different encoding schemes.
thanks for the clarification. the whole 'up/downconvert' had me confused there for a sec Posted Image

#14 of 139 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:56 AM

I would agree with Lee though. If the *original* mix is in DSD, then "downconverting" is the right word to use, because *any* conversion whatsoever can *only* result in the same fidelity or worse. 2nd law of thermodynamics at work. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#15 of 139 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:00 AM

I have yet to see anyone prove that the multichannel sacd tracks have the same resolution as the stereo sacd tracks.

LJ

#16 of 139 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:08 AM

Great news for DVD-A. The are many possibilities for bonus material for a release such as this.

I also wonder if this disc was mixed already in PCM, since it was originally rumored to be a DVD-A from the get go. What if the SACD that was just put out was mixed in DSD from already existing PCM masters for the earlier rumored DVD-A release. Uh oh, don't want to open that can of worms.

J

#17 of 139 OFFLINE   Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
I would agree with Lee though. If the *original* mix is in DSD, then "downconverting" is the right word to use, because *any* conversion whatsoever can *only* result in the same fidelity or worse. 2nd law of thermodynamics at work.
But why do dismiss, out of hand, the possiblity that it would be the same? You seem to make the illogical jump that because technically it must be the same or worse, in reality it must be worse. I think it will likely retain all the resolution of the DSD recording. Of course, if it was remastered in analog, than the whole DSD vs PCM circle jerk is moot.

#18 of 139 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:16 AM

Even if this disc does come out on DVD-A from a DSD master (remeber DSD is supposed to be an archiving tool and not an audio format), wouldn't this be a giant slap in the face by EMI for Sony? Sony and EMI are competitors to begin with in the music market, so it looks like EMI took the charity Sony gave them, and is now going to stab them in the back by putting out a DVD-A with mastering paid for by Sony.

With all this talk of the strategies of the various companies in getting Hi-res accepted by the masses, this has to be the best one to date. Posted Image

#19 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
so it looks like EMI took the charity Sony gave them, and is now going to stab them in the back by putting out a DVD-A with mastering paid for by Sony.

Not really...

If anything, Sony may have paid for limited exclusivity, i.e. can't appear on other formats for a period of time.

Additionally, Sony will capitalize off of all the sales that promotes SACD to consumers.

So not a slap in the face. A later release on DVD-A really can't hurt Sony since the bulk of sales are already done, even if just for the redbook version only. Same could be said if the DVD-A came before the SACD.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#20 of 139 OFFLINE   BrianMagog

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 10:54 AM

In the following article, James Guthrie discusses SACD vs. DVD-A, it's an interesting read for fans of the disc:

http://www.audiorevo....darkside.shtml

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow