DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mark_Waldrep, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Wow, you got that from my post? Instead of trying so hard to read in between the lines, how about just sticking to reading the actual lines?

Sounds like somebody peed in your Cheerios this morning...try not to take it out on everyone else.

Rob

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I thought they tasted a bit, you know, funny. But I assure you I enjoyed them. Still... I need to have word with the milkman.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mark Waldrep,

Now that the cat's out of the bag, can you get us an official statement from EMI?

Thanks.

6. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Until there is a formal announcement from EMI, this is pure speculation.

According to this weeks "Video Business", they have an article on high-rez formats, and some interesting quotes and comments. Quote #1 is that "DSOTM is not coming out on DVD-A" and that Pink Floyd specifically requested it be on SACD and not DVD-A. Don't know how much truth there is to this.

The second interesting quote by a record executive was "neither record companies nor consumers will decide the success of high-rez audio (and which formats) but the artists themselves."

Again, whether true or not (go on, debate it until your blue in the face!) it was interesting to read.

So until there is a formal press release or other announcement from EMI of an impending DVD-A release, it's all pure speculation to me at this point (maybe false hopes)

7. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

8. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    For an album which has been remastered many times, current sales are very good given the current state of the economy. I also think that it will be available on DVD-A, but in the manner EMI has done this it has brought good stealth stocking of SACD inventory in the regular CD section and certainly not hurting an effort to make the format more than a niche and closer to mainstream and at the same time as an afterthought producing a DVD-A to be stuck in some special 'isolation ward' after the fact is not doing DVD-A a huge favor. What's next, the Beatles to be done this way? This is about EMI making more money from a project which is OK. It certainly is not giving an equal boost to DVD-A vs. SACD to help move it from a niche market to something more mainstream at prices like those of current CDs. Warner releasing stuff by popular artists like Fleetwood Mac and others at about CD pricing and exclusively on DVD-A will help the format more.

PS - urine is much better on Froot Loops vs. for those who wish to know.[​IMG]

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ummmm... nothing cuts the citrus harshness of the orange loop quite like thick, golden, ammonia-packed urine, especially if it's still "bladder warm". [​IMG]

11. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

I think it´s unfair a possible release of Dark Side of The Moon on DVD Audio for SACD. Why you will ask?

First, i´m not engineer, I´m still at School, but I have learned quite a lot after reading what you, the guys who really knows teach all of us.

It will be unfair because they already will have the experience of SACD, no matter who will work with the album. We all here in this forum are saying wich part of the surround mix sound good and which ¡¿"BAD"?!. So, for example, one guy says that when the clocks on Time start to ring, he doesnt like how the rear left speaker sound, or anoher says that Gilmour´s voice on Money sounds weak (Im just inventing over here) they will now not how to fix it, and then DVD-A fans will say that "they" win, and they don´t, they cheat because they have the SACd release to catch up all the possibles mistakes commited.

Why not DVD-A release Wish You Where Here or The Wall first, so they will be working starting from nothing. No, not even The Wall, cause´they have the experience of The Wall DVD-V to improve that version.

Just a little tought.

Francisco, Chile.

12. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Rich - you are definately on a roll. [​IMG]

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Lets not use the economy as an excuse for sales one way or another. Before the recent downturn, Hi-res, both DVD-A and SACD, were not flying off the shelves to begin with.

I do find the sales number a bit interesting though. A new CD only release of DSOTM would probably have putten up the exact same numbers (12,000 more copies then usual). With a big title like this and over 1 million SACD players sold, I would have expected that number to be much larger in the first week of release (where there is the largest bump in sales). Once again this proves the point that most people are still not buying Hi-res (and music in general), including those who have players with the capability.

J

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Justin Lane

16. Justin Lane

17. BrianMagog

BrianMagog Stunt Coordinator

Let's not forget (1) the number is "taken primarily from retail record outlets and generally do(es) not include results from web stores and outlets that carry audiophile discs" (which could be a very large number given the way SACDs are purchased); and (2) this is one week's worth of sales. We'll have a better picture of the sales for this disc when internet sales and more weeks are factored in. I'm still pleased at the numbers myself, and I don't have an SACD or a DVD-A player yet (heck, I bought it for the redbook layer!)

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

19. Justin Lane

I give up. You have made me see the errors in my ways, Lee. DSTOM is causing thousands upon thousands of people across the country to run out and buy SACD players. Just look at the first week's sales, they are only going to go up each week from here on out. If the audiophile websites where thousands and thousands shop each day report their sales, just think how high the sales numbers might go. Maybe in a couple months they will be selling over 100,000 DSOTM SACD per week. If it only wasn't for that consumer apathy and economy...this SACD may have ruled the world.......

J

20. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I love it...only a day goes by before the sales comparisons posts come in.

Flame on [​IMG]