Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Has a high definition DVD 'standard' been chosen?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Jorossy

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:45 AM

I read that it was to be decided last month.

#2 of 5 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:08 AM

No, it has not been chosen

And even when it is, you're not going to see HD-DVD 6 months later. I frankly don't expect to see HD-DVD in any kind of major amount before about 2008

#3 of 5 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:30 AM

The longer the DVD forum keeps silent the better chance we stand of getting an HD-DVD format that's worth a darn.

I've still got my fingers crossed for full 1080P encoding with a compression-scheme that's better than MPEG2 using a high-bandwidth blue-laser disc...

24/192 6.1 surround sound would be nice too!

If it's done right I'll gladly wait as long as it takes...

dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#4 of 5 Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:48 AM

We probably won't see HD-DVD until DVD has run its course. I had hoped for years that we'd replace laserdisc with HD-LD, but instead, we got just another product that did the same thing - DVD.

So, now we have to wait for all of the VHS people to catch on to DVD, and then we need them to realize that the quality of DVD, both picture and sound, just aren't good enough.

DVD wasn't good enough on the day it was introduced. Until the public realizes that, HD-DVD will only exist as a concept.

Charlie

#5 of 5 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
If it's done right I'll gladly wait as long as it takes...
Ditto that. There have been plenty of DVDs that make my home theater system far better than any VHS or laserdisc "solution" and I'm sure that there will be many more.

They can take all of the time that they need as long as they get it right from the start.