What's new

Has a high definition DVD 'standard' been chosen? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, it has not been chosen

And even when it is, you're not going to see HD-DVD 6 months later. I frankly don't expect to see HD-DVD in any kind of major amount before about 2008

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The longer the DVD forum keeps silent the better chance we stand of getting an HD-DVD format that's worth a darn.

I've still got my fingers crossed for full 1080P encoding with a compression-scheme that's better than MPEG2 using a high-bandwidth blue-laser disc...

24/192 6.1 surround sound would be nice too!

If it's done right I'll gladly wait as long as it takes...

dave :D

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
We probably won't see HD-DVD until DVD has run its course. I had hoped for years that we'd replace laserdisc with HD-LD, but instead, we got just another product that did the same thing - DVD.

So, now we have to wait for all of the VHS people to catch on to DVD, and then we need them to realize that the quality of DVD, both picture and sound, just aren't good enough.

DVD wasn't good enough on the day it was introduced. Until the public realizes that, HD-DVD will only exist as a concept.

Charlie

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If it's done right I'll gladly wait as long as it takes...
Ditto that. There have been plenty of DVDs that make my home theater system far better than any VHS or laserdisc "solution" and I'm sure that there will be many more.

They can take all of the time that they need as long as they get it right from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks