-

Photo

Rotel 1066 vs. Lexicon DC-1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 PhillipC

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 03:09 PM

Currently have the Rotel 1066. Am considering buying a used Lexicon DC-1 V4.0. Which one is better? I've heard that the Lexicon is just awesome for movies. Since I listen to 2 channel more, which one is better for 2 channel listening?

#2 of 10 Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 02:06 AM

I think for 2 channel, the Rotel is probably better. The DC2/MC1 has better sonics than DC1. But I'm not sure if any of the four are that much better than a decent cd/sacd player. Is your setup 5.1 or 7.1?

#3 of 10 Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 03:23 AM

I think a DC-1 with a two channel preamp gives you the best of both worlds... for less money (never mind Lex is offering the MC-8 tradeup program for DC-1 owners!). I have demo'ed the Rotel... and like it very much... and there is no doubt it betters the Lex on 2 channel. I love the tweakability of the Lex though... and adding a nice tube preamp with it is a very nice combination.

M.

#4 of 10 Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
...for less money (never mind Lex is offering the MC-8 tradeup program for DC-1 owners!)

Is the tradeup program only offered to the initial owner of the DC-1, MC-1, etc. By that I mean, could I buy a used one on audiogon or ebay, and then still implement the trade-up program, or do you have to be the first owner of the product?

Also, what are they charging to trade-up from the DC-1??

Thanks,
Nick

#5 of 10 Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 03:39 PM

The tradeup rule is it cannot have been traded up before on an MC-8, but it may have been traded in to Lexicon before. I believe they are offering $1000USD for a DC-1, though the details of the Canadian program are yet to be announced. Further info is here:
http://www.lexicon.com/MC8/trade.asp

I see two DC-1s on the Canadian used market right now for 1500/1600 cdn dollars. A pretty good deal considering no tax etc.

M.

#6 of 10 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 04:10 PM

The 1066 is the better unit and has better DACs, and a better suite of surround options including DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and authentic DD EX. Plus, it can be software upgraded. And it has 6 channel analog inputs for DVD-Audio or SACD players.

The DC-1, not mentioning Lexicon's Logic7, is too long in the tooth compared to other, current pre-amps and receivers.

Dan

#7 of 10 Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 05:33 PM

Hello Dan... not sure of your distinction about "authentic DD EX". The only format I think it is missing is DTS 6.1 discrete and the tradeoff for logic 7 is a no brainer. I also think the tweakability of the unit is significant... something the Rotel does not come close to (and the parameters have a substantial impact for long term enjoyment IMHO). Truth be told though, I do not think any of them do a good job on two channel.

I think you raise some good points though... there is always the MC-8 tradeup ;-)

M.

#8 of 10 Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:23 AM

I believe that the MC1 gets 3k credit, so that would be 3k cash (you pay full retail on trade-ins) for a 6k MC8 without balanced outs. Not a bad deal considering used MC1s are worth about 2k....so you'd be getting an MC8 for 5k.

However, a DC1's 1k credit means you would pay 5k cash for an MC8. Couldn't you just buy an MC8 from a dealer out right for 5k (without throwing in the DC1)? That seems like a reasonable 16% off retail. If you use the DC1s on trade-in, you'd be paying the full 6k since used DC1s are worth ~ 1k.

#9 of 10 Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 06:06 AM

That is a very good point. I was just wondering how much the trade-in value of the DC-1 might be.

If it is only 1K, then I would save myself the hassle of buying the used DC-1 in the first place.

Anyone know what the MSRP of the MC-8 is in Canada?? I sure hope the GF won't leave when I tell her I'm about to spend ~$9K on a little metal box (as she likes to put it).

#10 of 10 Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 06:35 AM

I believe there are a lot of discretionary points:

o the dealer has some leeway on the amount of the discount... and how it applies to MSRP.
o many dealers do not discount Lexicon gear. Your assumption you can 16% off the top is a very strong statement... especially for a new product.

As always... good negotiating works. The other approach is to simply wait for depreciation of the MC-8 given a lot of these processors depreciate almost at the rate of computer hardware (good for the used market I guess ;-)

M.