What's new

Rotel 1066 vs. Lexicon DC-1 (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Currently have the Rotel 1066. Am considering buying a used Lexicon DC-1 V4.0. Which one is better? I've heard that the Lexicon is just awesome for movies. Since I listen to 2 channel more, which one is better for 2 channel listening?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I think for 2 channel, the Rotel is probably better. The DC2/MC1 has better sonics than DC1. But I'm not sure if any of the four are that much better than a decent cd/sacd player. Is your setup 5.1 or 7.1?

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I think a DC-1 with a two channel preamp gives you the best of both worlds... for less money (never mind Lex is offering the MC-8 tradeup program for DC-1 owners!). I have demo'ed the Rotel... and like it very much... and there is no doubt it betters the Lex on 2 channel. I love the tweakability of the Lex though... and adding a nice tube preamp with it is a very nice combination.

M.

Nick V

Second Unit
...for less money (never mind Lex is offering the MC-8 tradeup program for DC-1 owners!)
Is the tradeup program only offered to the initial owner of the DC-1, MC-1, etc. By that I mean, could I buy a used one on audiogon or ebay, and then still implement the trade-up program, or do you have to be the first owner of the product?

Also, what are they charging to trade-up from the DC-1??

Thanks,
Nick

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
The tradeup rule is it cannot have been traded up before on an MC-8, but it may have been traded in to Lexicon before. I believe they are offering $1000USD for a DC-1, though the details of the Canadian program are yet to be announced. Further info is here:
http://www.lexicon.com/MC8/trade.asp

I see two DC-1s on the Canadian used market right now for 1500/1600 cdn dollars. A pretty good deal considering no tax etc.

M.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The 1066 is the better unit and has better DACs, and a better suite of surround options including DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and authentic DD EX. Plus, it can be software upgraded. And it has 6 channel analog inputs for DVD-Audio or SACD players.

The DC-1, not mentioning Lexicon's Logic7, is too long in the tooth compared to other, current pre-amps and receivers.

Dan

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Dan... not sure of your distinction about "authentic DD EX". The only format I think it is missing is DTS 6.1 discrete and the tradeoff for logic 7 is a no brainer. I also think the tweakability of the unit is significant... something the Rotel does not come close to (and the parameters have a substantial impact for long term enjoyment IMHO). Truth be told though, I do not think any of them do a good job on two channel.

I think you raise some good points though... there is always the MC-8 tradeup ;-)

M.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I believe that the MC1 gets 3k credit, so that would be 3k cash (you pay full retail on trade-ins) for a 6k MC8 without balanced outs. Not a bad deal considering used MC1s are worth about 2k....so you'd be getting an MC8 for 5k.

However, a DC1's 1k credit means you would pay 5k cash for an MC8. Couldn't you just buy an MC8 from a dealer out right for 5k (without throwing in the DC1)? That seems like a reasonable 16% off retail. If you use the DC1s on trade-in, you'd be paying the full 6k since used DC1s are worth ~ 1k.

Nick V

Second Unit
That is a very good point. I was just wondering how much the trade-in value of the DC-1 might be.

If it is only 1K, then I would save myself the hassle of buying the used DC-1 in the first place.

Anyone know what the MSRP of the MC-8 is in Canada?? I sure hope the GF won't leave when I tell her I'm about to spend ~$9K on a little metal box (as she likes to put it).

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I believe there are a lot of discretionary points:

o the dealer has some leeway on the amount of the discount... and how it applies to MSRP.
o many dealers do not discount Lexicon gear. Your assumption you can 16% off the top is a very strong statement... especially for a new product.

As always... good negotiating works. The other approach is to simply wait for depreciation of the MC-8 given a lot of these processors depreciate almost at the rate of computer hardware (good for the used market I guess ;-)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.