What's new

The Simpsons S3 - When? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if there is any word on this. I guess there is virtually no chance of a May Release at this point, huh?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
11 months apart seems to be the pattern:

S1 - September 2001
S2 - August 2002
S3 - July 2003? (according to that rumour)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That is actually closer to a year when you look at the days of those months. I will be expecting this one sometime in October

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously. I like having special features and all, but with 13 seasons of this show unreleased, at this rate standard DVD will be long since dead by the time the whole series is finally out. If Star Trek fans can get all of TNG in a single year, why can't we Simpson's fans get the series' entire run in 5 years? I think that's a reasonable amount of time, though even that would be too long for my liking. Would anyone really complain if we ditched the audio commentaries to get the discs out in something resembling a timely manner?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, if Fox wants the participation of Matt Groening and Al Jean, DVD production is going to be slow because of their commitment to the show as it is. I like the commentaries, but I do wish they could maybe record a few seasons worth at a time (depending on how long it actually does take) or maybe can can do commentary on every other episode. I would take that compromise if it would get the sets out faster

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
Part of the delay is probably because they are releasing Futurama too, and I thought I read that Matt was recording commentary on that as well, but there are less Futurama seasons so when it is done, they should be able to ramp up Simpsons (hopefully, although I'm glad to have Futurama too =p).

Actually, considering how reasonably priced the simpsons were compared to a lot of DVD-TV product, it's about one of the only ones where massive releases wouldn't hurt my budget, so I agree, churn em out!

Arild

Supporting Actor
I doubt it's because they're busy with the Futurama sets. The first two seasons have been out in region 2 for ages and the region 1 release appears to be pretty much identical, so it's not like they require a lot of time to work on them these days.

Haden

Supporting Actor
2-3 seasons released each year would be more reasonable. One every 11 months is insane. Fortunately I don't care about reaching season 13 (or 14, or whatever the hell they are up to now.) The series has sucked for the last 4-5 seasons.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"They already have. The hold up, whatever it is, isn't because of the commentaries."

Actually, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about that. USA Today reported around the time of the 300th episode that commentaries were still being recorded for S3

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"The series has sucked for the last 4-5 seasons"

I don't think I would go that far

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Matt Groening specifically said in a recent interview that what's holding the DVDs up is that his insistence on recording commentaries for every episode.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Matt Groening specifically said in a recent interview that what's holding the DVDs up is that his insistence on recording commentaries for every episode.
I don't mind slow releases as long as there's commentary on every episode. I mean, they show 4 Simpson episodes every day on tv so I'm more concerned with 'extras' on the DVD releases rather than trying to get my "fill" of episodes.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well at least Groening is adamant about participating in the season sets.

"I don't mind slow releases as long as there's commentary on every episode. I mean, they show 4 Simpson episodes every day on tv so I'm more concerned with 'extras' on the DVD releases rather than trying to get my "fill" of episodes."

I wish the would come out faster though. Fox does not show episodes from the first few seasons much anymore and some episodes are so badly butchered in syndication that I sometimes get angry watching

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
True, they do show Simpsons reruns all the time, but it seems like they are almost always from 1998 and later these days. In my opinion, these are the weakest episodes of the Simpsons, and I would really like to see more of the stuff that aired in the early 90s. Some commentaries would be nice, but I really don't want one for every episode. Maybe just for the 5 best episodes of the season. With 300+ episodes, how much can Groening really have to say that will be interesting, informative, and original for each?

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
The long wait for the Simpsons DVD's is a pain. The Simpsons is one of my favorite TV shows. I currently own Simpsons Season 1 & Season 2 (I purchased Season 1 & Season 2 in August 2002. I also watched these 2 seasons in August 2002). It brought back memories because I haven't seen the episodes in years (I was only 12 years old when the first Simpson episode aired in Dec 1989). I really wish that FOX, etc would release 2+ seasons per year.

Actually, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about that. USA Today reported around the time of the 300th episode that commentaries were still being recorded for S3
Really? I heard rumors last year on the Internet which stated that commentaries for the Simpsons were recorded up to Season 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks