What's new

The Apple Vision Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great News!

429941572_959286748898023_5626851925562194662_n.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is nothing but speculation, based on zero hard facts. Even the site that published the article acknowledges it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Looks like the love affair with Vision Pro is waning

As someone who is a huge fan of Apple, I am kind of sorry to see this wasn't as huge a success story for the company as they anticipated. This was a product they felt was a game-changer that would revolutionize Virtual Reality...err...Spatial Computing.

And I kind of understand its decline from the perspective of someone who owns a Virtual Reality device myself.

I wrote about this in another thread, but I find my interest in the Meta Quest 3 to have greatly waned. This is even though Meta has introduced some substantial improvements to the device via recent software upgrades that improve passthrough and overall resolution.

Truth be, these glasses are not light, with Apple's device being the heaviest of the two. They aren't comfortable to wear long-term.

As stated in the referenced articles, Apple has built a beautiful, quality device, yet failed to introduce enticing software. It certainly isn't a gaming device at this point which if it were, may have helped promote its adoption.

I think one of the biggest negatives of owning these devices is how isolating the experience of using them is. You can't share your VR experience with anyone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i just don’t know who the buyer is for a $3500 dev kit / advanced prototype / tech demo with no use case that’s better than any existing device?

Unless you want to watch 3D movies alone? If watching streaming movies alone is your jam, this is maybe best system for that. I mean, if you don’t care about great Atmos audio.

There is a potentially great mass market product that will emerge from this in a few years. But today, who’s buying this besides first-buyer tech enthusiasts with money to burn? Or speculative developers hoping for the next “iPhone gold rush”?

What surprises me is the implication that Apple grossly over estimated sales.

Do they not understand what they released and what people spend money on?

Robert Saccone

Premium

Looks like the love affair with Vision Pro is waning

As someone who is a huge fan of Apple, I am kind of sorry to see this wasn't as huge a success story for the company as they anticipated. This was a product they felt was a game-changer that would revolutionize Virtual Reality...err...Spatial Computing.

And I kind of understand its decline from the perspective of someone who owns a Virtual Reality device myself.

I wrote about this in another thread, but I find my interest in the Meta Quest 3 to have greatly waned. This is even though Meta has introduced some substantial improvements to the device via recent software upgrades that improve passthrough and overall resolution.

Truth be, these glasses are not light, with Apple's device being the heaviest of the two. They aren't comfortable to wear long-term.

As stated in the referenced articles, Apple has built a beautiful, quality device, yet failed to introduce enticing software. It certainly isn't a gaming device at this point which if it were, may have helped promote its adoption.

I think one of the biggest negatives of owning these devices is how isolating the experience of using them is. You can't share your VR experience with anyone.
The headline say it has canceled an update to the headset but in the article it says "may cancel" so I am still in the wait and see camp. I always thought that they would sell about 500K which seems to be where things are ending up. On a recent MacBreak Weekly there's was a good discussion about sports apps for the Vision Pro. The one for the Masters was particularly well done according to Jason Snell. If Apple sticks with it I think the apps will come.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think it’s hilarious that anyone is predicting product success based on what is essentially a first gen dev kit.

It's strange to read that from you given the fact that looking over this thread, you have been a cheerleader for its success even stating you would be interested in a next-gen release.

We were all hoping Apple would have success with this product and I don't think it's a stretch to say that we had anticipated we would all eventually own one of these.

With reports that Apple *MAY* not continue developing this product for future release, I am wondering if it will essentially become a bricked device that the company ceases to support.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
With reports that Apple *MAY* not continue developing this product for future release, I am wondering if it will essentially become a bricked device that the company ceases to support.

It’s exactly this speculation that’s weird to me. Thinking Vision as a future product line is in any way affected by the sales figures on v1 doesn’t make any sense to me. Apple is in no way unaware of the device’s limitations. Apple is in no way unaware of the price barrier. Apple is in no way scared of limited sales. Apple has never put out perfect v1s, Apple grinds.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rumors of cheaper model and speculation on timeline were part of original rumors. New rumors I think are that cheaper hardware is looking threatened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks