Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PIP Uses

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 08:03 AM

I never use PIP, POP, or the split-screen capability of my Mitsubishi TV, but with events in Iraq and the start of the NCAA basketball tournament, I've found that the split-screen feature is actually very useful.
Posted Image

Does anybody else use their PIP functions for this or other purposes?

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 06:20 PM

what kind of signal is your TV reception from? IE digital cable, standard cable, satellite

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 2,084 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 06:33 PM

I very rarely use PIP but that's because I rarely feel the need to watch one television program much less two at the same time. More often than not if I'm using PIP it's when I have company and we're switching between two different games.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 01:40 AM

I find that I don't use PIP or POP much because I use my home theater setup when watching regular TV and I have a problem with the audio when switching between PIP's. Anyone have a good setup that works?
"Part of intelligence is knowing someone elses version of reality is more accurate than yours"
---
My DVD Collection

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 02:55 AM

I have a wireless security camera hooked to one of my TV's inputs. If I'm watching a movie and the doorbell rings, I can see who it is without getting up. It's great for ignoring salespeople, as well as well-dressed families pushing phony smiles and propaganda, for which I have absolutely no interest. Posted Image

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 01:21 PM

Ottis--I just have regular cable. Ken--Sony has the best implementation of PIP audio that I've seen. One button switches audio between the main picture & PIP picture without exchanging. With my Mits, I have to press exchange to get audio with the main picture or the left side of the split-screen. John--that's a great use for PIP. I thought about doing something similiar except putting the camera in my young girls' room when they are playing with their toys or getting ready for bed. DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   sean_pecor

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 04:31 PM

PIP and POP are useful for rudimentary video tape editing because it eliminates the need for two televisions. My wife trains horses, and for training report tapes, she'll bring together various scenes from multiple tapes. PIP and POP are huge timesavers. Sean.
President, Lead Developer
Digital Spinner, Inc.
http://www.digitalspinner.com

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Walter.S

Walter.S

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 10:57 PM

Living in Florida, keeping current on the local weather is a must, especially in the summer. I often bring up the Weather Channel on the PIP to see the local radar when watching another channel, the DVD or the VCR.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Tim Hess

Tim Hess

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 06:32 AM

I play games (no sounds) in PIP with the little woman watching TV!

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 09:57 AM

I use PIP for switching between Dave and Jay (and Conan and Kilborn) depending on which guest is on. If you put the PIP window in the lower right corner, it's where the desk is, so you're not missing an important part of the picture. //Ken

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 05:45 AM

PIP is a marriage saver for me. I watch UCONN hoops/Red Sox games with no sound on my side, and she watches what she wants on her side. Last Friday night I had Maryland/UNC-Wilmington on one side and Miss St./Butler on the other. Both games went down to the buzzer at nearly the same moment. Two unbelievable games!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TimTurtino

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:27 PM

[quote] I find that I don't use PIP or POP much because I use my home theater setup when watching regular TV and I have a problem with the audio when switching between PIP's. Anyone have a good setup that works? [quote]

I do the following:

Many of my devices have multiple analog outs. For those, it's easy-- I run one set of wires to my A/V receiver, and one set to the TV. For the ones that don't have that flexibility, I've bought myself a few 1:4 S-Video Distribution Amps from Rat$hack that let me split the signal as many ways as I've (yet) needed it.

What I've actually ended up with is every device runs to the (both audio and video) and every device runs to the A/V receiver. This alleviates SO problems immensely-- we can always

1) Listen to the sound out of the TV
2) Mute the TV, sound comes out the TV into the receiver
3) Switch the TV to the receiver's input and use the receiver for all A/V switching
4) Swith the TV and the receiver separately, for best quality sound and picture. (what I do)

The first 3 choice are compromises, but they alleviate the "how do I make this darn thing work?" issues and they allow me to use PIP to its utmost.

Of course, now that I have TiVo, PIP is pretty much unnecessary....

Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users