What's new

PIP Uses (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I never use PIP, POP, or the split-screen capability of my Mitsubishi TV, but with events in Iraq and the start of the NCAA basketball tournament, I've found that the split-screen feature is actually very useful.

Does anybody else use their PIP functions for this or other purposes?

DJ

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I very rarely use PIP but that's because I rarely feel the need to watch one television program much less two at the same time. More often than not if I'm using PIP it's when I have company and we're switching between two different games.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I find that I don't use PIP or POP much because I use my home theater setup when watching regular TV and I have a problem with the audio when switching between PIP's. Anyone have a good setup that works?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I have a wireless security camera hooked to one of my TV's inputs. If I'm watching a movie and the doorbell rings, I can see who it is without getting up. It's great for ignoring salespeople, as well as well-dressed families pushing phony smiles and propaganda, for which I have absolutely no interest. :D

David Judah

Screenwriter
Ottis--I just have regular cable.

Ken--Sony has the best implementation of PIP audio that I've seen. One button switches audio between the main picture & PIP picture without exchanging. With my Mits, I have to press exchange to get audio with the main picture or the left side of the split-screen.

John--that's a great use for PIP. I thought about doing something similiar except putting the camera in my young girls' room when they are playing with their toys or getting ready for bed.

DJ

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
PIP and POP are useful for rudimentary video tape editing because it eliminates the need for two televisions. My wife trains horses, and for training report tapes, she'll bring together various scenes from multiple tapes. PIP and POP are huge timesavers.

Sean.

Walter.S

Auditioning
Living in Florida, keeping current on the local weather is a must, especially in the summer. I often bring up the Weather Channel on the PIP to see the local radar when watching another channel, the DVD or the VCR.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I use PIP for switching between Dave and Jay (and Conan and Kilborn) depending on which guest is on. If you put the PIP window in the lower right corner, it's where the desk is, so you're not missing an important part of the picture.

//Ken

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
PIP is a marriage saver for me. I watch UCONN hoops/Red Sox games with no sound on my side, and she watches what she wants on her side.

Last Friday night I had Maryland/UNC-Wilmington on one side and Miss St./Butler on the other. Both games went down to the buzzer at nearly the same moment. Two unbelievable games!

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
I find that I don't use PIP or POP much because I use my home theater setup when watching regular TV and I have a problem with the audio when switching between PIP's. Anyone have a good setup that works?
I do the following:

Many of my devices have multiple analog outs. For those, it's easy-- I run one set of wires to my A/V receiver, and one set to the TV. For the ones that don't have that flexibility, I've bought myself a few 1:4 S-Video Distribution Amps from Rat$hack that let me split the signal as many ways as I've (yet) needed it.

What I've actually ended up with is every device runs to the (both audio and video) and every device runs to the A/V receiver. This alleviates SO problems immensely-- we can always

1) Listen to the sound out of the TV
2) Mute the TV, sound comes out the TV into the receiver
3) Switch the TV to the receiver's input and use the receiver for all A/V switching
4) Swith the TV and the receiver separately, for best quality sound and picture. (what I do)

The first 3 choice are compromises, but they alleviate the "how do I make this darn thing work?" issues and they allow me to use PIP to its utmost.

Of course, now that I have TiVo, PIP is pretty much unnecessary....

Me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks