Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Frighteners Dir Cut DVD Please Universal.......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:04 AM

Posted Image
The LD is one of the most all time sought after SpEd's mainly for the fact that it's one of the best ever produced and becasue there was only a print of about 1000 of them. I've been searching for ages for it on ebay, but every time it comes up you'd need to be a lottery winner to even atempt a bid.

So I was reading Dave's review of it onhorrordvds.com (great site BTW) and it just got my juices flowing for this again. I tried to put my name down on the pitition to Universal on the horror DVD's site to release it but the link just came up "page error".

Anyway Anchor Bay have brought out a few Universal SpEd's such as Army Of Darkness and Repo man so do you think if Peter (his Holyness) Jackson could get rights issues sorted out with universal regarding this then we could probably have a tie at the end of the year between 2 Towers Extened and Frighteners Dir Cut as the DVD of the year.

Anyway. All those who would give anything to have this release on DVD put their names down here and i'll send all comments/posts regarding it off to Universal/Anchor bay/PJonline........ or anyone i can think of that would be able to give this movie the release it deserves on DVD before all us "indiana Jones relec hunter" types die of frustration from not getting our hands on the Signature edition LD.

am I being naive.......... probably. But it's worth trying anyway. So come on dont be backward about coming forward and get your name down if you want this to happen
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#2 of 20 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:13 AM

Declan, you aren't the only one who wants this puppy on DVD Posted Image

I mean, the supplements are already there (Director's Cut of the movie, commentary, 4 hour documentary ALA LOTR:EE), someone NEEDS to release it sometime!

#3 of 20 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:15 AM

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Foolish people. Who ever heard of Universal doing a worthwhile re-issue? Posted Image

Seriously, we missed the boat on this when Universal re-issued the current disc with this awful cover:

Posted Image

*sigh* Posted Image
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#4 of 20 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:18 AM

With this reissue, didn't they actually strip away some of the features as well?

#5 of 20 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:19 AM

Would be wonderful if it were to happen...

#6 of 20 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
With this reissue, didn't they actually strip away some of the features as well?
Oh no, they got rid of the trailer! (the only extra feature on the current disc) Posted Image

I suggest you tell Universal by emptying your pocketbook and getting the current release. It's anamorphic and sports a nice DD5.1 track... plus if they sell enough, they will want to dip their head back in for another apple.

#7 of 20 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:21 AM

No. The disc is the same (from what I can tell).

I suppose our next chance is round about August 2004 when Jackson's 'Return of the King' is released on DVD.

These marketing people do seem to like their marketing synergy (or whatever it's called) even though the vast majority of the population couldn't even describe accurately what a director does, let alone name them. Posted Image

Posted Image
Rob - the trailer is on (according to the back of the box)

#8 of 20 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
I suggest you tell Universal by emptying your pocketbook and getting the current release. It's anamorphic and sports a nice DD5.1 track... plus if they sell enough, they will want to dip their head back in for another apple.

Ah yes, the old "sell enough of the first release and people will want to buy another" - more marketing that I've never really understood.

Why should high sales make people think people want to buy another version? Don't most people resent frequent disc 'upgrades'?

#9 of 20 Scott McAllister

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 07:48 AM

Hey! The Frighteners. This has been one of my fav movies since 98 when I first saw it. I remember I had just bought a brand new sub (Cambridge Soundworks Powered 12") and the Universal logo and opening title sure rattled my windows. Posted Image

Pardon my uninformness, but what exactly was made different for the Director's Cut? Anybody?

Scott
"Being God must be tough, huh?"

"When you do it right, nobody thinks you did anything at all."

#10 of 20 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 08:26 AM

The Director's Cut of this film has just a few minutes of extra material, mostly furthering the characterization of Michael J Fox's "ghost friends". It's not significatly different than the original, but is a nice option to have. I have been a fan of this movie since soon after it came out and preordered the LD box set from Ken Cranes, where it was $40 when first released. It's a daunting amount of special features, and I actually have watched the whole documentary. The problem is that I also have the DTS LD of the theatrical cut, so which one do I watch?Posted Image
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#11 of 20 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 24 2003 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
The problem is that I also have the DTS LD of the theatrical cut, so which one do I watch?

We should all have that problem Phil!Posted Image

Seriously though, I well continue told hold on to the dream, and hold off on buying, the special edition of this disk. As much as I love this movie, and PJs work in general, I can't bring myself to buy this version, knowing about the documentary and directors cut!

Isn't Universal the ones that put out those Ultimate Editions like Legend in the crappy clear cases? If so, then they have no excuss to not release this in the same line!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#12 of 20 Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 09:46 AM

It boggles my mind when Universal releases ultimate editions of crappy movies like Legend, American Pie, Notting Hill (?!), and Meet Joe Black (ugh). But the great films like Frighteners get snuffed...oh wait it's about those green pieces of paper called money. But somewhere down the line I think there might be an ultimate edition but on the successor to DVD after this film has a 20 year fan base built in.

After I saw the new cover I rushed out and bought one of the last discs with the theatrical poster displayed. It's a great disc in terms of video and audio but it's screaming for a special edition.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#13 of 20 MikeSilver

MikeSilver

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
The problem is that I also have the DTS LD of the theatrical cut, so which one do I watch?

I'd go with the DTS LD. Boy am I glad I grabbed that for $9.99 during the Ken Cranes LD purges. Posted Image

#14 of 20 Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
It boggles my mind when Universal releases ultimate editions of crappy movies like Legend, American Pie, Notting Hill (?!), and Meet Joe Black (ugh).

Let's not forget Patch Adams: Ultimate Edition.
One of the reasons I bought an LD player was for the DC,and then I saw the prices on Ebay (scary indeed). I don't see how Universal can make us wait like this. Maybe they like to see people in agaony (Patch Adams again).
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#15 of 20 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
It boggles my mind when Universal releases ultimate editions of crappy movies like Legend,

Ahem, Legend is anything but "crappy", and at least Frighteners got released in its proper form on LD. This is the first time Legend has EVER been released properly

#16 of 20 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 24 2003 - 01:50 PM

Posted Image right now there are 2 auctions up on the 'bay for frighteners spec ed.

both with about 4 days left.
one is about $100 the other is already at over $150.

Posted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 20 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 05:53 PM

Knowing Universal when they finally do get around to releasing it they'll take the four hour documentary and cut about 3/4ths of it.

They did this type of editing for E.T., Jaws, and other films that had wonderful documentaries on LD and trimmed them down to featurettes that hardly resemble their former glory!

Dan

#18 of 20 Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted February 24 2003 - 06:36 PM

It's a Universal film right? Couldn't Criterion try and get the rights to release a special edition?
Fetch the mind-wipe ray!
You mean the Magnum?
....yes.

#19 of 20 Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 12:25 AM

I love this film, and I remember that some fool who runs a LOTR website ran a windu p story (on april 1st 2002)this set was coming to DVD... the words 'not' and 'funny' were a polite way to describe my feelings...

Just about everyone I know wants this SE.

#20 of 20 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,456 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
It boggles my mind when Universal releases ultimate editions of crappy movies like Legend, American Pie, Notting Hill (?!), and Meet Joe Black (ugh).

Quote:
Ahem, Legend is anything but "crappy", and at least Frighteners got released in its proper form on LD. This is the first time Legend has EVER been released properly

Right, and Legend is the kind of cult film that collectors go for, and as Jeff mentioned, the "Ultimate Edition" was the first DVD release, and also the first time the film had been seen the way it was intended. (Not to mention the director's cut is a much, much better film than either theatrical version.)

I can't really defend the others. Posted Image Posted Image

Back on topic, though, I have the current Frighteners disc (with the original artwork Posted Image ), but I'd certainly go for a DC release if it was produced.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow