Frighteners Dir Cut DVD Please Universal.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Declan, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Declan

Declan Second Unit

[​IMG]
    The LD is one of the most all time sought after SpEd's mainly for the fact that it's one of the best ever produced and becasue there was only a print of about 1000 of them. I've been searching for ages for it on ebay, but every time it comes up you'd need to be a lottery winner to even atempt a bid.

So I was reading Dave's review of it onhorrordvds.com (great site BTW) and it just got my juices flowing for this again. I tried to put my name down on the pitition to Universal on the horror DVD's site to release it but the link just came up "page error".

Anyway Anchor Bay have brought out a few Universal SpEd's such as Army Of Darkness and Repo man so do you think if Peter (his Holyness) Jackson could get rights issues sorted out with universal regarding this then we could probably have a tie at the end of the year between 2 Towers Extened and Frighteners Dir Cut as the DVD of the year.

Anyway. All those who would give anything to have this release on DVD put their names down here and i'll send all comments/posts regarding it off to Universal/Anchor bay/PJonline........ or anyone i can think of that would be able to give this movie the release it deserves on DVD before all us "indiana Jones relec hunter" types die of frustration from not getting our hands on the Signature edition LD.

am I being naive.......... probably. But it's worth trying anyway. So come on dont be backward about coming forward and get your name down if you want this to happen

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Declan, you aren't the only one who wants this puppy on DVD [​IMG]

I mean, the supplements are already there (Director's Cut of the movie, commentary, 4 hour documentary ALA LOTR:EE), someone NEEDS to release it sometime!

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Foolish people. Who ever heard of Universal doing a worthwhile re-issue? [​IMG]

Seriously, we missed the boat on this when Universal re-issued the current disc with this awful cover:

[​IMG]

*sigh* [​IMG]

4. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

With this reissue, didn't they actually strip away some of the features as well?

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Would be wonderful if it were to happen...

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

7. James Reader

No. The disc is the same (from what I can tell).

I suppose our next chance is round about August 2004 when Jackson's 'Return of the King' is released on DVD.

These marketing people do seem to like their marketing synergy (or whatever it's called) even though the vast majority of the population couldn't even describe accurately what a director does, let alone name them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rob - the trailer is on (according to the back of the box)

8. James Reader

9. Scott McAllister

Scott McAllister Stunt Coordinator

Hey! The Frighteners. This has been one of my fav movies since 98 when I first saw it. I remember I had just bought a brand new sub (Cambridge Soundworks Powered 12") and the Universal logo and opening title sure rattled my windows. [​IMG]

Pardon my uninformness, but what exactly was made different for the Director's Cut? Anybody?

Scott

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The Director's Cut of this film has just a few minutes of extra material, mostly furthering the characterization of Michael J Fox's "ghost friends". It's not significatly different than the original, but is a nice option to have. I have been a fan of this movie since soon after it came out and preordered the LD box set from Ken Cranes, where it was $40 when first released. It's a daunting amount of special features, and I actually have watched the whole documentary. The problem is that I also have the DTS LD of the theatrical cut, so which one do I watch?[​IMG]

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

12. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

It boggles my mind when Universal releases ultimate editions of crappy movies like Legend, American Pie, Notting Hill (?!), and Meet Joe Black (ugh). But the great films like Frighteners get snuffed...oh wait it's about those green pieces of paper called money. But somewhere down the line I think there might be an ultimate edition but on the successor to DVD after this film has a 20 year fan base built in.

After I saw the new cover I rushed out and bought one of the last discs with the theatrical poster displayed. It's a great disc in terms of video and audio but it's screaming for a special edition.

13. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

14. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    [​IMG] right now there are 2 auctions up on the 'bay for frighteners spec ed.

both with about 4 days left.
    one is about $100 the other is already at over $150.

[​IMG]

17. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Knowing Universal when they finally do get around to releasing it they'll take the four hour documentary and cut about 3/4ths of it.

They did this type of editing for E.T., Jaws, and other films that had wonderful documentaries on LD and trimmed them down to featurettes that hardly resemble their former glory!

Dan

18. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

It's a Universal film right? Couldn't Criterion try and get the rights to release a special edition?

19. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

I love this film, and I remember that some fool who runs a LOTR website ran a windu p story (on april 1st 2002)this set was coming to DVD... the words 'not' and 'funny' were a polite way to describe my feelings...

Just about everyone I know wants this SE.

20. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck