What's new

Treasure Island (1950) cover art (2 Viewers)

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
Was this one ever earmarked (no pun intended) to be a Vault Disney title?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It seems to fit 20000 Leagues so well, I'm betting it's the same backdrop

Nonetheless, I'll pick it up

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
At least we needn't worry about aspect ratio issues, as this was a 1950 film. Wish they'd prepared a special edition, though - this was the film that really committed Disney to live-action (and British production) and was/is a classic adventure, splendidly cast, performed, photographed and directed.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Newton was BORN to play Long John!

But is this the full length version? One edition released to video before the LD was of the TV cut, shorn of the "violent" scenes. Those scenes, from the book, gave the picture some needed grit. I think full theatrical version runs ca. 98 minutes.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
The last VHS and LD were uncut...but for some odd reason, the VHS uses a 16mm print as a source; I remember a wonderful restored print that used to be on The Disney Channel...probably the same one that's going to be on this DVD...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Another small detail from amazon.com is the retail price - $29.99. This is the same retail price as 20K Leagues, which points to this having some nice bonus material, if not two discs.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The $29.99 SRP is odd, because the press release and materials make absolutely no reference to extra features.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Cool! Thanks for the good news.

I'm waiting for Disney to release "Kidnapped" and "Ten Who Dared" - two other live action adventures.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Treasure Island is one of my favorite childhood movies and I'll be glad to see it on DVD again. Since it was filmed in 3-strip Technicolor, so the DVD ought to look fantastic.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Arrrggghhh! I just be seeing this here dvd, I says. And me good pal, Jim Hawkins comes through again. You be a'wanting to purchase this here film, so open your change purse, pull out your doubloons and purchase said dvd. Then prepare to shove off to Treasure Island! Arrrggghhh, matey!

(Okay, maybe I went overboard on this film. But this was enjoyable! They definitely don't make them like this anymore!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks