What's new

SOny going Hybrid and Dark Side confirmed on SACD (1 Viewer)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Found this on AA:

SACD FACT SHEET

Overview:

Over the past year, the Super Audio CD format gained significant momentum. More hardware manufacturers placed new players on the market and music companies, such as Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment, continued to introduce new stereo and multi-channel surround titles. Additionally, the release of the 22 Rolling Stones Remastered Series recordings on hybrid SACD by ABKCO Music was one of the most highly anticipated music events of 2002.

Music:

The new year is starting off with some important SACD announcements. Universal Music Group, which issued its first SACD titles last year, will release a significant number of new SACD titles in 2003. These include reissuing the entire catalog of The Police, along with a multi-channel surround version of the band's greatest hits on hybrid SACD to coincide with the band's induction into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Sony Music is also planning an aggressive SACD schedule, which will peak in Fall `03 with the release of 15 classic Bob Dylan albums on hybrid SACD. And in March 2003, EMI will celebrate the 30th anniversary of Pink Floyd's seminal recording "Dark Side of the Moon" with a multi-channel reissue exclusively on hybrid SACD.

These major label releases will be augmented by a variety of other SACD releases from audiophile and independent labels, including a new series from Concorde Music.

There are currently more than 600 SACD titles available in the U.S., half of which are multi-channel surround titles.

Products:

In addition to players from SACD co-developers Sony and Philips, several new models are being introduced at CES 2003 from such manufacturers as Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz and Sharp. These companies join Accuphase, Classe, dCS, Lindeman, Linn and Luxman in offering a variety of stand-alone and DVD-Video/SACD combination models as well as home theater in a box systems.

In all, more than 15 companies manufacture SACD hardware. And, according to industry estimates, more than 2 million SACD players have been sold worldwide (life to date).

Replication:

In addition to the Sonopress replication facility in Gutersloh, Germany, hybrid disc SACD replication is available now from Crest National in the U.S. and Sony Disc Manufacturing in Japan. Additionally, Sony Music has announced that hybrid disc replication will begin at Sony Disc Manufacturing in Terre Haute, Ind. in mid-2003 and Viva Magnetics has also announced the start of hybrid SACD replication in Vancouver and Hong Kong in January 2003.

Production:

Recently, new SACD production equipment has been introduced by several professional companies including dCS, EMM Labs, Genex, Sadie, Sonic Studios and Tascam.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Some more:
SONY MUSIC ANNOUNCES NEW BOB DYLAN SUPER AUDIO CD (SACD) SERIES
15 Classic Titles On Hybrid SACD To Lead Enhancement of Dylan Catalog
LAS VEGAS (CES, Booth #N109), Jan. 10, 2003 -- Sony Music Entertainment (SME) today announced it will be releasing a new series of classic albums by Columbia Records artist Bob Dylan on hybrid Super Audio CD (SACD) this Fall. The announcement was made by Jeff Jones, Senior Vice President, Legacy Recordings during a special SACD reception sponsored by Sony and Philips at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
The Bob Dylan titles mark the beginning of an ongoing program to enhance and upgrade the sonic quality and packaging elements of the Dylan catalog. These 15 titles are also the first Sony Music recordings to be released on hybrid SACD and will be produced on a new hybrid disc replication line that is scheduled to be launched in May, 2003 at Sony Disc Manufacturing's U.S. flagship facility in Terre Haute, Indiana. The 15 titles comprise many iconic titles from Dylan's canon: Free Wheelin'; Another Side of Bob Dylan; Bringing It All Back Home; Highway 61 Revisited; John Wesley Harding; Nashville Skyline; Blood On The Tracks; Desire; Slow Train Coming; Infidels; Oh Mercy; Time Out Of Mind; Love and Theft; Royal Albert Hall and Street Legal.
"The release of these classic Bob Dylan albums on hybrid SACD will extend the benefits of this exciting format to a much wider audience," stated Jeff Jones. "Each of these Dylan titles will be reissued in stereo, and they will be carefully remastered and reproduced to the highest quality standards." The entire series of reissues will be remastered by Greg Calbi, Senior Mastering Engineer at Sterling Sound in New York, whose credits include John Lennon's Walls and Bridges and Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run albums.
To date, Sony Music has released approximately 200 SACD titles including nearly 60 in multichannel surround sound. During the first quarter of this year, Sony Music will be releasing a variety of other stereo and multichannel SACD titles including Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic; James Taylor's Flag and Dad Loves His Work; and a new album by Macy Gray.
And:
SONY DISC MANUFACTURING TO LAUNCH PREMIERE HYBRID SUPER AUDIO CD (SACD) PRODUCTION LINE
Discs Will Play In Both SACD and CD Players With Optimum Sound and Spatial Presence
Terre Haute, IN (January 6, 2003) - Sony Disc Manufacturing (SDM), the world's leading producer of prerecorded optical discs, today announced it will install a new hybrid Super Audio CD (SACD) line at its flagship U.S. manufacturing facility in Terre Haute, Indiana by April, 2003, with production slated to begin in May, 2003. The line will initially produce 15,000 hybrid SACD discs per day. Hybrid SACD replication services will also be available to third-party clients.
The Super Audio CD format delivers the highest form of sonic purity with unprecedented frequency response and dynamic range, and is recognized by critics, music industry professionals and consumers as the next generation sound carrier, markedly superior to standard CDs.
Hybrid Super Audio CD discs feature a high-density layer which can provide high-resolution, multichannel surround sound in addition to a separate two-channel stereo SACD version of the same music, and a layer with a CD version of the recording. The result is a hybrid disc whose full audio potential can be realized by the new generation of SACD players, and which is fully compatible with all other existing CD players on the market today. In addition, the SACD layer in hybrid discs contains the industry's most powerful content protection, utilizing cutting-edge encryption technologies.
"As a developer of the SACD format, Sony is dedicated to expanding the awareness for and broadening the acceptance of this trailblazing technology," says Michael Mitchell, Vice President/General Manager, Sony Disc Manufacturing. "Our new hybrid Super Audio CD line reflects Sony's and Sony Music's shared commitment to providing the most advanced recording and playback technologies so that every music fan can experience unsurpassed SACD sound quality on equipment that is fully compatible with their existing CD collection, stereo and home entertainment systems."
Super Audio CD comprises four key enabling technologies:
1) Direct Stream Digital (DSD), source coding technology for superior high quality sound
2) Direct Stream Transfer (DST) technology, which allows both stereo and multichannel mixes on one disc
3) Content protection technology containing the invisible watermark PSP (Pit Signal Processing) for both content access and playback control
4) Single layer, dual layer and hybrid discs
As the world's largest producer of prerecorded optical discs, Sony Disc Manufacturing supplies a full line of high-quality products and services for the education, entertainment and information industries. Services include digital authoring, copy control, graphic design, mastering, replication, packaging, distribution and fulfillment for CD, CD-ROM, DVD, Super Audio CD,
PlayStation™ and hybrid Internet discs. Sony Disc Manufacturing has three ISO-certified locations in the U.S.: Pitman, New Jersey; Springfield, Oregon; and Terre Haute, Indiana. For more information, visit the Sony Disc Manufacturing website at: http://sdm.sony.com or call (800) 358-7316 to speak with a sales representative.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Gawd. I'll bet 95% of those DSOTM's are just going to sit on the shelves.
What a stupid, stupid choice by EMI and Pink Floyd.
LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This is great news!
Hybrids from Sony. :)
Huge Dylan titles. :)
Hybrid Police. :)
and of course Dark Side of The Moon with a new Roger Waters and other band-approved 5.1 mix.
How much better does it get?
And we get new Sony Terre Haute Hybrid capacity!!!
Awesome!
:D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Gawd. I'll bet 95% of those DSOTM's are just going to sit on the shelves.
Guess again Lance. The only release will be HYBRID SACD. So anyone with a CD player is good to go.

Such negative comments in the face of good news.

Something tells me you would complain if Sony released a DVDA of the title.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
How much better does it get?
It would be better if they included two multichannel mixes, the new 5.1 one and the old 70's quadrophonic mix. After hearing some old quad mixes on DTS CDs I for one am very curious how this sounds. Guess I'll never know. :frowning:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Guess I'll never know.
:laugh:
How much you wanna bet that this releases success prompts EMI to unveil the original Quad mastering in the future?
If they use the Quad mix to help guide the 5.1, the 5.1 will likely sound BETTER than the Quad version.
Spend the $200 bucks for an SACD player and listen to what Roger Waters was excited about...you will spend less than what you would pay for a copy of the Quad mix.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Great, great news! Hybrid SACDs from Sony! Dylan hybrid SACDs! Whoo-hoo!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Most music fans? I'll bet they will care less.
Just an example with collectors. Music fans will always buy another DSOTM, just like jazz fans will keep buying Kind of Blue.

Hell, I bet even most Floyd fans will come up with the $200 (or less with Zenith) admission cost to Super Audio land so they can hear 5.1 Dark Side of The Moon.

Face it Lance, EMI did the right thing by reaching more music fans including those without a DVDA capable DVD player.

But remain skeptical if you will...Let's just sit back and see how this puppy sells in March.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
15 classic Bob Dylan albums on hybrid SACD
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Nice.

Michael_T

Second Unit
The only "problem" is that we have to wait until the Fall to see these Dylan SACDs.
That's a full 9 months from now. I don't know if I can wait.;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance,
Ever the optimist, I see. ;)
Mike said:
The only "problem" is that we have to wait until the Fall to see these Dylan SACDs.
That's a full 9 months from now.
That gives Sony plenty of time to change its mind. :frowning: Like the guy in Airplane!: "Just kidding." :D

Brian-W

Screenwriter
It's about time Sony finally got their HYBRID act together
All this pitching of a great format that's backwards compatible, and they haven't even used it yet. Geez, it only took them 3 years to get their act together.
Well, at least they are...... :angry: :emoji_thumbsup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of using some of my upcoming tax refund for a dvd-audio player (Panasonic's DVD-XP50) but I'm not so sure anymore.
The positive side of that is I could buy that Project turntable I saw at Tweeter, instead of the lower priced Technics tt at J&R Music.
This sucks.
LJ

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
OMG,
Looks like my SACD savings slush fund needs a few more percentage points added this 2003 SACD year, it's looking rather costly. come...on stock market be good to me, daddy wants some new music.
Sony finally produces a Hybrid for the masses :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks