What's new

Why is Panasonic so limited? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I am thinking of upgrading to an RP82 but I can't find one locally anywhere. Online is no better. I can find plenty of everyone elses brand but the only Panasonics I can find is the RP62 and below. Thought about going for an RP62 but for what I am looking for the RP82 would be a better choice and only slightly more.

I know these are popular but how popular could it really be? Your average John Q Public would not know the difference anyway. Plus Panasonic is a huge company and would not have any problems keeping up with demand. Yet these can't be found anywhere. Very odd!!!

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
They are discontinued,.
Well that is just great Panasonic....WAY TO GO!!!....The most popular player on the planet and they discontinue it.

Actually I picked up on the AVS Forum that many retailers are saying it is discontinued in order to steer customers into other models. It is not actually discontinued. The new model will not be out until summer at least.

I sent an e-mail to OneCall asking if I can pre-order and have them send it out when stock arrives. So far no response.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Doesn't Panasonic only make low end DVD players? As far as I know and I could be wrong. I dont think they make anything that would compete with the Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Denon or especially Meridian, McItosh and Theta.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you consider a $200-$230 DVD player to be low end, then perhaps Panasonic is a low end DVD player manufacturer. The way I look at it, DVD player technology has come a long way since 1997, and you can get a lot of performance for under $250.

Only a very small percentage of buyers will benefit from spending $3500 on a DVD player (like the Denon DVD-9000)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Panasonic makes a great player at a great price and everyone wants one. Same thing happened with the RP91, they were really hard to find and rumors went around that it had been discountinued, but it is in production still. And Chris, for a long time the RP91 was pretty much king of the hill and outperformed players double it's price. It's still considered one of the best players available.

Bryan Guth

Agent
The RP-82 has a low-end price for sure but its performance is worth ten times the asking price, especially for videophiles. I'm glad I got mine before the surge in demand! By the way--anyone residing in the Seattle area should be able to purchase the RP82 from Video Only. They also carry the '72, for those who prefer a changer and won't miss a coax output.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Did not mean to make it sound like Panasonic was not making a quality product. Dam I hope that is not the way I came across :b . My first dvd player was a Panasonic and it did a great job. Panasonic is well know for longevity in there products but referance quality is not what it think of when I think of Pany thats all. My brother just bought a JVC dvd player that I think is not so hot. To be honest I think he should have bought a Panasonic. The JVC has a problem with artifacts depending on the level of detail in the background and in dark scense it shows up more. I never had that problem with my Pany or even my Pioneer DV-525. My main dvd is a Sony DVP-S9000 that I purchased about 3 months ago for about $850 including a 10 year extended warrenty :D .

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let some of you know... I live in Miami, Fl. and was killing myself looking for a RP-82 online... of course no one had any in stock... So low and behold om Christmas morning I am unwrapping a present from my wife and POW!!!!!!!!!!! An RP-82.... She knew I was dying for one.... Where did she get it???? YES a B&M store... BRANDSMART!!!!!!!!!!! So if any are interested.. I do not know if they are national but there are 3 in Miami.. Call them maybe they ship!!!!

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
We must have a lot of videophiles now days. I still think Panasonic has the capability to produce enough of these to satisfy every videophile who would want one.

Perhaps after the first of the year the demand will die down and these will be easier to find.

I currently have a Toshiba SD-K710 progressive scan player. It is basically the same model as the SD3800 with a different model number for Costco. It is a pretty good player but it does have the chroma bug. At first it did not bother me but then after researching it and then noticing it when I watch movies I can see it during certain shots.

Since I have an old RCA DVD player that is not very healthy I decided to relocate the Toshiba and replace it with a Panisonic RP82 for mainline service.

Since the RP82 is in such demand I can wait it out a while. It will show up eventually.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to Panasonic's DVD player offerings:
Link Removed
Suffice it to say, any player listed with DVD-Audio playback capability has the 6 analog channel (5.1) outputs on them.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
FYI the player is being discontinued, this is not to move you into any other product. As one of the largest panasonic retailers i can tell you this is a very reliable source. Also if you want the 5 disc model ending in cp72 is the exact player with multi disc capabilities.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Has the RP82 been discontinued because of revenues or short supply? What does your source say about that?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Has Panasonic offically announced that the 82 is discountinued? The same rumors went around with the 91, and it is still with us.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I have the option of ordering an RP82 from OneCall and having it delivered when stock arrives. They hope to get a shipment from Panasonic by the end of January.

Right now I am debating if I should just order an RP82 and wait for a shipment or just wait until we hear more about the RP83.

I am a little concerned that Panasonic might decide to go a little cheaper on the RP83. If they even make an RP83.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Read a post on the AVS forum from a guy who contacted Panasonic, who told him to check a certain reseller, who then told the poster that they would be getting more of the 82 in January and that they are to be discountinued in March. March would be just about right if they announce a new player at CES this January.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic can make very high quality products when they want to. Though I think the lousy economy(?) has hit them kind of hard. :
The DVD-H2000, original msrp $2500 (in 2001). Can't find it on Panny's site anymore: http://www.video-direct.com/panasoni...dvd-h2000.html
Their Technics audio division stopped building $3500 stereo amp/preamp combo this last year also. Available only in Europe though: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm
Separates that are still available: http://panasonic.co.uk/product/amplifier/
(hit that "television" link & check out all the widescreen TVs available over there!)
A wearable PC computer?!:
http://panasonic.co.uk/product/wearablepc/CF07LZ5ZY.htm
The above are some reasons I own an all Panasonic/Technics HT component system (speakers are Bostons though :D).
LJ

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Maybe when I am at the CES show I will bring up your concerns with a rep for Panasonic if I remember:b . I will pass the link to the thread along to the rep and maybe he may have an answer when more units will be available and why there may be a problem ??
Happy New Year Everyone :D
Am leaving Thursday night on the 9th to go to the CES show. Maybe I will see some of you there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks