What's new

Zenith DVB 318 & LG 7832 DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph

Don, I think we know you feel this way. I suggest you read through this thread and also the other Upconverting thread and count the number of times that this quote has already been mentioned by yourself as well as the "top-rated xp30" portion. It is becoming a little embarrasing or annoying, depending on one's point of view.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for saying something Neil. I hold both points of view on the dogmatic XP30 promotion. By this point it pretty much amounts to thread crapping.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for saying something Neil. I hold both points of view on the dogmatic XP30 promotion. By this point it pretty much amounts to thread crapping.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I was merely responding with my choice (saves a lot of money) from someone who posted this as the suggested solution:
>

I felt it important to let folks know there are other cheaper solutions to the problem. I just wish the Zenith-advocates came clean on the model's limitations that would help let people make informed decisions.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I was merely responding with my choice (saves a lot of money) from someone who posted this as the suggested solution:
>

I felt it important to let folks know there are other cheaper solutions to the problem. I just wish the Zenith-advocates came clean on the model's limitations that would help let people make informed decisions.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Don, what you're saying, as I read it here, is that the XP30 is available cheaper than the Zenith. Where are you finding the XP30 for less than $160? I have not been able to find a new XP30 for less than $280 on eBay, and for under $160 I would like to pick up the XP30 for use with my iScan HD to supplement my RP91.

Also remember that for less than the cost of the XP30 you keep recommending over and over and over again, you can get the Momitsu V880, and it has no problems with 4:3 material, and has no problems with PAL material and is region-free, and does scaling that will humble the XP30 (just as the Zenith will).

But for most people looking for improved pic quality with an HD capable display, the Zenith is the answer. It's relatively cheap and does the job, and the vast majority of people these days don't worry about the wrong aspect ratio with 4:3 material, either because their display can handle it (mine can by dropping back to 480 from 1080) or because they don't have much 4:3 material to worry about.

As you know, all these points have been brought up in prior posts, but I think now is a good time to remind you about them. You have to realize that almost anyone this deep into the thread looking for Zenith info, though they might be interested in the Momitsu V880, are not looking for an XP30, unless they're a little crackers like myself and maybe 1 or 2 others here.;)

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Don, what you're saying, as I read it here, is that the XP30 is available cheaper than the Zenith. Where are you finding the XP30 for less than $160? I have not been able to find a new XP30 for less than $280 on eBay, and for under $160 I would like to pick up the XP30 for use with my iScan HD to supplement my RP91.

Also remember that for less than the cost of the XP30 you keep recommending over and over and over again, you can get the Momitsu V880, and it has no problems with 4:3 material, and has no problems with PAL material and is region-free, and does scaling that will humble the XP30 (just as the Zenith will).

But for most people looking for improved pic quality with an HD capable display, the Zenith is the answer. It's relatively cheap and does the job, and the vast majority of people these days don't worry about the wrong aspect ratio with 4:3 material, either because their display can handle it (mine can by dropping back to 480 from 1080) or because they don't have much 4:3 material to worry about.

As you know, all these points have been brought up in prior posts, but I think now is a good time to remind you about them. You have to realize that almost anyone this deep into the thread looking for Zenith info, though they might be interested in the Momitsu V880, are not looking for an XP30, unless they're a little crackers like myself and maybe 1 or 2 others here.;)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Momitsu doesn't have the Faroudja de-interlacer, so its not comparable for me. I didn't say the XP30 was cheaper, though I got one on EBAY for around $200 months ago - I was comparing keeping my XP30 over someone suggesting buying a front projection system plus a Zenith - the former is cheaper for me. Switching the Zenith to 480p for 4:3 titles as a solution is too cumbersome since this can only be done from the front panel (not the remote control) and also the zenith has known color-bleeding problems in 480p mode, so thats not a realistic solution to me.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Momitsu doesn't have the Faroudja de-interlacer, so its not comparable for me. I didn't say the XP30 was cheaper, though I got one on EBAY for around $200 months ago - I was comparing keeping my XP30 over someone suggesting buying a front projection system plus a Zenith - the former is cheaper for me. Switching the Zenith to 480p for 4:3 titles as a solution is too cumbersome since this can only be done from the front panel (not the remote control) and also the zenith has known color-bleeding problems in 480p mode, so thats not a realistic solution to me.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Untrue... With a universal remote, there is a remote code for switching the upconversion setting via remote. Of course you'll need a universal remote with the ability to get new codes, but its still false that the only way to switch upcnoversion settings is by the front panel.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Untrue... With a universal remote, there is a remote code for switching the upconversion setting via remote. Of course you'll need a universal remote with the ability to get new codes, but its still false that the only way to switch upcnoversion settings is by the front panel.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Why would it be cumbersome to switch modes using the front panel? The only reason you would need to switch modes is when you switch a DVD, in which case you already have to be at the front panel--unless there is some way to also switch DVDs out using the remote.:)

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Why would it be cumbersome to switch modes using the front panel? The only reason you would need to switch modes is when you switch a DVD, in which case you already have to be at the front panel--unless there is some way to also switch DVDs out using the remote.:)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I received my DVB 318 today, and I must say I was blown away by the quality of the picture. I also have the RP-82, and this is far superior in 1080i to that player in 480p. I watched portions of SPIDER-MAN(Superbit) and ATTACK OF THE CLONES, and both looked absolutely superb. Besides seeing more detail, I also noticed that scenes that were always problematic for me in AOTC, no matter what player or television I used(ie, the scene in Palpatine's office at the beginning of the film always had a little bit of noise in the reds) looked rock solid with this player. The picture really has an HD look. I'm a very satisfied owner of this player.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I received my DVB 318 today, and I must say I was blown away by the quality of the picture. I also have the RP-82, and this is far superior in 1080i to that player in 480p. I watched portions of SPIDER-MAN(Superbit) and ATTACK OF THE CLONES, and both looked absolutely superb. Besides seeing more detail, I also noticed that scenes that were always problematic for me in AOTC, no matter what player or television I used(ie, the scene in Palpatine's office at the beginning of the film always had a little bit of noise in the reds) looked rock solid with this player. The picture really has an HD look. I'm a very satisfied owner of this player.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
>

Most special features titles are 4:3 while the main movie is widescreen on the same DVD, so I need to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 titles on the same DVD a lot of times. Most (including me) don't have a universal remote with downloadable code capability, mine has to learn a key from an existing remote and the Zenith remote doesn't have that function.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
>

Most special features titles are 4:3 while the main movie is widescreen on the same DVD, so I need to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 titles on the same DVD a lot of times. Most (including me) don't have a universal remote with downloadable code capability, mine has to learn a key from an existing remote and the Zenith remote doesn't have that function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks