What's new

Your expert advice with my Home Theatre plans (1 Viewer)

Dan Czar

Auditioning
Heya,
My Dad wants to get a new Home Theatre system to replace his old, junky system he currently has. It has to sound extremely good, and can't be over $5,000 (I'll contradict this with the current setup I have planned, but oh well). I have come up with a set up that I think will please his tastes for music and movies. I am asking for any professional advice on other options that are cheaper that would be the same or just your thoughts on the setup itself. Thank you.
Here is the picture (kinda big):

Thanks again in advance.

Dan Czar

Auditioning
I wish he would get a new TV, but... it's a Hitachi 35" TV. Normal glass etc... "Ultrascan" or something.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
As far as the speakers go, this is an identical set up I installed for a good friend a few months ago. I was really impressed with the sound reproduction, and the subwoofer does a great job with LFE's! We used a mid grade Yamaha reciever with a Panasonic DVD player.:emoji_thumbsup:

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Since the Klipsch speakers are so sensitive, you may not need all of the power the Denon 4802 has. You may be able to save a few hundred dollars by checking out the soon to be released Denon 3803. Many people seem to prefer Klipsch for movies over music. (I happen to be a big fan of Klipsch)
Also, while Klipsch makes excellent subs...you may want to check out the many other $1000 range subs, like SVS, Paradigm, HSU, or Energy. You may be able to squeek out a few more db's for your money.
Don't forget to budget some money for decent video cables & a good universal remote. I can highly recommend the Home Theater Master series of remotes. Check out www.remotecentral.com
We've often read how the room is as important as the components. You may want to do some research on acoustical treatments and equalization.
I'd love to have the $$ to start over on my set-up! Buying the gear is almost as fun as watching movies!

Dan Czar

Auditioning
Does Klipsch sound good with music? I mean, of course it will sound better than his current 32-watt amplifier (from college) with 2 Cerwin Vega floorstanding speakers. Heh. He wants something that will sound realistic and have good, solid, clear bass that doesn't distort at high levels. Will he get that with this setup?

I may consider lowering to the Denon 3803. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments so far.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I don't believe any of those speakers are from the same series. Though the RC-7/RF-7 may have the same tweeter, to make them a close match.

Dose Klipsch sound 'GOOD' for music? Sure. Is is accurate? Well... that depends. Not really. But neither is a concert. They both use horn tweeters, afterall. Most movie theaters use horn tweeters too. It brings the vocals (and all highs) further foward in the sound stage. It's certainly not the most accurate speaker you can buy. It is what I own, and I love mine.

95% of the power of the 4802 will be wasted on the Klipsch. To play a DVD at reference level, you would barely stress out that old 32w amp.

An SVS sub would surely be a better investment in that department.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would look at the pioneer elite receivers too. klipish has a good following here, i have never heard them personally but from what i have read they seem good. however, I can comment on psb, boston and b&w. they are all top rate speakers. have a listen to them....Im a huge psb fan. and i have them hooked to a pioneer receiver and they sound sweet.....

Dan Czar

Auditioning
How about Definitive Technology? I see some good reviews of them.

The BP10's? BP 1x's? C/L/R 2002? Seem like some nice stuff.

Are they worth it?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I went in to listen to some PSBs, narrow towers and I was less than impressed. I don't really care for Klipsch either, but thats just me. depends on your needs. Personally, I'd go with more accurate, more "musical" speakers, but you sure can't go wrong with klipsch or PSB. I just think there is better out there. But of course, thats just my taste. I happen to like cabbage too. ;)

Dan Czar

Auditioning
What would be more accurate or "musical" speakers...thats what my dad kinda wants. Also stuff for the movies.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion would be to check out Paradigm's system 8.(you may want to change out the ADPs for Monitor 3s if he's going to get into DVD-A or SACD. I feel that you can't go wrong with any of Paradigm's systems...
At the end of the day, you need to book some quality time with your Pa! Tell him to pick his four favorite CDs, gas up the Chevy and spend the day auditioning speakers. Call ahead and make appointments at a couple HIFI stores that carry the brands you are looking at and, chances are, he'll be the one wanting to spend more!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am gonna disagree there with derek. I think ANY paradigm speaker is gonna be quite nice, I have apair of titans, at a dirt cheap 220. I am quite biased towards Paradigm, however, the Monitor 11s would not be ideal. Anything beyond a monitor 7 enters the Reference range prices. $800 gets you a pair of Reference Studio 20s, and put the reference center with that and you're set to go. But no matter, Derek's second point is right on. All that matters in the end is how they sound. I can't tell you what you or your dad will like, so take a day, or a couple days and go listen.

Dan-
I also have a purely Klipsch speaker system, and really enjoy it. As others have said, the sound is very clean, as the speakers are very sensitive. But you want to make SURE that your speakers are timbre-matched as much as possible. For example, my KLF-30 mains match EXTREMELY well with my KLF-C7 center, but not as well with my KSP-S6 surrounds, which are the closest match to my mains. I don't think you would want the SS-1's as surrounds with those mains.
One thing I'll warn you about with Klipsch's, mine are so clean that I can hear each flaw in the original recording or mastering of a CD or movie. I have to be careful that I only buy the high-quality stuff so the experience isn't ruined for me.
For more information, go to the Klipsch forum at www.klipsch.com. You'll get a lot of good info there and there's lots of knowledgable people there who will help you with these Klipsch-specific questions.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I am gonna disagree there with derek. I think ANY paradigm speaker is gonna be quite nice, I have apair of titans, at a dirt cheap 220. I am quite biased towards Paradigm, however, the Monitor 11s would not be ideal. Anything beyond a monitor 7 enters the Reference range prices. $800 gets you a pair of Reference Studio 20s, and put the reference center with that and you're set to go.
Ouch!:wink:

Good point, as long as Pa doesn't have a "bigger has to be better complex!

Stack the 45" inch tall Monitor 11's by the 14.5" Studio 20s, and tell him he can either one for the same price...and see what he says!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks