What's new

XMen Worth a Blind Buy? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
As I've stated before, I was introduced to the series via X Men Evolution, and I've been thinking of checking out the movies, having missed the theatrical runs... Was wondering if it was worth a blind buy....

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
You can't really see the second film without having seen the first. The best bet would be to get the boxed set with both Xmen 5.1 and X2 included - I don't remember how much that retails for though.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
5.1? Ooh. :D

Sean is right. X-Men should be seen before seeing X2, which is a good, but long film. You might as well go for the box set, which is going for $27.99 at Amazon.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I find it interesting that the voice actor for Professor Xavier chose to voice him exactly like Patrick Stewart in the films. So if you liked the cartoon, you should see the films (though personally, I didn't like X2 as much as the first one).

James T

Screenwriter
they're both worth it. I got into X-men from the tv show(the older, not the newer) and I loved both movies. The first one is more of a good story with action in it while the second is an action movie with an above average story.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I liked these movies a lot, they look and sound good from DVD. Before these discs, I hadn't seen anything of X-Men since the 60's...

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
I liked both X-Men movies. We just watched number one last night for about the 5th time.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd recommend both of these. The first has a good story but it feels a little dull (compared with the second) and has some a couple of weak points. For example, the action scenes aren't very well choreographed. I'd say it's an entertaining movie though. On the other hand, I felt the second one blew the first away. The budget was raised a little and the results show for it. It looks a lot fresher and interesting and the sets and action sequences are very well-done. I thought the story was just as good if not better than the first. Overall, it's an enthralling film with ideas and a storyline that sets it apart from the usual summer action flick.

If you liked the X-Men Evolution show, I can't see why you wouldn't like these. I felt the series was good but a little too melodramatic. Just my opinion though.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I love them both. I await #3 and season sets of the animated series from the 90s.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I never was into the X-men until the films (I didn't know the first thing about them). I liked the first one, but not enough to buy it at first. Then I saw X2, and ran out and bought X-Men 1.5 (nominee for dumbest DVD title ever) in anticipation of X2 coming to DVD. I really felt X2 made the first one better as I got to know the characters better.

So yeah, I recommend it :emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Aside from the ridiculous wirework (comparable to Daredevil's...), the first film is pretty damn good. Nowhere near X2, but great nonetheless. Thumbs up from me :D:emoji_thumbsup:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I see this thread originated in the movies section and was moved into the software section by one of the mods. I think that even though the poster wants to know about buying a version of the film on home video, he's ultimately asking about the quality of the movie and putting it in the "movies" forum was the right choice. He's not specifically asking "is the DVD good?"

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Um, why don't you just rent them for like 4 bucks and see if you like them instead of forking over $30 on two movies you haven't seen?

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Neil,

I sent you an e-mail and pm in case you are still looking for x-men. I would sell you my copy of the first films single disc release for the price of a rental.

let me know if your interested

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
1.5 is the first X-men movie in its exact theatrical cut (the 1.5 moniker is a holdover from when it was supposed to be a director's cut. Singer decided to put the money he would have spent on new X-1 scenes into X-2 instead), but with a far more extensive set of bonus features and a dts track. If you're a dts or extras fanatic, 1.5 is well worth the price.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
defineately worth a blind buy. i just watched it last night as a matter of fact. my favorite part of the whole movie is when;

Wolverine just gets done with Mystique and Cyclops and Jean Gray aren't sure if it's him.

Wolverine: It's me.
Cyclops: Prove it.
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Okay.

that cracks me up every time. great movie, some good bass, great PQ and AQ overall. lots of good extras as well. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks