What's new

Xbox360 to Surround Sound - HDMI - Component Converter? Need Help (1 Viewer)

ceemrice

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Rice
Hi, I have a little complicated question, so I hope I am wording it correctly. :confused:
I have a Samsung SmartTV hung up on my wall, with a single HDMI wire running through the wall into a Denon AVR-1913 receiver.
Enter Problem: old Xbox360 without HDMI capability. Is there some kind of HDMI-component cable converter that will work with my surround sound system (at a decent price) ? I’ve seen some for around ~$40 with the 5 slots for YPBPR and Red/White stereo audio cables, but I am not sure if they are capable to produce sound/audio via that setup.
I appreciate the help!
–Chris

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Just to clarify - the signal is going from the XBox (component video) to the reciever (HDMI) so you need a "component to HDMI converter", not the other way around. That's important to note because you can't go the other way. You can't "downconvert" HDMI (digital) to component (analog).

I edited the rest of my response because I was an idiot.

Audio isn't even a factor here - since the component video output from the XBox is just that - video only.

You will need a separate digital audio connection from the XBox to the receiver - either digital coaxial or digital optical/toslink - use whatever is available on both devices, or if each has only one, you can get a converter box that will convert coax to toslink, too.

In your receiver's input setup, you will need to "match" the HDMI input you used for video with whichever audio input you use.

ceemrice

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Rice
Jason,
Thank you for the quick reply. I will search for the converter and optical cable. I'm trying not to 'go for broke' with the converter, since I won't always have the 360 set up there all the time. Any suggestions that pop in your head?
-Chris

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here's a converter from monoprice.com. It includes an optical input as well, so it will combine the component video and digital audio signal into the resulting HDMI output.

Using the optical connection here simply means you won't have to do the input assignment on the receiver. If it works, great, if not, you simply unplug the optical cable from this converter and plug it into the receiver. If you move the XBox around, this might be nice because it will mean you only have to plug in HDMI wherever you go and not have to worry so much about configuration...

Monoprice is a great source for cables, too. Here's a 6 foot toslink.

Amazon has some, too, but I've shopped for other HT-related stuff from monoprice (and I get all my cables/wire from them) and can vouch for their customer service and quality.

Good luck!

ceemrice

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Rice
You are the MAN! I will order this configuration right now. I really appreciate the help!! :cool:

ceemrice

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Rice
Jason,
I just wanted to drop in and give an update. The converter and toslink that you recommended came in yesterday and all works seamlessly.
Thanks again! :cool:
-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks