What's new

X1 Progressive scan....worse picture? (1 Viewer)

Dig this...I got a component to VESA connection for my X1 today so I can watch progressive scan DVDs. After hooking it up, I noticed it is slightly clearer which is to be expected. I also noticed, however, that the black levels were not as good as they were with the component to svideo adapter that came with the X1. After re-tweaking the contrast and brightness levels it got better but still wouldn't go as black as it did with the interlaced picture. Is that Faroudja processing really that good??? For the comparison, I watched the scene in Star wars AOTC where Obi wan hid in the shadows as he listened to Christopher lee plot with all the muppets on world domination. Without the progessive scan the picture looked dark and you could make out obi's robe and surroundings. With the vesa adapter connected and progessive enabled all those details were gone... all you can pretty much make out is his face. What's up with this? Anyone else have similar experiences? I also noticed that you lose control of your color and tint while in progressive mode as well. What's up with that? I just got done singing songs of high praise for the X1 on this board. Infocus may make a jerk out of me yet. Someone kick some feedback please.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Matt,

what are your settings for bright and contrast and such..list everything please.

I have a conmponent cable from my DVD player to my X1
and I'm getting terrific blacks and shadow detail.

Also,
are you using a screen and what type.

Wait a minute! You're the one claiming great blacks and shadow detail. Please give me YOUR settings. My Contrast is at 53,brightness at 45. Color set to "cool". My Red, green , and blue sliders are all set at 50. These are my computer settings for progressive. My "video" settings are a little different. Please share yours. Thanks- Matt

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Matt,

Red=55
Green=48
Blue=34

setting=cool
film mode

Brigh=55
contrast=55

I have watched alot of DVD's, and they have all come off with excellent black and shadow detail

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hi guys,

I am having problems with the way my picture looks with my breakout cable. I don't have a problem with blacks, but my colors seems very pale. Especially when viewing skin tones, people really lack color and sometimes seem almost black and white with a hint of color. When I used S-video, bumping up the color setting helped a lot with that. But, with the breakout cable, the picture is a lot clearer.

Not all colors are pale either. When a full blue screen with whatever print they play before you finally are able to get a movie to play, the blue was very nice. A red screen doesn't seem to stand out as well. I'll try John's color settings to see if it makes any kind of difference.

Am I the only one having this problem, though?

Going to my second HTF Meet today, so I won't have time to play around with settings.

George

P.S. Just curious too, what version X1 do you have? I just updated mine to the 3.8 firmware and my settings changed a little to get the same picture.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I also think the InFocus looks better with a non-progressive image. Obviously the Fardouja processing is better than that in my Pioneer DVD player.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks