What's new

Would you buy a turntable? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would not buy a turntable. I grew up before CDs. As a teenager I had an album collection of 150+ albums that I took the best care of that I could. Seemed that they ended up with scratches anyway. Even the ones with out scratches still had the crackling & popping. Always drove me nuts.
When the CD first came out, I could tell the difference over the radio between a CD and record. I went to the store to buy a CD player and asked the salesman if they were really that scratch proof. He took a CD and dropped it on the floor grinding it under his heal. When he played it there was no damage. I dont know if CD players got cheaper, but you can't do that with todays players. I bought a CD player on the spot and never looked back. I do not miss all the extra noise associated with records.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, I would and I have. I own two at present. I own approximately 3,000 LPs (including 250 LPs of the Beatles). Many of the LPs I own have not made the transfer to CD, and may not make the transfer in my lifetime. But even if they did, I would retain the LPs, since the sonic experience for like recordings (LP and CD) is not necessarily identical. And in many cases I prefer the LP recording over the CD recording. So for my purposes, it is logical to purchase and use a turntable.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Actually my neighborhood (no pun intended! :laugh: ) has a relatively high horse/car ratio. One of my best rifles was manufactured in 1896 :eek: Sometimes old has its place.

But for certain kinds of music - mostly classical - LP has little to offer these days. I would never purchase another turntable. Classical music has a much greater dynamic range than pop music - most pop music is just "loud" all the time - and the timbre vs. dynamic range tradeoff really favors the digital recordings. A large chorus hitting a chord gives you nothing but distorted "buzz" in LP format. The needle just can't handle it. And my last turntable was a middling Thorens (TD165?) with a Shure V15-V on it...not the very best but up near the top of the turntable range. I sold it off along with my 300 LPs back in the early 1990s.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"But for certain kinds of music - mostly classical - LP has little to offer these days. "

There are some great jazz reissues only available on vinyl from APO.

"Classical music has a much greater dynamic range than pop music - most pop music is just "loud" all the time - and the timbre vs. dynamic range tradeoff really favors the digital recordings."

Good pop music also has dynamic range and you can have both range and timbre if you do it right.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I listen to quite a bit of underground punk rock and to this day, several acts release new material on vinyl only, even a local punk band here in omaha, ne that ONLY releases their music as 7 inch singles and they are now on their 5th or 6th one. so for myself a turntable is required. though i am now turtableless since my denon tt took a slip off my audio rack when i was cleaning it and the motor is now shot. but will be getting a new tt soon. i always wanted to get into SACD or DVD-Audio, but to be honest, for myself personaly, there is just nothing out on either of the formats that i have any interest in.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Just bought two! :D Watch out for the Stanton 520SK cartridge, though. Thing buzzes like crazy with any reasonably low tracking force. Popped a 30-year-old Grado on there (new needle) and sounded beautiful — through the digital connexion.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"Popped a 30-year-old Grado on there (new needle) and sounded beautiful — through the digital connexion."

I use a Grado Sonata and I just love it. I had a Grado Black as a starter cheapie cart for a few weeks and that was decent for $40. I'm also a fan of Grado headphones.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FYI -- the big Costco coupon book that came in the mail last week has an online coupon for a turntable (I think it's $30 off a regular $120, or something like that). I forget which one.

Since it's online, you can go to the website and just search on "turntable" to find the deal (and you won't need the physical coupon).

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Ya if you search turntable you only get one result...It's the ION USB turntable...I've actually been considering picking this up, either J&R or Guitar Center has it for $100 as well, no rebate.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just be aware that the Ion table is not the last word in quality sound. A better pure play might be the Rega models which by all accounts are high value for $.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

If you do a pressing of 300-1000 a Punk band could unload them without too much of a problem. I still buy them and my band may even put one out.

I recently had to buy a new turntable because I also have a lot of punk records from the 80's and 90's that will never be on CD. I would like to transfer them to CD as a backup eventually. Even re-issues on CD's often have different mixes that are inferior. There are singles that came with Fanzines that will never be on any other medium.

I am actually finding some that are worth from $70-$750. I only sell the ones I didn't like after I bought them. I listen to them again and see if I like them now and if I don't they go on EBAY.

Matt

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

The Rega's look like they have a pretty unique design, but they're substantially more expensive - from quick searches it looks like they start at $250...I realize a $100 ION table won't produce amazing sound quality, but then again I plan to have it hooked up through my computer's sound system in my bedroom, so there's no real need for a major investment. I should also note that for someone like myself who is into the whole indie music scene, a fair amount of artists put out vinyl-only exlusive releases, and besides having a means to play them, I can also back up easily with the USB.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No problem Matt. Just wanted you to be aware of the sonic issues...it's a decent solution for your needs but if you find yourself really enjoying vinyl then you should look at a nicer table that bring out more detail. :)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

I definately plan to in the future once I get settled down in a permanent place. I recently moved up to NY and find myself in a new apartment every few months so I've been holding back on putting together a new audio system.

While browsing online last night, I came across these 2 portable turntables that looked kind of interesting. I realize at their price they won't be amazing, but I've read some pretty positive reviews. Any comments on the Numark PT01 Portable Turntable or Vestax Handy Trax Portable Turntable? Both are around $100, are pretty compact, and can run either AC power or on batteries. If not, I think I will just be picking up that ION USB TT this weekend.

C

Chris*Liberti

I am actually trying to save fro a nice setup. I am looking at a VPI Scout with a Benz Micro Glider cartridge and a Project Tube Box SE phono stage.

I have always loved the sound of vinyl.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Well I went ahead and picked up the Numark PT-01 this afternoon at J&R store for $75. I am very happy with it thus far, it works great for my first starter turntable. It's small,comes with a top, has a handle,can run on batteries and has a built in speaker that sounds surprisingly decent, very cool design so I can bring it out with me to the park or easily transport from room to room in my apartment. Also has pitch and tone controls, plays 33 1/3, 45 and 78. If after a while I am still really enjoying vinyl I will probably upgrade to a better system once I am settled into a permanent apartment (it's a bit hard to do so always moving around to different apartments in NY).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Would I buy a turntable? Nope!

. . . . but only because I got one a couple of months ago.

Oh, I love it! I got an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 - not a super high end record player, but fair enough for my needs. It sounds good, plays good and lets me rock the house.

I've been looking through the local goodwill, getting my hands on all kind of crazy shit that never made it to CD. And all these albums that look kind of cool, but I never heard of? Buying them for a buck each takes the sting out of the blind buy.

I had the pleasure of finding a sealed, never before touched Village People album. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd be opening a new Village People record in the 21st century.

The sound? I like the pops and snaps (provided that there's not TOO much record damage) - it gives it a warm home-like feeling. But as compared to CD? I'm not hearing any gain (or loss) over the digital format. But it's kind of fun to just sit there and go through the ritual of having to flip it over every half hour. It. . . forces me to actually listen to the music, instead of hitting the MP3 player on shuffle and walking away for 8 hours. It makes the music feel important.

Will I throw away my CDs? Naw - hell, I just picked some up from Amazon just this evening. but I'll always keep my eye to the ground for the Ethel Mermen Disco Album. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks