What's new

Subwoofer with no pre out or sub out (1 Viewer)

AbhiBasu

Auditioning
Real Name
Abhijeet
So! I an pretty new to vinyl and audit systems as a whole. Till now, my life was simple and included all in one speakers and amps. Now, however, I have managed to get myself into a mess.

So, I have a Audio Technica LP120 turntable that connects to a Yamaha RD220 receiver. I have two brand spanking new Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelf speakers connected to the amp. And here is the kicker.

Earlier, I bought only the turntable and since it has an in built pre amp, I connected it straight to my Sony GTK X1BT powered speakers. The sound was fantastic. However, I noticed that when I was playing my turntable, I had to turn up the volume on the speaker to 50 or above!! If I tried doing that when my phone is connected to the speaker via bluetooth, a LOT of glass would be found on the floor in my house and possibly my neighbours. So I bought myself an Amp.

Since the Amp is a basic receiver with no pre out, I had to buy the Wharfedale speakers. Now the issue is that the sound is still a little low as compared to my Sony speakers. Also, and this is where I am stuck, the base is decent and not in the "you can feel it in your tummy" range. I like the feeling in my tummy. So I concluded that I needed a sub woofer.

And now here is the 10 dollar question.

My receiver does not have a pre out or an amp out.
- Can I connect any standalone subwoofer to the amp without blowing something up?
- Do I need to have a subwoofer with high level input or is there some way I can save my money and still enjoy some base?

I do not want to replace my receiver because
- I love listening to the DAB radio when I am not playing my own music.
- I will probably head for a divorce with her taking half of my shit if I even whisper that I need to buy some more things for my turntable.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Oh and just so you know, I haven't a clue on anything technical when it comes to audio. So please, try and dumb it down :)

AB.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Would help if you provided a budget of what you are thinking of doing. You haven't provided what

- Can I connect any standalone subwoofer to the amp without blowing something up?
- Do I need to have a subwoofer with high level input or is there some way I can save my money and still enjoy some base?

- Would suggest a powered sub that has high level inputs with a built in crossover. Then you run your normal speaker wire into the sub, and run your speaker wire from the sub to your speakers. They are designed for this, so you won't be blowing something up.

- You have a volume and cross over control on the sub - so you can adjust where the sub kicks in, and provide power for the lower frequencies.

- Now for your "I like the feeling in my tummy" comment.

- For an audio only system - I looked up that Sony Unit you were comparing too - and it seemed to be more like a boom box than a stereo system ..

Depending on your budget - a suggestion of a 12" or larger sub:

Dayton Audio Sub - $150.00 -- Has the hookup connections you would need...here is a picture of the back of the sub...

On the picture - your L/R speaker wires from your amp would go to #2 - and you would connect #3 via speaker wire to your speakers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 2.57.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 2.57.30 PM.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

AbhiBasu

Auditioning
Real Name
Abhijeet
Thank you for your reply and apologies for not replying earlier. Not being a snob, but work held me back. So, I did a lot more reading after your comment and ended up ordering a Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer! It comes in today and will probably be plugged in by the evening. I will post updates if anyone is interested to tell how the whole thing goes :)

In the mean time, I have ended up upgrading my cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Red (Bronze or Black coming by Christmas) and a few other bits like the turntable mat. The difference in sound is absolutely amazing! Would be happy to share details about the set up at a later date if anyone wants to know!

Again, thank you and will keep you posted on what happens :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks