What's new

Would you buy a turntable? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll buy a cheap used one when I come across one. I have a bunch of LPs and 45s I'd like to listen to again. Nostalgia. But my preferred choice is CDs.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
For me - no.

But my mother went out and got one after my grandmother died and she ended up inheriting about 500 mint condition LPs from the 50-70s that belonged to her and my grandfather. Mostly Motown, R&B and such.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Bored lateley Lee? Ready to starty your bi-annual vinyl debate on HTF?

If my Denon broke I'd replace it because I have a lot of old records. I do not see vinyl as sounding better than CD, it sounds great though.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Nah, no way I'd buy one now. I know there are some decent ones out there for relatively little money, but there's just too much involved IMO to keep the cost low...the table itself, the tone arm, the cartridge, the pre-amp plus the LPs. I just tend to think that it requires a bigger outlay of cash to make things sound really good. Those things plus the fact that the LPs are large in size (although thin), can be pricey and require a lot more storage space than CDs. Oh and LPs get scratched a lot easier than CDs in that they're exposed while they're playing.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I've always had a turntable in my systems. Right now, I have a cheap JVC, and I had to buy a phono pre-amp to use it with my latest receiver. I continue to play my albums and also do needle drops now and then.

What is cool though, is that I just inherited a Thorens TD124. Sadly, my father in law passed away a couple years ago, and he had this turntable which he bought around 1962 or 63. It needs a new tone arm and, hopefully only some lubrication. It could also use a new plinth. I plan on fixing it up soon and then start looking for some vintage tube equipment. I love the looks of those early 70s receivers. I may opt to build the pre-amp and amp via Bottlehead or similar kit.

I guess my answer is I'm still into vinyl.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I plan to get one at some point as my parents have several hundred LPs and a large collection of 78s that need to be archived (so any turntable has to play 78s). I have a small (30 or so) LP collection as I got into CDs back in 1985. I had a Technics turntable for a while (though it's been gone for over 10 years). It clearly was trying to compete with CDs as the tone arm was in the cover and it moved laterally across the LP. It was also equipped with some sort of sensor that would allow me to skip a track (or a few) like a CD.

I have a phono input on my receiver, so if I can find a TT for under 400$ that plays 78s, I'll be happy. I don't consider vinyl to be hi-res, though I do agree it can sound nice. Also, there are many vinyl stores in Montreal, so it would not be a wasted purchase.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"Bored lateley Lee? Ready to starty your bi-annual vinyl debate on HTF?"

Nope. I'm just curious what might cause members to consider a turntable addition.

I got a VPI Scoutmaster in January and I'm really enjoying it. I like being able to get hirez versions of albums I love for $5 a piece. I'm also pleased to see Warner's new reissue campaign.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Anyone know anything about Gemini turntables? Found someone locally selling basically a brand new XL-20 but I can't really find much info about it online.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Looking into buying a Stanton T-80 to replace a Philips from the 70s that died. This is a model with a digital audio output, which I find desirable (analog output is picked off before the ADC stage, of course). A major point is that it plays 78s — there's a lot of good music out there on shellac Standard Play records. Not even the biggest analog freak is going to call that "hi-rez" (OK, so maybe the guy who claimed 8-tracks were better quality than CD), but I love 'em, and they can be had for next to nothing.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have and would do so again. I have a Rega with a very nice stylus that gives my CDs a run for their money. I have a few hundred vinyl albums, many unavaliable on CD, that still get airplay. The warmth of the sound is so soothing and immersive that I never get "ear fatigue" from listening as I do with the majority of CDs.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Did you happen to catch Blake's performance on American Idol last night? He did a little LP sound effect bit at the start of the song.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"I just tend to think that it requires a bigger outlay of cash to make things sound really good."

Actually Ron you can do very well with a Rega P1 for $300 or so street with cartridge included and installed.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just checked out the Stanton and this could be interesting for me as well. My parents have a stack of 78s that need archiving and with the digital output, this would make an ideal archiving tool for any vinyl (though probably not for the person who would drop 50 grand on a three hundred pound turntable like I saw a few weeks ago at an a/v show in Montreal).

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I got this one for Christmas last year. It's a pretty cool all-in-one unit that I got specifically for it's turntable. Basically, I have my home theater in my family room, and then I have this TEAC unit in my living room on the other end of the house. It's also got dual cassette to round out the old-school-ness. Someday I'll pick up a real turntable for my home theater setup.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I won't/wouldn't buy a turntable because I already have an excellent one. What I will do at some stage is have a new motor and power supply installed. I have a large colection of vinyl albums that I still enjoy. For me CD is a poor substitute: OK for the car and a noisy environment but not for really attentive listening.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Hmm, I'll pretend I didn't read that, Lee. The LAST thing I need right now is another piece of gear to compete for my money! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks