What's new

Wonder Woman-what happened? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm resurrecting this thread. I finally bought this set and have just watched "The Deadly Dolphin." I'm wondering if this is NOT a syndicated episode. Most of the time, in syndication, bits and pieces are cut from the entire show...not 2:33 from consecutive scenes and nothing else. Also, while the footage would be nice to see, the story still makes sense without it. So, I'm wondering if the missing footage was added for a re-broadcast or was from an alternate print of some sort (maybe for broadcast in Canada or somewhere else.) It's funny but the next episode following this one is also a short 45 mins. in length. They both ran in Dec. of 1978.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so slightly off topic but what about the earlier pilot starring Cathy Lee Crosby? Any chances that'll ever get a DVD release?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
That would be interesting. Also, the Carter pilot, "The New, Original Wonder Woman" is presented on dvd in a recut version. Originally, the title on screen was that seen above. And if you look closely at the opening credits, you can see Wonder Woman standing in front of two thugs. In the original version of the pilot, you saw her taking them down...it was replaced by her twirling her lasso. And some shots were originally more serious in tone, as opposed to the campy acting in the re-cut version. All of the initial specials were under the title of "The New, Original Wonder Woman" as well. It would be nice if on HD, the series would include the 1967 Dozier short presentation, the Crosby pilot, both versions of the Carter pilot, and the original title sequences for the initial Wonder Woman specials. Season Two could be fixed as well, with all of the "shooting star" bumpers coming out of commercial re-instated. Season Three needs opening credits fixed on many episodes, along with the missing "The Deadly Dolphin" footage. I would also like to see some ABC and CBS promos and maybe some new interviews with Lyle Waggoner and guest stars. Wishful thinking, but definitely something to hope for in the future.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
What do you think the odds are that they will put any fixes into the Complete Series Collection discs? I'm especially concerned with the "Deadly Dolphin" episode which was severely edited. The full-length version appeared on the Columbia House release. Probably no dice, but it might not hurt to let Warner Bros. know.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Warner Bros.' stand on TV series mastering is well-known: If it was good enough for early 90s basic cable, it's good enough for DVD.

Scott, you really need to get in contact with WB and tell them what is missing and what needs to be fixed. Didn't you write a book about "Roots"?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Hmm, I only have season 1, which was set during world war 2, and was the best season.If the retail price of this giftset is around $60 then ill surely buy.Anyone else want to make a guess on the price ?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I dunno, but I saw all three sets at a Sam's Club today for $13.34 ea. Ditto, Kung Fu. I assume this is Warner's way of selling off some unsold inventory before releasing the new gift sets. If these complete sets street for more than $50, I don't think they will be very big sellers... especially if they are identical in content to the current releases.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
For anyone on the fence about the series itself... DON'T BE. It really does hold up well in general. Special effects for space type scenes are either quite shoddy, or directly taken from Space:1999 (How they negotiated the rights on that footage, I'll never know) but luckily.. those type scenes are primarily relegated to "Time Bomb", and "Judgement From Outer Space". There are a few stinkers in the series, such as "Screaming Javelin", "The Pied Piper", and "Formicida". But the gems are MANY, episodes like "Aunschulus 77", "The Girl From Ilandia", "The Man Who Could Move The World", and ALL the two-part episodes are great, especially outstanding are "The Feminum Mystique", and "The Boy Who Knew Her Secret". Lynda Carter's acting greatly improved as the series went along, and in some episodes, such as "The Man Who Could Move The World", there were scenes in that moved me to tears.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I bought all 3 season sets and enjoyed them all. Season 2 was difficult to enjoy the first time I watched it because I had forgotten that Lyle Waggoner's role was reduced from co-star to bit player about 6 episodes in. I enjoyed that season more the second time I watched it because I was knew it was going to happen and was no longer disappointed in his lack of screen time this time around. Lynda and Lyle had great chemistry together, too bad it was utilized in the later seasons. I'm glad that the new set is getting any new content or I would have felt cheated by Warners.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Tony,

S1's the only set that I have also. I'd be interested in the complete set but only at a low sale price. I don't know where my $ line will be drawn, I'll have to wait for the price for this set.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
49.99 would be a great retail price, because automatically online it would cost 39.99 or less.Or maybe amazon during christmas could have a sale on the individual sets.Thats how I got season 1 last christmas only 11.99 !

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The stock footage was laughable. There was one episode where WW was trying to stop a deadly undersea weapon. The weapon was stock footage of the Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I nearly fell out of my seat laughing.

If there is no new content, I would not see buying it just for a slipcase. I think Warner has lost its corporate mind.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't say that. They're not trying to get you to buy it. They're trying to rope in people like me who haven't yet.

It'd have to be cheap for me to get this, particularly since there are episodes that aren't complete (or are modified from the original versions).

This being WB, I'd almost expect it (unfortunately) to sell for about the same price as the combined price of the individuals!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't say that. They're not trying to get you to buy it. They're trying to rope in people like me who haven't yet.

It'd have to be cheap for me to get this, particularly since there are episodes that aren't complete (or are modified from the original versions).

This being WB, I'd almost expect it (unfortunately) to sell for about the same price as the combined price of the individuals!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
My god, you will not believe the retail price for this ,114.99 ! Have they lost their minds !!!!!!!!!! ???????? I got season 1 last christmas for 11.99, and if I look around the net hard enough , ill probably be able to get season 2 and 3 for around that much this christmas as well. PAYING TRIPLE PRICE JUST FOR AN OUTER BOX DOESNT MAKE SENSE !!!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
BJs Warehouse now has seasons 1-3 for $14.99 each.

Somebody got ripped off on their MBA.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I paid about $30 each but I didn't know they would have gone much cheaper or else I would have waited. At least they could have come up with better packaging, I don't care fr the design of the box too much, and more extras for that price, like they did with Greatest American Hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks