1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't DVD recorders have coax digital inputs?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C Brown, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

You know, so you could put like 5 CD's worth of 16/44 music on one DVD? I don't think I've seen one like this. But yet you can get CD recorders with digital inputs so I don't think it's a copyright issue. PC based DVD recorders can do this, right?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

PC based digital recorders can do virtually anything. It's not really valid to compare the two.

DVD stand-alone units should have digital inputs IMO. I've never looked to see if they do or not.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Phillips DVD recorder but the Panasonic DMR E-30 has only analog inputs.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Well-Known Member

You must remember, most consumer model standalone CD recorders can only use music CD-Rs for digital copying, ensuring a royalty payment. The payment is included in the cost of these music CD-Rs; thus their higher cost.

There are no DVD-R blanks that have a royalty structure built in; hence the lack of digital ins (they don't want us to have bit-perfect copies royalty free)

5. Kevin C Brown

Jeff- Makes sense! Thanks.

Oooooh: I have a pro CD recorder: takes computer blanks. I wonder if there are "pro" DVD burners yet. Hmmm... [​IMG]

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Well-Known Member

redbook CD audio is 16/44, whereas LPCM on dvd is 16/48. It would require resampling either way.

7. Kevin C Brown

I didn't know that. I wouldn't think a big deal though, because MD and DAT decks have sample rate converters that, if good quality, don't compromise the digital signal that much...

8. Grant B

Grant B Well-Known Member

Hey Kevin
    Did you buy one yet?
    I have a DVD burner on my computer but have not got anything to turn out decent and the blanks are too $$$ to mess up
    Grant

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

10. Kevin C Brown

Grant- Not yet, and here's why: [​IMG]

Took me until Christmas 2001 to get a PC CD burner. I paid $99 for a 4x4x6 (or something) Iomega external unit. But then I went to town with EAC, CDRWIN, and a new ATAPI layer. Love it.

But since I got that bugger so recently, I need to wait a little while until I get some more use out of it to justify getting a DVD burner! Plus I still need to learn about the formats, and right: once DVD-blanks get cheap enough you can just throw them away like CD-R's if you burn a coaster, it will be a lot more enticing...