What's new

Why does my computer turn on and off by itself? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just got a new computer that has Vista Basic as the O/S. All day long, it turns itself on and off and random intervals. I have tried to mess with the Sleep mode and the hibernation settings, but that doesn't seem to help. It is very strange. Sometimes, all I need to do is hit a key and it turns on. Sometimes, I need to push the power button and then enter my password.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what is going on, but have you registered it and gotten all of the updates? Some of them really do fix problems. After that I'd call the store up.

Glenn

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It sounds like it's not really turning itself on and off. It's going into and out of hibernation/sleep on its own. Big difference.

Actually shut it down (not sleep or hibernate) and see if it comes on by itself. I'm guessing it won't. If it doesn't, it's definately a sleep/hibernation issue.

Once it's in sleep or in hibernation, if you've got it on a local area network, perhaps LAN activity is causing it to wake up at seemingly random times. To see if Wake On LAN is turned on:

go to START and RIGHT click on Network and choose PROPERTIES
Click on Manage Network Connections
RIGHT click on Local Area Connection and choose PROPERTIES
Click on Configure
Click on the Power Management Tab
You should see a Wake On LAN section
Make sure all the boxes are UNCHECKED
Click OK

Good Luck.

gamergirl82

Auditioning
Real Name
angela
Hey my computer is doing the same thing but i have windows 7 and those instructions dont work for me so i tried to do that my self but i only connect to a wireless router so idk. also it first started doing it only when i played video games now it just does it randomly

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
gamergirl82 said:
Hey my computer is doing the same thing but i have windows 7 and those instructions dont work for me so i tried to do that my self but i only connect to a wireless router so idk. also it first started doing it only when i played video games now it just does it randomly
Could be heat. If you haven't de-dusted your computer lately, it may be overheating when it is being pushed hard, like when you play video games. With a toothbrush, clean the dust off the little fan on the chip, and if it is a desktop computer, off the big fans too. Then blow the dust away with compressed air.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
This probably isn't it, but I have two PCs in my home office. My main one would occasionally reboot on its own - if I was working on it or not. Turned out to be minor power fluctuations and that PC couldn't handle it, while the other one did. I wound up picking up a UPS and that solved the problem (and protects my PC from damage from our crappy power service!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks