What's new

WHV Announces, THE TARZAN COLLECTION - Volume #2 -- October 31st (1 Viewer)

GeoffStAndrews

Auditioning
Yes, this collection was slated for 2007, with the Lex Barker collection coming out later. This is the good news. Unfortunately, Warner Bros. has decided to release this collection without any extras, which I take to mean... no trailers. The reason given was the lower selling price, but I suspect logistics had more to do with it. I just hope the quality of the prints are superior to those that have appeared on cable TV.

As for the production values of the RKO films, Sol Lesser spent his money more carefully than MGM, and while they may not have been top notch in quality, these films were received by the public world wide just as much as if they had been released by MGM. And one must not forget the terrific background music provided by the underrated composer, Paul Sawtell, which added to the excitement.

I was a kid during the RKO years, and for that reason alone, these films are special. Nostalgia will win every time.

JohnPM

Second Unit
Trailers for these RKO Tarzans will be hard to come by, since they weren't included in the original C&C syndicated groups of RKO features, and the Tarzan package that was sold to stations in the 60's and 70's did not come with trailers. Unless Warners locates old 35mm trailers for these titles (provided most likely by collectors), then I doubt we'll get many of them on the DVD's.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure if anyone's interested in this but Alpha just released TARZAN AND THE GOLDEN LION from 1927. James Pierce plays Tarzan with Boris Karloff in a supporting role. I heard the only print of this was from Germany and featured German title cards only so I'm not sure if that's the case with this print or not. I ordered it anyway.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

It's got English titles. The print isn't the greatest, looking like a third gen VHS copy, but considering the price and rarity it will have to do.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
On the TCM website, they put out a call for any RKO trailers held by fans, collectors, etc. The studio apparently has few of them in their vaults.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
In case people haven't got their sets yet of volume 2, it is a fold-out cardboard release as opposed to thinpacks.

I guess Warners will release in 2007 the 5 Lex Barker films, followed by the 6 mentioned above in a 4th and final set?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

missed this post when it first appeared - but this GREAT news!

I wouldn't mind if Warner leap frogged and released these before any others, as they seem to be, from what I gather, the two most respected Tarzan films (after the MGM entries). Having seen them on AMC a few years back I can attest they still hold up very well.
Hell, since these are scope and color, I would love to see them show up on HD DVD where they could really shine.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

were they 2.35 widescreen or 1.85? Now that I think of it, its probably been almost 10 years since I saw them and going by faulty memory they seemed to be really wide, that may have just been due to watching them on a relativley small set.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Paul, "Lost Safari", "Greatest Adventure" and "Magnificent" were 'British' productions so they were probably framed at 1.66 or 1.75. "Fight For Life" was shot in the US at MGM and is probably 1.85. I believe "Trappers" was intended for TV and is probably 1.33. Not sure about "Hidden Jungle".

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I may well be wrong, but I believe TARZAN & THE LOST SAFARI (1957) was an anamorphic 'Scope production, 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the first Tarzan film shot in that format, and the first shot in color. There were no further Tarzan films shot quite that wide until the post-Gordon Scott film, TARZAN GOES TO INDIA (1962), and the subsequent 1960s films in the series.

I have recordings of TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1959) and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960), and they don't look like they're cropped from anamorphic dimensions; I'd wager they're more in the 1.66:1-1.85:1 range.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I knew this would crop up eventually. I have seen poster artwork somewhere that states CinemaScope, but looking at the transfer itself it shows every indication of being a flat film and not pan and scan.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It has been a lot of fun going through this set this week. Although I never really cared for Brenda Joyce as Jane, the films are highly entertaining otherwise and have some good guest stars (Barton MacLane, George Zucco, Dennis Hoey, etc.). Watching Weismuller grow into his "Jungle Jim" bulk over the course of the series provides unintended comic relief.

Being RKO productions, the prints are not pristine although they look very good for the most part and certainly are better than those 16mm prints that aired on local TV back in the day. Only DESERT MYSTERY looks weak to my eyes. It looks like some sections used dupey footage.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing WHV continue with Vol 3 (Lex Barker years).

Thank you Warners.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks