What's new

Who are your Favorite Character Actors? (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
RicKer, those of us out there, like you and me, who watch Star Trek and other sci-fi series know there's a wealth of great character actors out there we can't name. Like when you hear an actors name and go, who? Then when you see them you go, oh yeah, I know him. Happens to the best of us.....I've been told;)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
David Strathairn
Danny Trejo
Patricia Clarkson (had a crush on her since Untouchables)
Terry O'Quinn (He'll always be Howard Hughes to me)
Alfre Woodward
Ving Rhames

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I checked her credits. I really haven't seen many of the films she's been in. Good Night and Good Luck probably being the last.

Her voice is kinda smoky, a bit like the actress Patricia Neal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's too bad Rich. Clarkson is not anly a fine actress, but she's in a lot of good movies. Check out Far from Heaven (which also has Celia Weston, another of my picks) The Station Agent and Pieces of April for starters.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Why the term "character actor" anyway? Don't all actors play characters?

It's like saying "book novelist" or "food chef".

troy evans

Screenwriter
I always thought character actors were those actors who always seem to be cast in a certain type of role. Kinda like type casting, but not quite. Even though they have a chameleon-like ability to play any type of character well.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
To me, a character actor is an actor who shows up in a number of films and tends to work pretty regularly, but whose name is not particularly well-known to the public. What A Character!

Some of my favorite character actors include S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, Sig Ruman, Dennis Burkley, Regis Toomey, Jude Ciccolella, John Qualen, Paul Guilfoyle, Stephen Root, Nick Searcy, and Louis Jean Heydt.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

It's a term meant to distinguish actors who are more known for the type of role they usually play, from leading men/ladies. Some actors [Bruce Willis is a good example] fit neatly into both roles. Character actors are often now well-known outside of their dedicated fan base.

John

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
When I saw Pickup, I could hardly believe this was the same woman that was in Rear Window. Her portrayal was vivid and devastating.

A few more not mentioned so far, but well known:

Thomas Mitchell (our best friend)
Campbell Scott (Patricia Clarkson and him are indie superstars)
Miranda Richardson (outacts many of her famous co-stars, e.g., Kidman in The Hours)
Donald Meek (too lovable)
James Rebhorn (a great slimeball)
William Sadler (everyday kind of guy, but see him twist that image in Kinsey)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
How about Will Ferrell? He plays basically the same character in every movie, but still makes me laugh every time.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

John,

Thanks for that. I have not seen any of those three films.

One character actor I'd like to mention is Leo McKern. He played a variety of roles but is perhaps best known for playing off-beat bad guys.

My guess is he is best known as playing Number 2 on the ground-breaking and influential series The Prisoner or the head of a religious sect in The Beatles romp Help! McKern had a glass eye which (somehow) allowed him to look a touch menacing in dramatic roles and a bit goofy in comedic roles. He also had a great voice and did a lot of work in commercials and a lot of British TV.

My favorite role of his was one of his earliest, in the lower budget film, TIME WITHOUT PITY. The role was both over-the-top and scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks