1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

I felt privileged this evening to attend the premiere of Fox's restoration of Oklahoma!, as supervised by Fox's Schawn Belston, at the Chinese, as the opening program of the TCM Festival.I've been aware that Oklahoma! was a huge archival challenge since I viewed a new 70mm print c. 1982. It wasn't pretty.Using every digital tool available to him, Mr. Belston has brought the film back from the brink of large format extinction.This evening's 4k high bit rate exhibition was an extraordinary treat for the eyes and ears.I know of what I speak, and Fox's determination to achieve a restoration that could take viewers back to 1955, has been met -- in spades.Once down-rezzed, as a major part of the R & H Collection...I'll cut to the chase. Oklahoma! alone will be worth the price of admission to the forthcoming Blu-ray set.Everything about this restoration is as spot on as humanly and technologically possible.In a word. Magnificent!My archival hat is off to Mr. Belston and his crew.RAH

benbess, Reed Grele, CMNash and 16 others like this.
  2. cwilli

cwilli Well-Known Member

Cheryl Williams
    I wish that I could have been at the Chinese Theater this evening, along with Robert Harris, to see the new restoration. But I'm sure I'll be happy with the next best thing, the blu-ray version.

MatthewA and Everett Stallings like this.
  3. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Well-Known Member

Anthony
    Thanks so much for the benefit of your expertise, Robert.
    This is a release I've waited so so long for .. just as I waited so patiently for My Fair Lady.
    At least this time we're being given what its makers deserved.

4. Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky Well-Known Member

How was it framed on the IMAX screen? Did they use masking? How large was the image? Wish I could've been there!

5. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic - they're showing a 2K digital copy of AMOLAD tonight (UK tonight - Friday 11th) with Thelma Schoonmaker introducing.

Are you going, and if so can you ask, nag, bribe, takes hostages until, etc, etc, about news on a Blu-ray Disc release?

Many thanks.

Steve W

Mark Walker likes this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The anticipation to see what Blu-ray will give us with this classic is really exciting.

Mark Walker likes this.
  7. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thank you, Robert! I'm VERY glad I preordered the set when it was priced at $80!Mark

Everett Stallings likes this.
  8. JoshZ

JoshZ Well-Known Member

RAH, out of curiosity, which version of the movie was played, the 35mm or 70mm? Have both been restored?

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Todd-AO. 30 fps.

And to further answer a query above, properly masked at 2.21:1 using the entire (huge) width of the Chinese screen.

RAH

10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Pardon me, I just drooled.

Mark Booth, ahollis and Will Krupp like this.
  11. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Well-Known Member

Nick
    How are they going to address the 30fps issue on Blu-ray? Remove six frames per second or interlace at 1080i60?

12. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

I believe that Fox had already restored the scope version of Oklahoma. We had had this version years ago on laserdisc with pale runny color and stereo sound with no high end.

The last dvd was a major improvement with nice, bright sound and sharp, lush color.

13. revgen

revgen Well-Known Member

Dan
    Some Blu-Ray authoring programs use "fake-interlacing" to get around it. Video is rendered at 1080p 30fps. But the "fake interlaced" flags in the stream tell the blu-ray player that the video is interlaced.

http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p

14. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    So, that would be about 90 by 40 ft.

15. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Well-Known Member

Nick
    Ah, I've heard about this yes. Very clever.

16. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Well-Known Member

Jim
    Wow....wish I could have been at that screening. Thanks for the report Mr. Harris. Does anyone have any info about further screenings around the country..... I know this was mentioned in a number of the first press releases about this new 4k restoration.

17. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to "Oklahoma!".Thanks for the "thumbs up" on the restoration!!

18. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    No doubt the occasion brought back many happy, yet sad memories to our Shirley.
    Sad that other major cast members are no longer with us.
    oklahoma! screening.jpg
    ( Shirley at the screening along with Merrie Spaeth)

Doug.

KPmusmag and classicmovieguy like this.
  19. Techman707

Techman707 Well-Known Member

I still remember seeing "Oklahoma" at the Rivoli when it first opened. It was the first time they used a new lowered projection booth to overcome some Todd/AO projection problems. They seemed to alternate using both booths for testing even after the film's opening. That said, if either "Oklahoma" or "The King and I" come even close to the spectacular look that "Oklahoma" had on the Rivoli's slightly curved screen and what appeared to me (a young "apprentice" at the time and still learning) as a "low grain print" and razor sharp even close up, I'll be thrilled to no end.

On top of that, they (Amazon) reduced the pre-order box set to $73.95 (apparently I must have hit the right day), so I would have to be punch drunk to consider cancelling this pre-order, despite owning the other films already, as some others have mentioned. I've only been waiting most of my life for "The King and I". While I already had a Technicolor print of "Oklahoma", I never had "The King and I" on film. Since on my equipment (JVC RS35 projector and ISCO anamorphic lens) Blu-rays look just about the same as a 35mm print on my 12 ft wide scope screen, only with BETTER SOUND than the theatre's ever had. I'm thrilled that these two films have FINALLY arrived (while there are STILL people alive that remember and can still appreciate them. :) :D ;)

20. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    Bambi Linn (Dream Laurey) is still with us, and Gemze de Lappe (one of the dancers) is too. Ms de Lappe has spent the bulk of her career as the 'keeper of the flame' of the "Oklahoma!" choreography, recreating it for revivals.

Dick and lukejosephchung like this.