What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
FoxyMulder said:
I remember Windows 98, it had me in tears many times.
Really? I think Windows 98 was the only decent version of Windows ever produced. It was the first version of Windows to have a relatively intuitive UI and had a relatively good graphic design. And the OS was relatively stable - didn't get too many "blue screens of death". It's more recent versions of Windows (and Office) that drive me nuts and want to make me act like the guy in that classic viral video who beats the crap out of his computer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by zoetmb /t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray/690#post_4016081
Really? I think Windows 98 was the only decent version of Windows ever produced. It was the first version of Windows to have a relatively intuitive UI and had a relatively good graphic design. And the OS was relatively stable - didn't get too many "blue screens of death". It's more recent versions of Windows (and Office) that drive me nuts and want to make me act like the guy in that classic viral video who beats the crap out of his computer.

It was always freezing up and needing a hard reboot, no problems with XP especially after service pack 2 and none with Windows 7.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Don't know how much better this could look,its not great looking,but not sure what the reason is ,at times it looks great,and the sound is fine,Amazing this won best Art Direction over Heavens Gate
you wonder what they were smoking

Gem1836

Auditioning
Real Name
Reuben Davis
I saw the IMAX version of RAIDERS on one of the larger IMAX screens in New Rochelle, NY. It was disappointing in that there were focus issues, perhaps projection related, but it was a letdown.
If we get to a point where Blu-Ray is preferable to seeing a film in a theater, just shoot me.
Still waiting to see Spartacus restored the way Lawrence of Arabia was restored and seen in theaters last month.
I would gladly settle for the 1991 "RESTORATION" in a theater. Thank you again Mr. Harris.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have it from a source that Raiders of Blu is from a new 4K scan that had never been released before. There was a previous scan that was used for a previous HD broadcast. Can Robert or someone else confirm? Thank you.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
A few posts back somebody stated that copyright in books stays, except in rare cases, with the publisher. Not correct. Whoever writes, they have the copyright. This is automatically granted, and is good for about 75 years. Renewable by the original author or his/her heirs under certain conditions. Only in studio filmwork is the copyright retained by the production entity. All other creators have copyright in their own works, unless they sell it or assign it.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I have it from a source that Raiders of Blu is from a new 4K scan that had never been released before. There was a previous scan that was used for a previous HD broadcast. Can Robert or someone else confirm? Thank you.

I know I've been reading in various places since 2012 that it was a 4K restoration. Are you talking about something newer that that?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I know I've been reading in various places since 2012 that it was a 4K restoration. Are you talking about something newer that that?

In the Star Wars thread, this topic came up.

I had been told the 2012/Blu-ray/IMAX release stemmed from a brand new 4K scan or restoration (to use that word loosely).

There was a 4K Japan HD broadcast scan prior to this as I understand it, but they are different.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That's a bingo.

I was told they were as Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade were scanned at 4K (before 2012) along with Raiders for the Japan HD broadcasts. They only decided to revisit Raiders again.

If we go back further, the original DVDs and very first broadcasts stemmed from 2K scans back around 2003 as I understand it.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Raiders was scanned in 4K by Laser Pacific in 2011 for the 30th anniversary and a full restoration was done. This was shown in select theaters and also on Japanese HDTV and is similar to the theatrical version in terms of color. It was also used in early trailers for the blu-ray set. This is a completely different version than the HDTV version shown in the rest of the world, which was sourced from the Lowrey restoration from 2003. The blu-ray was released in September 2012 with different, modernized orange/teal color done by Technicolor (who had acquired Laser Pacific). The question is if a brand new 4K scan and full restoration was done less than a year later for the blu-ray or if they tweaked the existing 30th anniversary restoration.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Spielberg approved the current transfer so if its a reworking then its only because he wanted it done.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Spielberg approved the current transfer so if its a reworking then its only because he wanted it done.
Absolutely. But they should have included the theatrical version as well, with the original sound mix and none of the digital changes. Fortunately the 30th anniversary version is out there if you know where to look.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Here's are some comparisons to illustrate the sometimes extreme changes made to the blu-ray. A good reference to the theatrical can be found in the 1981 PBS making of special. It was finished on 16mm and uses clips from a 1981 timed print. It has lower res and dynamic range, but is pretty accurate to the 35mm. The blu is pushed brighter and shifted way towards orange and teal, Contrast is reduced giving it a flat look in places.

1981 Making Of
Kab9uyl.png

35mm
0bM2uRg.png

Blu-ray
xWEClkm.png

1981 Making Of
5rd4mzY.png

35mm
OFA1mgh.png

Blu-ray
bI79UqY.png

Last edited:

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I'm not normally sensitive to color issues like a lot of people on here, but I've only watched the Raiders Blu-ray once and found it profoundly unpleasant. I could tell right away it didn't look anything like the movie I grew up with. Those screen grab comparisons prove how hideous it is.

Does anyone know if the version streaming on Vudu has the same color as the BD, or if it is closer to the theatrical colors?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought the Blu looked excellent (and still do), but it's hard not to deny based on the caps that Dave provided that it varies from its original look. Dave, you're making me a believer now. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What's the story with Temple of Doom? Is the Blu considered pretty close to the original look?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks