What's new

Where to buy Acoustic Pane? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I was wondering if you guys know where I can get some decent Acoustic Panel for cheap?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To stop reflections? A quick Google search came up with this first http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/fiberglass-acoustical-panels

You can also build them yourself - http://www.youtube.com/user/DIYSoundPanels#p/u

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thanks, Robert. I actually stumble on that site already too. For my set up this site would cause too much. Wanted to see if there was any other site that is cheaper.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Acoustic panels can get very expensive (high mark up). Best bet is to try and see if you can locate someone local that will sell you 1" thick rigid fiberglass and make your own. There are also some places where you can get acoustic cotton, which is easier to work with. In addition, you need to think about fabric to cover the panels. The fabric needs to allow airflow. There is acoustic fabric that can be had that is also fire retardent (a safety concern).

I covered my entire front wall and ear level down on the sides and back wall. Here is an example of what I did. I got lucky and was able to use a track system. Other save money by using wood furring strips. You don't have to mount to the wall this way. You could just build panels to hang in crucial spots.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thanks, Smith! What kind and where did you get your fabric? And how do you install them on the panel? Did you just have to nail it down or staple it ? Sorry for all these stupid questions.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guilford of Maine (aka GOM) fabric is very popular. http://www.fabricmate.com/fabric.php has other suppliers as well.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
As Robert stated GOM is probably the most well known for the fabric.

As for the panels, some will be a lightweight frame and staple the fabric across and around the frame. Others will wrap the fiberglass panel in fabric and use a spray adhesive on the back side. Either case is usually light enough to hang in first points of reflection. The more elaborate is to use a track system that you mount to the wall where you can push the fabric into grooves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks