What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Where is "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere"???!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
says Gary Newman - President of 20th Century Fox TV

"Now we have a new model that allows us to put high-quality programming on the air in a new way."
This is a quote from the above named gentleman in the 4/19/2004 issue of Time magazine. Once again IMHO "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere" qualify as "high-quality programming". Certainly more than some programs that Fox is putting out on DVD. If "Family Guy" merits consideration for a DVD release, then "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere" also deserve consideration despite the mentioned connection to the sales of "NYPD Blue".

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Add me to the list of people who would definitely purchase season sets of Hill Street Blues but has no interest in buying NYPD Blue. I loved the former show, but can take or leave the latter.

Maybe NYPD blue airing so much in syndication has hurt it's DVD Sales I know I would've bought a few more years.
While this had no affect of me not purchasing NYPD Blue, it has kept me from purchasing other season sets, such as Cheers. Therefore, I could see this being a reason that NYPD Blue has not sold that well.

Amano Ai

Agent
Hill Street Blues was a favorite of mine as well, never watched the NYPD show. Wished HSB would be coming out soon, guess I'll have to keep waiting like the rest of the fans! :frowning:

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If you stop and think about it, if "St. Elsewhere" is all a dream, then so too by extension is "Cheers" and "Frasier" since there was a crossover episode with "Cheers" at one point. ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
St. Elsewhere was a world that existed in the mind of an autistic child. I'm not sure if it is a "daydream".

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Point taken. I simply used the word "daydream" because I'd heard that word used numerous times over the years to describe the final episode (i.e. "autistic child's daydream").

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Seems to me that these shows could be fairly successful on DVD, as they haven't been done to death in syndication repeats -- therefore, they haven't been overexposed (as has NYPD Blue, MTM and a few others). I recall that PBS ran St. Elsewhere reruns about 10 years ago, but I don't know if it's been on anywhere else since. I have a faint memory of HSB showing up in the early days of TV Land but don't remember seeing it in years.

Anyway, two exceptional, groundbreaking dramas. I'd be anxious to see them again if for not other reason than to see how well they hold up.

Daniel W

Agent

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Please, give me Hill, Renko and the co on DVD. Please, please, please!

I'm with most of you guys, don't really care for NYPD Blue that much.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That's a fun article, and the crossover site it links to is even more fun. Here's a great quote:
I actually like the idea that the kid dreamed ALL the shows connected to St. Elsewhere. In that case if you check all the pertinent crossovers you'll discover that the show Newhart was the dream of Bob Newhart's character from the Bob Newhart show who was in turn only a character in an autistic kid's head. Don't think about that too long or your head will explode.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another who'd get St. Elsewhere in a hearbeat.
quote:
If you stop and think about it, if "St. Elsewhere" is all a dream, then so too by extension is "Cheers" and "Frasier" since there was a crossover episode with "Cheers" at one point.unquote
Speaking of which, check out this link for a pretty entertaining extension of that theory:
"St Elsewhere" also does not exist as a DVD release unfortunately & to my continuing massive frustration. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Robin W.

Grip
I would buy St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues! I love the shows from the eighties (and seventies) and here in Holland they have Twin Peaks 1 (ok, that's the nineties), Starsky and hutch 1 and Little House on the Prairie 1. I don't have Little House yet, but I am glad they start putting those old series on DVD.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Another vote to get St. Elsewhere and Hill Street on DVD.

IMHO : Two of the 10 greatest shows ever on television.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Arent they both MTM shows? The studio cant even release all of Mary Tyler Moore but I sure would like these, especially St. Elsewhere, finer than ER ever was.
St. Elsewhere was a world that existed in the mind of an autistic child. I'm not sure if it is a "daydream".
You gave away the ending of the whole show????? :thumbsdown:

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I would definitely buy St. Elsewhere on DVD. I agree with Mikel, it was a better show than ER, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks