What's new

What's the latest on Blade Runner? (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hm... it seems more likely that they would put the original theatrical release and the "new version" on the new SE DVD, and keep the current "Director's Cut" DVD available as well -- effectively giving us two DVD pacakges to buy.
------------------
SAM

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think they should do whatever Mr. Scott wants, and to hell with the other versions :)
Jeff Kleist

DannyS

Second Unit
Yup, In the end It's Ridleys call. And I'll be happy with just his final word on the entire rain soaked film noir.
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Charlie,
Just wanted to say that you're doing a great job with the DVDs you've produced. We actually met and talked at Dave Tolsky's house (about interesting tidbits re: Hannibal that were pulled due to legal reasons) and I must say that you impressed me as not just a great DVD producer, but a lover of films and the art of filmmaking. Thank goodness that people like you are on the job!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I suspect the current director's cut (the so-called directors cut) will quietly go out of print and never come back.

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
4 Disc set
Disc 1: Original Theatrical release, 16:9, Dolby EX, DTS ES
Yes, but which version...American Theatrical release, or the International (and more violent) Theatrical version? :)
Personally, I'm hoping for a three disc set like Brazil--Director's Final Version, Supplemental, and International Version. The International version could have commentary by Producer Michael Deeley and Editor Terry Rawlings, while Ridley Scott can his commentary track on the Final Version.
And I really, really hope it is Final.
biggrin.gif

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, be the self serving bastard I am, I hope that we get as many cuts on here as we can, including the happy ending and VO versions, along with Ridley's ultimate cut, and hey might as well throw on the workprint too.
This film easily deserves the best treatment, and could nicely out do the Brazil box if I had any say in the matter.
I do hope Charlie is able to convince Warner to package this in a nice double thick alpha or two (which I'm hoping we're getting for Legend too, right?), so I can display my Ridley Scott collection nicely.
Make 'em rock!
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm..coming from Warner, this will probably be a DVD18, unless Ridley has enough clout to tell them to stick their snapper cases somewhere very unpleasant. I am anxiouly awaiting this release...hopefully it will be worth the wait.
------------------

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Whatever the final cut of the film is, I really don't care if any variant cuts are included. The workprint, semi-director's cut and theatrical release can all be dumped in a lake for all I care, as I'd probably never watch any of them again. The proper director's cut with reinstated violence, however, and a commentary track + extras, would be a priority purchase for me.
I'd hate to see Warner Bros wasting time tracking down and including variant cuts of a movie they are restoring to definitive form when they could be doing something more useful with their time and money, like remastering THE WILD BUNCH or bringing out PERFORMANCE or THE DEVILS as Special Edition releases.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
It took me awhile to cotton to the Harrison Ford narrative dub on the original American theatrical release, but now I'm addicted to it. I realize the sachrine ending rings false for many... and it is kinda fake, but what can I say. After having watched that version an untold number of times, I feel as though any DVD must include the original release as well.
------------------
SAM

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
It's great to see Charlie's comments here. Facts not rumours for a change! :)
It took me awhile to cotton to the Harrison Ford narrative dub on the original American theatrical release, but now I'm addicted to it. I realize the sachrine ending rings false for many... and it is kinda fake, but what can I say. After having watched that version an untold number of times, I feel as though any DVD must include the original release as well.
I must say that even as a kid watching Blade Runner for the first time I disliked the narrative and the sugar-coated ending. The DC was a revelation for me. But yes, I would love to have that version included on the SE version along with the others.
And yes, I would definitely pay the bux for the ultra SE, like I did for the Brazil one.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I just hope the narration is in this version, as an option. The original theatrical version is the one I grew up with and I haven't even seen Bladerunner since I had the Criterion Laserdisc many years ago.
Jeff

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
About the voice-over narration...
I'd venture to say that the issue of the VO is second only to the deckard-is-a-replicant-or-not issue as the most heated and often discussed issue.
Like many, I grew up with the VO narration and I have to admit that I have a soft-spot in my heart for it. I find it extremely ironic that the intentional low-key feeling that Harrison Ford put into the narration, as he was opposed to it, backfired and made it feel more like a 40's-50's noir movie. I particularly LOVE the last bit of narration, right after Spoiler:Roy dies.
However I have to say that the movie without the VO is MUCH more powerful. So like many, I hope they get a chance to include both options somehow (with and without the VO).
I reconsidered my idea of putting more than one version of the movie in one disc via seamless branching. I would rather have them in separate disc so as not to compromise the quality of the transfer.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

Paul W

Second Unit
Frank,
The issue of whether-or-not-Deckard-is-a-replicant is no longer an issue.
Ridley Scott came out and said:
Spoiler:He is
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If I could even have the same DC version we already have I'd be happy with improved picture and SOUND!
The sound is harsh, thin, and bass-less. It really needs some restoration. That Vangelis score is sublime and should really overwhelm you.
-dave

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
The issue of whether-or-not-Deckard-is-a-replicant is no longer an issue.
The funny thing is that Ridley's statement wasn't exactly news. Paul M. Sammon's excellent 1996 book Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner contains an interview with Scott in which he addresses whether he is a replicant or not and why. The issue is also covered in detail through the narrative retelling the film's production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks