What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (7 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Gilligans Island Complete series from Walmart $29.95- to get single sided discs .

Good buy on that! I'm not the fan of Gilligan's Island, but even I thought that the full-series release on singles was far better done than all the double releases.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Good buy on that! I'm not the fan of Gilligan's Island, but even I thought that the full-series release on singles was far better done than all the double releases.
I was surprised when I saw how cheap it was , so even though I had the double sided "flipper " discs I had to get this . I think that the single sided discs are so much more reliable . Gilligan isn't my all time favorite show , but I occasionally enjoy the slapstick between Bob Denver and Alan Hale . The rest of the cast isn't bad either. I guess you could say that the show isn't among the greatest sitcoms of all time like Lucy , and The Honeymooners , but I think it has been unfairly trashed by critics and some TV fans .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was surprised when I saw how cheap it was , so even though I had the double sided "flipper " discs I had to get this . I think that the single sided discs are so much more reliable . Gilligan isn't my all time favorite show , but I occasionally enjoy the slapstick between Bob Denver and Alan Hale . The rest of the cast isn't bad either. I guess you could say that the show isn't among the greatest sitcoms of all time like Lucy , and The Honeymooners , but I think it has been unfairly trashed by critics and some TV fans .
Agreed on all counts, but the entire S.S. Minnow flying apart because of the temporary permanent glue being applied to a few boards was pretty far fetched! ;)

For DVD, the visual quality is quite good in my opinion! Of course, it probably helps that Warner didn't try cramming too many episodes in these GILLIGAN'S ISLAND Season sets. In fact, the Season 1 Black & White episodes never exceed 7 per DVD, and the Season 2 and 3 Color episodes never exceed 6 on each disc, so bitrates certainly aren't compromised like some other TV series sometimes are, especially by a certain company that sometimes crams 10 -12 Twenty Two - Twenty Five minute episodes on each of their DVDs! :P

That said, a Blu-ray upgrade of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND would be most welcome! :)

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In fact, the Season 1 Black & White episodes never exceed 7 per DVD, and the Season 2 and 3 Color episodes never exceed 6 on each disc, so bitrates certainly aren't compromised like some other TV series sometimes are, especially by a certain company that sometimes crams 10 -12 Twenty Two - Twenty Five minute episodes on each of their DVDs!

Indeed! It never ceases to amaze me how Mill Creek gets so many episodes on a disc (whether of the 22-25 min. sitcom variety or the 48 min. or so drama variety).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Indeed! It never ceases to amaze me how Mill Creek gets so many episodes on a disc (whether of the 22-25 min. sitcom variety or the 48 min. or so drama variety).
Easy, they compromise the bitrate, which unfortunately causes such things as digital artifacting, encoding issues, and overall lower visual quality!

Sticking to a maximum of 8 half hour, or 4 hour long episodes per dual layered DVD, or at least being careful to not exceed 240 minutes, should prevent such issues.

But I digress!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Easy, they compromise the bitrate, which unfortunately causes such things as digital artifacting, encoding issues, and overall lower visual quality!

Sticking to a maximum of 8 half hour, or 4 hour long episodes per dual layered DVD, or at least being careful to not exceed 240 minutes, should prevent such issues.

But I digress!

Not to get off subject , but didn't Universal just do that with it's recent WC Fields box set - too many films on a disc with lower bitrate ?
And while we're talking about bit-rate , Gilligan on blu-ray disc would be nice , and I keep wondering why we haven't seen more classic TV released on Blu-ray Disc. Gilligan would be a natural for the format .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not to get off subject , but didn't Universal just do that with it's recent WC Fields box set - too many films on a disc with lower bitrate ?
And while we're talking about bit-rate , Gilligan on blu-ray disc would be nice , and I keep wondering why we haven't seen more classic TV released on Blu-ray Disc. Gilligan would be a natural for the format .
I believe there have been posts about the compressed W.C. Fields Universals, although the consensus seemed to be that the PQ wasn't noticeably affected, that they're more careful about it then, say Millcreek Entertainment, for instance.

Regarding GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, considering that HD versions of all 98 episodes already exist, I shouldn't think setting up a Blu-ray release would be all that difficult, although I have no idea whether these meet Warner's extremely high standards they insist upon for their Blu-ray releases, as I haven't actually viewed any of these!

Further postings relating to GILLIGAN'S ISLAND can also be made in this topic: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...ongruities-imponderables.348221/#post-4391111

Last edited:

jknu0526

Agent
Real Name
jason
completed my Dallas collection with season's 11, 12, and 13 from Ebay. (already had 14). Got JEM cartoon complete for.....uh....my little sister?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I Married Joan - V1, V2, V3 (VCI's releases)
Last of the Summer Wine - Holiday Specials 1986-1989
Those I MARRIED JOAN sets aren't bad , but I believe the show is PD and it makes me wonder why VCI hasn't attempted to release a complete set like they did with ANNIE OAKLEY.
Same goes for MY LITTLE MARGIE .

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
With ANNIE OAKLEY, VCI obtained a complete run of prints from the daughter of Gail Davis. I don't know who approached who in that deal.

Are all 98 episodes of I MARRIED JOAN out there in PD DVD or on youtube? Years ago someone wrote in Classic Images, saying they had tried to license MY LITTLE MARGIE, but it was a "legal mine-field".

recent TV DVD purchases: DD Sale... Elementary- Three Season Pack
Batman- S-3
Person of Interest- S-4
Total Cost: $43.00

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
With ANNIE OAKLEY, VCI obtained a complete run of prints from the daughter of Gail Davis. I don't know who approached who in that deal.

Are all 98 episodes of I MARRIED JOAN out there in PD DVD or on youtube? Years ago someone wrote in Classic Images, saying they had tried to license MY LITTLE MARGIE, but it was a "legal mine-field".

recent TV DVD purchases: DD Sale... Elementary- Three Season Pack
Batman- S-3
Person of Interest- S-4
Total Cost: $43.00

I had heard that I Married Joan was PD, since Joan Davis, her daughter and immediate family were dead , and no one renewed the copyrights . At least that's what I read . Anyone know for
sure ?
My Little Margie in a Legal Minefield - sounds like something Margie and Mrs O'detts would cook up!
Margie was a Roland Reed show (along with Waterfront ,Trouble With Father ,Beulah, Rocky Jones ,and Mark Saber). So I guess it would be difficult to license since Mr Reed is dead a long time and his company shut down ages ago. I can't recall any of the Roland Reed Productions being released on DVDs legitimately .
And I had wondered if My Little Margie was actually PD.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Pacific from a Thrift Store for six bux. :D

Now I'll have to find me a copy of it's "Sister Series" (Band of Brothers) for the same price!:unsure:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just now: the lot of JAG (1995-05 NBC/CBS military legal series w/David James Elliott; release is the condensed CBS full-series release)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks