What's new

What's Left on Your Grail Show List? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In times past, I'd have answered this question like most here have and listed a ton of shows. But in my old age I've mellowed a bit and instead of being anxious for more, more, and more I've come to realize I have a pretty substantial library right now and that most of my favorites have been released. On top of that, Encore Westerns and other stations have given me access to very acceptable alts of many of my favorites. Sure, I guess I'd still purchase any one of several series I own in that category, but I really do have nice versions of certain important series that suit me just fine.

So with all that said, there's only one show that is an absolute "HOLY GRAIL" that I want badly, and that would be Ozzie and Harriet. If Sam can make that series a reality then anything else is just icing on the cake at this point.

Having said all that, here are some others I'd like to see (but will stop just short of calling them "Grail" shows because I've either got them in alt sets or see them as the less than essentials.

Lassie, Big Valley, the rest of Mr Peepers, In the Heat of the Night, My Three Sons, Barnaby Jones, and The Dakotas. This doesn't mean there aren't many other shows I'd like to see released and would buy, but I can't rightly call them holy grails. Heck, there are many older shows I'd pick up just to get Christmas episodes from. But that's way too long a list to start writing now.

Gary "pretty content at this point" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
There's a lot of great shows mentioned already. Many of them I'd buy, like December Bride, Tightrope , Adventures In Paradise, Shindig, He And She , Hawaiin Eye and 77 Sunset Strip.
THE PEOPLES CHOICE , is a real "grail" title for me - it was one my favorite sitcoms growing up.
Others include , 1950's to early 60's American Bandstand , Pete And Gladys, Bronco, seasons of Jeff's and Timmy's LASSIE , seasons of 1960's Candid Camera ,Trackdown , Lawman , Hey Landlord , Father Of The Bride, Waterfront , World Of Giants , My Little Margie (and the Charlie Farrell Show), Hennesey, Andy's Gang , Captain Midnight , America / Fernwood 2Nite , Calvin and the Colonel, Love That Bob, Gray Ghost , Casey Jones, Happy (1960-61) and a legitimate release of Amos And Andy. Also Frank Buxton's Discovery show from the early 60's - anyone remember that ?

Also would love "best of " box sets of some classic game show like To tell The Truth, What's My Line , I've Got a Secret , Beat The Clock.
And 'best of " box set's on some classic variety shows , like Perry Como , Pat Boone , Dinah Shore , Gary Moore , etc

Stalled shows include : Sgt Bilko, Room 222, Dickens and Fenster , My Living Doll, Ozzie And Harriet ( what's going on with the family's plan to restore that show ?), Make Room For Daddy, Green Acres , Mr , Ed , Love American Style, My Three Sons .

I used to be optimistic , but I no longer think most of these shows will ever be released .

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Most of my most desired list are incomplete or stalled: Beverly Hillbillies, Bilko, McCloud, Famous Classic Tales, and Maverick.

My most wanted show without any release is Batman.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My TV holy grails include some Universal and Warner (Lorimar) series from the 80's:Warner (Lorimar) shows:Freddy's NightmaresMidnight Caller.

These two series, especially Midnight Caller, I'd like to see released on DVD the most. Big question is, how many music tracks are in the first season of both series? Falcon Crest and The FBI aside, these are the only Warner shows I'm really interested in getting on DVD.Universal shows:Richie Brockelman, Private Eye
Whiz Kids.After the Austrailia label Madman released The Law & Harry McGraw on DVD, I was hoping they might release the Universal series Richie Brockelman, Private Eye and Whiz Kids (especially the latter). Still hoping that one day the latter series (which includes an appearance by Jameson Parker from Simon & Simon) gets a DVD release, even if the transfers aren't great.20th Century Fox shows:Leg WorkNight Visions.The former is probably an obscure short-lived series from the late 80's, which I'd like to see released on DVD. The chances of it happening are probably unlikely (I'm hoping the UK labels Mediumrare or Revelation Films might release it).Sony shows:Hart to HartPolice StoryPolice Woman.The wait goes on for a DVD release of the third season of Hart to Hart, and I hope we see it sooner rather than later. Police Woman I'm hoping is continued either as a Shout! Select or Sony MOD release. With regards to Police Story, did Shout's first season set sell less than their Simon & Simon: Season Four set? Simon & Simon was continued by Shout as a Shout! Select title from the fifth season onwards.MGM shows:In the Heat of the NightLady Blue.I'm hoping TGG Direct are able to release some of the seasons of In the Heat of the Night inbetween the two they've released on DVD (the first and eighth seasons), and even if it is or may be an obscure series I'd like to see them release the short-lived mid-80's series Lady Blue.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
1. Saturday Morning Shows

Hot Wheels

Sky Hawks

Run Joe Run!

Westwind

These are the Days

Devlin

2. All Other Shows

Blue Angels

Whirlybirds

Spenser's Pilots

Chopper One

Firehouse

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The Farmer's Daughter (with the recent releases of Donna Reed and Hazel, I'm hoping Sony will realize its potential)
How to Marry a Millionaire (not sure who owns it but I think its FOX so probably a no go)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Grail shows, eh? OK...

Batman
Green Hornet
The Bob Newhart Show (finish)
Newhart (finish)
The Brittas Empire
Green Acres (finish)
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett
Amos 'n Andy
My Hero (British - finish)
The Burns and Allen Show
Sgt. Bilko (finish)
Whose Line is it Anyway? (British - finish)
WKRP (re-release with correct music and finish it!)

I have little hope of ever seeing any of these with possibly the exception of Ozzie and Harriett. I'd purchase any of the others on release day should someone see fit to release authorized R1 sets. There are many more I'd like to see get a *first* release as well as a large group of stalled shows I'd like to see completed but honestly I am farily content with what I already have on most of those (main exceptions above).

Like Gary I have a large library and could be very content with what I have even if nothing else were ever released. I have dozens of shows I thought I'd never see again after their original airings as well as classics I can watch over and over. For me that's really enough (but I *still* purchase new stuff all the time).

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Amazing Stories: The Complete Second Season

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Seasons 6 and 7

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour Seasons 1 through 3

The Defenders (complete series)

The Rifleman (complete series)

Cliffhangers! (complete series)

The following 8 “missing” episodes of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (the 8 episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics) together on one DVD:

[*]The Curse of Viking Lake
[*]Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
[*]Hang in There, Scooby-Doo
[*]The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller
[*]The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
[*]The Ozark Witch Switch
[*]Creepy Cruise
[*]The Creepy Heap from the Deep
[/list]
The following 4 “missing” Dynomutt episodes that comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (these 4 episodes were renamed The Blue Falcon & Dynomutt) in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics together on one DVD:

[*]Beastwoman Parts 1 and 2
[*]The Glob Parts 1 and 2
[*]Madame Ape Face Parts 1 and 2
[*]Shadowman Parts 1 and 2
[/list]
Darby

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Oh, I did forget one animated series that is pretty close to a grail for me: The 70's Harlem Globetrotters. But I'm not optimistic on that one, so my TVLand versions of about half the run will probably have to do.

Gary "as I mentioned previously, my lack of named grail shows doesn't mean I wouldn't buy many of the series that have been named here" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
St. Elsewhere.

That's it.

I just revived an HTF thread on the subject which had lain dormant for four years. I would drop a fair chunk of change on a series set--without thinking twice.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Frank Soyke said:
Much has been released over the past few years, so I thought it might be a good time to take a tally as to where we stand with our biggest wants. The questions posed for this thread are: 1) What shows do you have left on your grail list) and 2 )What are the chance of their release?) Here's mine:

1) Run For Your Life'

2) Hawaiian Eye

3) T.H.E. Cat

4) He and She

5) Beverly Hillbillies (Seasons 5-7)

6) Richard Diamond

7) Tightrope

8) It's Your Move

Unfortunately, it seems that the only two that appear to have a fighting chance are Hillbillies and maybe Hawaiian Eye (if Warner can work out the music rights). Four of the rest are one season shows that have little chance of release, Richard Diamond I can't predict, but it would be a nice title for TMG to look into. Run For Your Life I can't figure out as it is one of only a very small small handful of shows from the 60's that ran at least 3 seasons and hasn't seen a release. I have no idea why. What's your list and predictions>
I would actually be OK if none of this stuff was ever released because I have a lot of it on VHS from the old tape trading days of the early to mid 90's. I have the entire Run For Your Life set on VHS along with most of He & She, Hawaiian Eye, Tightrope, and Richard Diamond. It's Your Move I recorded first run when it originally aired in 84-85 and a handful of T.H.E Cat (prints of this show are very poor and most of the ones that are out there are of terrible quality. I would love to have all this stuff on DVD but if it doesn't happen, I will be OK with what I have.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
SANFORD (Redd Foxx's S&S sequel)
BATMAN

I would add the remaining seasons of Maverick, Young Maverick and Bret Maverick, but WA promises that they are all coming!!!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The Outer Limits (1963-65) on blu-ray
'Way Out (1961)
One Step Beyond (1959-1961) seasons 2 and 3

Gimme those three and I can die happy. I'd rather live, though, so I can watch them! :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
In times past, I'd have answered this question like most here have and listed a ton of shows. But in my old age I've mellowed a bit and instead of being anxious for more, more, and more I've come to realize I have a pretty substantial library right now and that most of my favorites have been released. On top of that, Encore Westerns and other stations have given me access to very acceptable alts of many of my favorites. Sure, I guess I'd still purchase any one of several series I own in that category, but I really do have nice versions of certain important series that suit me just fine.

So with all that said, there's only one show that is an absolute "HOLY GRAIL" that I want badly, and that would be Ozzie and Harriet. If Sam can make that series a reality then anything else is just icing on the cake at this point.

Having said all that, here are some others I'd like to see (but will stop just short of calling them "Grail" shows because I've either got them in alt sets or see them as the less than essentials.

Lassie, Big Valley, the rest of Mr Peepers, In the Heat of the Night, My Three Sons, Barnaby Jones, and The Dakotas. This doesn't mean there aren't many other shows I'd like to see released and would buy, but I can't rightly call them holy grails. Heck, there are many older shows I'd pick up just to get Christmas episodes from. But that's way too long a list to start writing now.

Gary "pretty content at this point" O.
2r3v6he.jpg

The "grail" list is always hard to condense for me. I always forget to include something when I post lists but today's list would include these..

- A Peaceable Kingdom (1989)

- And the Sea Will Tell (1991 TV-Movie)

- Apple's Way (1975)

- Big Valley released in a series box, including re-releasing the existing flipper sets S1 & S2 V1 with single-sided versions.

- Cliffhangers (1979)

- The Gangster Chronicles (1981) complete originally aired miniseries

- Three For the Road (1974)

All of my other grails have been released except for WB completing the miniseries "How The West Was Won" which I'm expecting to happen sooner or later.

If this question had been asked a few years ago, the list would take up a lot more cyberspace :D . I expect that most here are the same, they've seen some of their big-name grail's already released back during the peak of the market days.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Lots of shows that I'd like to get the few episodes that I'm missing or get upgraded from off-air records or faded 16mm prints. But, as far as what I have little of in any form:

Hank - I'm sure its not a great show but would love to see all 26 color episodes. Only have 3 in black and white. Cmon Warner Archive!

90 Bristol Court - again a terrible show but super rare. Only have a few Karens, none of the other 2 series. Would like to see a complete one, including the connecting interstitials with the handyman.

Playhouse 90 - Never going to happen due to impossibility of clearance unfortunately.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Gary16 said:
Since most of "Hawaiian Eye" is out there on Warner's streaming service does that count or does this topic refer only to physical media such as DVD and bluray?
Don't count for me in until Warner allows some sort of path to ownership. If I could burn them, I might consider streaming them...but not until!

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well, I must admit my list is getting shorter.....but here is what's left:

1.) "KNOTS LANDING" (Seasons 3-14 - Studio: Warner Brothers) - With "Dallas", "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" being continued to be either released or finished, this is the one 80's prime-time soap (and my favorite out of all) that is on a very "turtle pace" in getting released. I realize there are some music rights issues with this one (mainly due to seasons 4-6 where Lisa Hartman is singing alot of '80's tunes). Rumor has it (From the Warner Archive Facebook page) that it maybe released on the Archive program soon (Like "Falcon Crest"), Hopefully this rings true.....I used to watch this show religiously every Thursday night in the 80's/90's.....and I would love to own the whole series!!!

2.) "THE DREW CAREY SHOW" (Seasons 2-9 - Studio: Warner Brothers). This is another show with music rights issues. This show was so funny. Drew and Mimi were hysterical. I know Shout Factory released "Norm" the complete series on DVD a couple of years ago (which was also funny, but not as good as Drew's show). I bought it and it reminds me of Drew's show (great one-liners). I was hoping since this was a Warner property and Shout released the complete series of "Norm", I was hoping they would have done the same with Drew. So maybe, Drew's show will see the light of day for the remaining seasons to be on DVD by either Warner Archives or Shout Factory (either one will do fine job with it!)

3.) "ONE DAY AT A TIME" (Season 2-11 - Studio: Sony). Don't know the whole story of why this show hasn't had more releases....Sales? Music Rights?.....not sure. But I would be happy just to get up to Season 5 or 6 (whenever M. Phillips left the show).

4.) "RHODA" (Season 5 - Studio: Fox/Shout) - Hopefully Fox and Shout Factory can work out their differences, and get the last season (which has fewer episodes than the prior seasons released) on DVD. It would be nice too if they could get the Valerie Harper and Julie Kavner for an interview as a bonus! Also, there was missing footage in the premiere episode from season 1 (featuring Mary Tyler Moore). Would like to see that as an added bonus as well. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

5.) "PHYLLIS" (Season 1-2 - Studio: Fox / Shout? - Same as my #4 in regards to the relationship with Fox and Shout Factory. This was a really funny show with Cloris Leachman and the lady who played the Grandmother (can't think of her name?). Really would like to see this show released on DVD someday soon!

6.) "ANGIE" (Season 1-2 - Studio: Paramount/CBS - This was great show (often overlooked). Featured Donna Pescow ("Saturday Night Fever"), Debra Lee Scott ("Mary Hartman"), and Doris Roberts ("Everybody Loves Raymond"). Another short-lived sitcom that I would like to see released on DVD someday soon!

7.) "COACH" - (Season 5-9 - Studio: Universal) - Another show in which I don't know why it's stalled.....Sales? I don't think there was much music in this show....so I don't think it was for music rights? Would like to see the remaining seasons to be released on DVD soon!

8.) "BETTE" - (Season 1 - Studio: Not sure?) - This was a short-lived sitcom that I thought was funny.....Love Bette Midler...but my understanding (from an interview she did with David Letterman), that the head of the studio and her had differences, and the tv work schedule for the Miss Divine was "a little much". But it was a decent sitcom, that Bette did sing her songs on (also a reason why it may not be on DVD.....music rights culprit again!!!)

9.) "BATMAN" (1966 Series - Seasons 1-3 - Studio: Fox vs. Warner) - I think we all know the story on this one. But I truly think that something will happen (possibly on both DVD and Blu-Ray) when the show has it's 50th Anniversary in 2016 (I know....still a long ways off....but I think it will be released by then, imo).

Other noteable mentions (for DVD): "HART TO HART" and "THE LOVE BOAT"......and "WKRP IN CINNCINNATTI" (done the right way!!!)

Blu-Ray releases of TV shows (but already out on DVD): "THE SOPRANOS" (Warner/HBO is really ticking me off on this one.....it just doesn't make sense why this show hasn't had a complete series release on Blu-Ray yet!!!) Also, "I LOVE LUCY" (which is rumored to be in the works), "SEINFELD", "WILL & GRACE" and "EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND", I would like to see all get the Blu-Ray treatment eventually.

That's it on my list!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mrz7 said:
Blu-Ray releases of TV shows (but already out on DVD): "THE SOPRANOS" (Warner/HBO is really ticking me off on this one.....it just doesn't make sense why this show hasn't had a complete series release on Blu-Ray yet!!!)
My guess is that the sales of The Soprano Blu-ray sets that were released weren't high enough for them to release the rest of the series. The problem with that is that I think a lot of people (myself included) didn't buy those individual seasons because they've been waiting for a series set or they wanted to make sure that the rest of the season sets would get released.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just for fun I checked my Christmas TV episodes sheet to see how many I don't have that I want, and it's over 150 - and growing all the time as I research and find out about others I previously didn't know about. And the chances are that almost none of them will ever see the light of day. And that doesn't even count the ones I do have that desperately need an official, cleaned-up dvd release. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Gary "guess I'll have to be happy with the 500+ I do have" O. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks