What's new

What to do about speaker wire??? (1 Viewer)

StanikS

Agent
Real Name
Tidal
I measured in the room the amount of speaker wire I needed but wound up coming up short anyway.

Would you go buy more speaker wire or splice the additional wire needed to complete the run.

Using monster xps speaker wire.

Having an IT background I know splicing network cables is a big nono but does the same rule apply to speaker wire?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s no problem splicing speaker wire. However, to avoid future problems you want to make sure and do it right. You do not want to “twist and tape.” Electrical tape – especially the cheap stuff – will loosen over time. Plus, with some tension the wire can easily pull apart. Pressure connections make the best – as well as simplest – splices: wire nuts, butt splices, etc. The most attractive and stream-line splices are in-line, crimped butt splices. In situations where appearances matter little (like in an attic) you can use twist-on wire nuts or crimped caps.

For more information you might want to check out the Comprehensive Guide to Cable Splicing I posted a year or so ago.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

StanikS

Agent
Real Name
Tidal
Thank you very much wayne!

The cables are in the attic and I'm going to read your guide but already thinking wire nuts will be the way I go since I have plenty of those :)

StanikS

Agent
Real Name
Tidal
I went with the in-line, crimped butt splices instead and everything sounds great!

I even got some that had heat shrink tubing built into it.

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks