What's new

What Are Your Black Friday Plans? (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Let's not kid.. despite "black friday" sales, expect TONS of sales all the way to Christmas day to try and get you to spend; and with Circuit City folding locations, etc. I have expectations some of the best deals are going to happen later on in the season, as retailers get more pressure to move stuff.

JMHO.

I'm going to sit and read.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ditto. I'll be sleeping late and watching college football, then laughing at all the reports on the evening news of all the sheeple fighting over the three sale items actually in stock at any given store.

Then I'll pick up some of the real bargains closer to Christmas.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looking through the ads, I didn't see any deals I couldn't come close to or beat elsewhere. I also don't have the disposable income this year for any big ticket items that would be worth the commitment. So I'm sitting this year out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I may have a friend or family member pick me up The Devil's Rejects Blu-ray over at Circuit City. If not, I'll stay home, read comic books and order it on Amazon where they're matching the $12 price.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Happened to be driving around late tonight, and drove by Best Buy and Fry's Electronics, and both had long lines of people in tents and sleeping bags, but that was it, since Circuit City is in liquidation mode, and won't be doing any BF sales in my area.

I'm guessing many of the folks are in line for the super cheap HDTVs or maybe the PS3 80GB bundle is proving to be too good of a price. Personally, I didn't find much either, but I'll be up around 4 a.m. to see what I can scrounge up for cheap gifts.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This is the kind of thing that speaks volumes about human nature. Most of the folks out there shopping themselves into a frenzy are probably going to be charging their purchases and making minimum payments for years to come. I know we need people to spend if we're going to stimulate the economy, but as I told my wife [before she got in the car and left at 04:30 AM :rolleyes] real bargains are generally not advertised. I know there will some decent deals, but I would suspect these will be available beyond this one day.

John

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder what you mean by the "real bargains", because today really is the best day for many consumer electronics and toys. I bought a 2GB USB thumb drive two years ago, and it's only now dropped to the price I paid back then. A GameBoy I bought three years ago in 6am in a crowded Target aisle I got for the price available for that Christmas.

But this year I've got all the DVDs, USB drives, and computer software I need, so I skipped this one.

I'm enjoying a late morning with no definite plans for the day. Following a recent 12-day workweek, this four day weekend is perfect.

shawtyten

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Yup same, enjoying a nice relaxing morning watching some tv and browsing some online deals.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stuck working at the stupid radio station talking about it instead of out there in it. :frowning: Maybe there will be some cheap crap left once I'm done in a few hours.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got off work at 3:30 am and I pass by a Walmart on my way home, so I stopped in to see what they had available. Although it would be an hour before the sale prices would be made available the crowd looked more like what I would expect on a Saturday afternoon than early on Friday morning. They had a few hot button items that people were specifically waiting on like a handful of WIIs that came with a free Guitar Hero addon and a skid of $600 HDTVs, but nothing that I was in the market for. I wasn't going to stand around for an hour and fight the crowd to get an $20 pair of jeans for $8.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I guess I'm just being cynical, but I think a real "bargain," by definition, cannot be had by the masses because of limited suppy or lack of knowledge/effort. In other words, some extra work is usually involved. I guess in this case, the extra effort is in getting there early enough. My wife found her food mixer for $149.00, and even bought a microwave for an unbelievable $25.00. We don't need another microwave, but that's another story...

John

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm less tautological in my view of bargains
I think it's a (much) better price than is commonly found. But regardless of the meaning of "bargain", BF pricing is typically much better than is found the rest of the year.

We saw Bolt tonight. Fun movie; good for an afternoon off. We popped in Circuit City (not busy) and browsed for a few minutes, but there was nothing for me to buy.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Slept till 8 a.m., debated whether to order blurays from Amazon, finished editing my last wedding of the season, watch Tropic Thunder, ordered bluray drive from NewEgg (under $100 w/HD DVD rom!), ate leftovers. Neither my wife nor I even got our of our PJs today!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Oh, them leftovers wuz good! :D

Actually ran out to a Kohl's store for a quick run mid-day and even though the checkout lines were long, wife & I did a nice bit of Christmas shopping at real bargain prices. Very productive little trip (she had us well-organized!). And the lines were really moving. :emoji_thumbsup: to store management in Colonie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks